Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

45 Acp Brass - Where Do You Get Yours ?

BigSlick

Hi guys,

I am looking to refill my meager stash of 45 ACP brass.

I have seen prices all over the place, from $35 to $65 for once fired, to over $120 for new per thousand.

Of course, everyone who sells it says it's the greatest brass you will ever find for anywhere near their price.

Can any of you tell me a good source for brass. I don't mind doing the prep myself. I hope to find a source that isn't offering 'a few mil crimps' to the tune of most of a batch.

I would love to find someone to work with for all my brass needs, as the fellow I have been getting it from for years, just passed away. His source went to the grave with him :(

I am down to my last few hundred and it's getting to be a real PITA to recycle brass every night of the week just so I can practice on the weekends.

Thanks in advance for the help ;)

BigSlick

You oughta PM Chills1994 and see what Large stash of brass he has. He was asking what size trash can to use to hold his brass.

Just received 1000 1x fired .45ACP from brassmanbrass.com

$40 shipped w/ no military headstamps to CA.

It came via USPS priority, called on Friday, delivered on Monday. I will definately be ordering from them again.

traxman

+1 Good stuff. Fast shipping. Will work with you on special orders such as 2000 of one headstamp.

Use caution on eBay. Sure there are deals out there but every so often you get someones well used seconds with military and lower level quality thrown in. With that said, I do use eBay with a few brass vendors I've had good dealings with.

--My first 1,000 or so came from eBay--mixed headstamp, cleaned, nice condition.

--Also had the guy at Emerald Gun Club sell me what he picked up off the ground there for a time--uncleaned but decent and about a $1.00 per tray of 50.

--Ed sent me some excellent stock, too, bless his heart.

--I am Ms. Range-Scrounger par excellence as well.

--I now have more .45ACP brass than I know what to do with. :D

I also have lots of 9mm (cleaned, fired-once) and .40S&W (fired once, not yet cleaned). Also a bunch of 9mm, partially fired-once, partially reloaded casings. Man, it's really starting to pile up. :unsure:

Before I got into reloading the .45ACP I was just hauling the 9mm and .40S&W off to Schnitzer Steel and selling it as salvage for about $0.36 per pound. Now I save it all... not sure why. Time to sell it or think about salvaging some of it. ;)

In .45 I will use ANY brass I can find; some has been reloaded so much the headstamp is nearly worn off. .45 generates LOW pressure & virtually NEVER head-seperates unless its been through a submachinegun like the Thompson at work ( & then its obvious to see on the case). If you can pick it up off the floor of the range & the guys in the store will let you keep it, then do not hesitate to load it. I have had them split but never seperate. Safe stuff, .45.

Im like carlos, I load them until they split, or I crush them during resizing because they get too thin. I think the brass im working on now has been loaded somewhere between 15-20 times...the stuff lasts forever.

I do like Carlos! :)

There is one problem I have encountered with some well used .45 brass. The rim diameter can acutally grow so large that it no longer fits easily under the extractor claw. I had a jam like this in practice just a few weeks ago. I miked it and it seems like the rim had mashed out to something like .486 or so. The headstamp was no longer even legible. (I think I had been using this brass since the Reagan Administration.) Anyway, it's still safe to shoot and makes good practice brass, although it may be hard on the extractor. For matches, I look at the headstamps carefully and cull the rounds that are getting pretty hammered.

--I now have more .45ACP brass than I know what to do with.

I'm pretty sure you know what to do with it, Siggy! :P But it does get pretty expensive stuffing it all with bullets and powder!

BTW, the price of copper has been heading up lately, along with most commodities. It may be wise to hang onto any brass or bullets that we aren't currently using. Just think of it as taking a "long position" in the metals market. ;)