Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I am diving into the PCC pool

17 minutes ago, Startingover said:

It will lock open easy, with a firm pull.

I think I feel it starting into the wave spring, right after it gets back far enough to lock open.

I think I could shorten the travel even more, but I want to try this first.

That’s a good starting point.

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ran another 150 ish rnds through it.

Trying some doubles reasonably fast bouncing back and fourth between targets.

I should be able to keep it in the A zone!

It's much better than it was, but I think it could be better.

However, I need to remember that all the other PCCs I have been shooting, have been using reloads, and I am running factory ammo.

20180812_190236.jpg

19 hours ago, Startingover said:

I just double checked the measurements.

My carbine length tube inside measures

6  7/8" 

My A5 Vltor tube inside measures

7  3/4"

Approximately 7/8" difference

We had put in 10 quarters that is about 11/16"

I need between 11 and 12 quarters to get the 7/8" difference between the two tube lengths.

So I dropped in a total of 11 quarters with a wave spring in between the last two.

This should be a good start.

20180812_140012.jpg

Looks good...  You're making great progress!

Can't remember what bolt you decided to use...  I remember you were originally considering the Taccom Extreme bolt...  That's what I'm using, too...  Did you remove the bolt weight?  I removed my bolt weight to run a JP SCS buffer system...  Wondering if I should put the weight back in with the hydraulic buffer setup.

I just bought some 1" diameter 12" long delrin rods from Grainger...  The rods are cheap, but the shipping is expensive...  Figure I can cut one spacer off of each end of the rod so that it will remain square...  Then I'll only have to clean up one cut...  Would be nice to have a lathe.

18 hours ago, Startingover said:

Trying some doubles reasonably fast bouncing back and fourth between targets.

I should be able to keep it in the A zone!

Definitely. For reference, at around 20yds mine with chew about a 4” to 5” group in the target as fast as you can pull the trigger.

Two shots with the fastest split you can rip will  generally land around  2” or so apart.

I will say that on my personal gun, I got the gun to keep the group within the A at 25 yds with buffer and spring tuning.

Tuning to comp to the ammo (enlarging the ports) was where much of the rest of the stability came from. They’re what flattened the gun out totally.

Some guys are adamant that compensators on PCCs are merely a decoration. Those guys did not build my rifle; I have video evidence that clearly shows how much it helped.

Learning how to properly shoulder the gun and not let it rock me back AT ALL was also more of a help than you’d expect; imagine your shoulder and offhand are a vise and you are trying to crush the gun between the two. Much like gripping a handgun, driving a rifle should be work.

Edited by MemphisMechanic
5 hours ago, RaylanGivens said:

Looks good...  You're making great progress!

Can't remember what bolt you decided to use...  I remember you were originally considering the Taccom Extreme bolt...  That's what I'm using, too...  Did you remove the bolt weight?  I removed my bolt weight to run a JP SCS buffer system...  Wondering if I should put the weight back in with the hydraulic buffer setup.

I just bought some 1" diameter 12" long delrin rods from Grainger...  The rods are cheap, but the shipping is expensive...  Figure I can cut one spacer off of each end of the rod so that it will remain square...  Then I'll only have to clean up one cut...  Would be nice to have a lathe.

Faxon Gen 2 BCG 

20 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Definitely. For reference, at around 20yds mine with chew about a 4” to 5” group in the target as fast as you can pull the trigger.

Two shots with the fastest split you can rip will  generally land around  2” or so apart.

I will say that on my personal gun, I got the gun to keep the group within the A at 25 yds with buffer and spring tuning.

Tuning to comp to the ammo (enlarging the ports) was where much of the rest of the stability came from. They’re what flattened the gun out totally.

Some guys are adamant that compensators on PCCs are merely a decoration. Those guys did not build my rifle; I have video evidence that clearly shows how much it helped.

Learning how to properly shoulder the gun and not let it rock me back AT ALL was also more of a help than you’d expect; imagine your shoulder and offhand are a vise and you are trying to crush the gun between the two. Much like gripping a handgun, driving a rifle should be work.

I am not convinced the VG6 comp is the best for my application, and I don't thinkI will modify it.

I may try some others later. 

I made the comment to my buddy last night about how I need to work on pulling in tight, because I am so used to shooting my s&w 15-22, it has made me lazy.

I am not convinced the VG6 comp is the best for my application, and I don't thinkI will modify it.
I may try some others later. 

I made the comment to my buddy last night about how I need to work on pulling in tight, because I am so used to shooting my s&w 15-22, it has made me lazy.

I was running the FSB, I switched to the vg6 gamma and noticed way less dot bounce. Everything can very per load and carbine configuration of course

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
39 minutes ago, reballz said:

I was running the FSB, I switched to the vg6 gamma and noticed way less dot bounce. Everything can very per load and carbine configuration of course

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for passing that info along.

I was watching the gasses come out of it last night while my friend was shooting it.

Getting some out the sides, but not much out the little top slots 

Edited by Startingover
11 hours ago, Startingover said:

I was watching the gasses come out of it last night while my friend was shooting it.

Getting some out the sides, but not much out the little top slots 

I guess it would be considered more of a  muzzle  brake, than a comp.

It's not surprising that I am not getting much out of the small top slots, because they are forward of the first big side openings.

But it looked I was getting a fair amount of gasses out of the sides.

I will try and get some video on Wednesday at our plate race match 

3 hours ago, Startingover said:

I guess it would be considered more of a  muzzle  brake, than a comp.

Yes. Definitely.

It's not surprising that I am not getting much out of the small top slots, because they are forward of the first big side openings.

But it looked I was getting a fair amount of gasses out of the sides.

Exactly. A PCC has a fraction of the gas to work with that an Open pistol or 5.56 rifle does. Your first port absolutely needs to be upward, and its size matched to your ammo.

Think of it more like adding popple holes to the barrel of an Open gun, than a brake or comp. You want full gas pressure to come out of that port before you lose what little of it you have.

I also think that having such an ultralight front end helped to flatten my gun out: a heavier barrel and handguard are going to be harder for a little puff of gas to push around.

Edited by MemphisMechanic
On 8/14/2018 at 4:29 AM, Startingover said:

I will try and get some video on Wednesday at our plate race match 

Had lots of fun, gun ran great, it will take a little while for me to settled in with it.

Can't tell much about the gun from the vid. but I thought I would share anyway.

On 8/13/2018 at 6:47 PM, reballz said:

Assume by FSB that you mean Shooting Innovations Full Sail Brake?  I've been running SI's FSB since I first put my PCC together.

I recently ordered a Fortis 9mm PCC Muzzle Break...  It's fairly similar to the FSB, but has two top holes to provide some downward pressure...  Should be here early next week...

11 hours ago, RaylanGivens said:

Assume by FSB that you mean Shooting Innovations Full Sail Brake?  I've been running SI's FSB since I first put my PCC together.

I recently ordered a Fortis 9mm PCC Muzzle Break...  It's fairly similar to the FSB, but has two top holes to provide some downward pressure...  Should be here early next week...

I will be curious to hear your thoughts on the Fortis.

When I first started buying my parts for this build, I got the Fortis because of the thread pitch on the barrel I was originally going to use.

But then I switched barrels, so I returned the Fortis, so I could get the VG6.

( I originally planned on using the VG6 from the start )

Edited by Startingover
On 8/13/2018 at 12:41 PM, RaylanGivens said:

This turned out to be a bad plan...  The rods from Grainger are 1.005" in diameter and don't fit inside the  standard carbine extension tube or the A5 tube...  Looks like I still need a machinist.

Back to the quarters...

11 hours ago, RaylanGivens said:

This turned out to be a bad plan...  The rods from Grainger are 1.005" in diameter and don't fit inside the  standard carbine extension tube or the A5 tube...  Looks like I still need a machinist.

Back to the quarters...

Damn it!

LOL

That sucks, there is a link around here somewhere on which ones the guys are buying on amazon. 

It might be in this thread or the blitzkrieg thread

14 hours ago, RaylanGivens said:

Back to the quarters...

About 3 minutes with sandpaper did the trick for me. I cut it mine on a mitre saw, so not worried about squareness. Worked like a champ. Just kept sanding and test-fitting. 

On 8/21/2018 at 10:08 AM, Acer2428 said:

About 3 minutes with sandpaper did the trick for me. I cut it mine on a mitre saw, so not worried about squareness. Worked like a champ. Just kept sanding and test-fitting. 

That makes sense...  I was concerned about keeping the delrin spacers round, but the bottom spacer won't float with the spring...  so it shouldn't need to be absolutely perfectly super round...

Those delrin rods seem to be pretty hard...  I tried cutting one with a hacksaw and it would take a long time...  and be way out of square...  would have to do a lot of filing/sanding.

Did cutting the delrin rods damage the blade on your mitre saw?  I have a friend with a mitre saw, but don't want to risk damaging his blade cutting these delrin rods.

I have been talking to Zack Smith. He indicated that Max and him pulled their wave springs out because they were getting inconsistent dot bounce as the spring wore. Tim and I Shot mine and confirmed it. I pulled my spring out and made a new longer spacer to take up some of the space the wave spring was in (still limit travel). That Is hat I am running with my .308 rifle spring and 9mm Blitz buffer now. I still have the weight out of the bolt also.

33 minutes ago, Snopczynski said:

I have been talking to Zack Smith. He indicated that Max and him pulled their wave springs out because they were getting inconsistent dot bounce as the spring wore. Tim and I Shot mine and confirmed it. I pulled my spring out and made a new longer spacer to take up some of the space the wave spring was in (still limit travel). That Is hat I am running with my .308 rifle spring and 9mm Blitz buffer now. I still have the weight out of the bolt also.

Thanks for the update...  I am running an A5 tube,  Blitz 5007 buffer with the .308 carbine spring, a wave spring, 12 quarters and no weight in my Taccom Extreme 9mm bolt...  It shoots well, but I'm still in the initial tuning stage.

I have a .308 rifle spring, but thought it was too long, so I started with the .308 carbine spring...  I'm currently shooting 115gr JHP bullets in the 130pf range...  Would the .308 rifle spring help my setup, or is it mainly for hotter ammo?