Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Equipment Safety Inspections

One thing people may neglect is to inspect your holsters for maintenance and/or safety issues.  My 12 year old had a kydex holster that had an upper rubber bushing dry rot and place itself high enough to engage the trigger when holstering his 1911.  He had bumped his safety off pre maturely and got shot in the thigh.  Bullet entered just below muzzle and exited just above the back of his knee.  No bone or blood vessel damage and is healing great.  We always check the cleanliness of our guns and function test the safeties at every cleaning(we clean after every outing, and complete disassembly every 2 months).  But I never check our holsters or mag pouches unless they feel loose, by which time I usually have to hunt replacement screws.  The holster was about a year old and I just would never had thought about this happening.  Well it did and we will be inspecting our gear before each outing from now on.  God was looking out for my son and I don't want to see it happen to anyone else. REMEMBER GEAR INSPECTIONS! 

2 hours ago, StuckinMS said:

One thing people may neglect is to inspect your holsters for maintenance and/or safety issues.  My 12 year old had a kydex holster that had an upper rubber bushing dry rot and place itself high enough to engage the trigger when holstering his 1911.  He had bumped his safety off pre maturely and got shot in the thigh.  Bullet entered just below muzzle and exited just above the back of his knee.  No bone or blood vessel damage and is healing great.  We always check the cleanliness of our guns and function test the safeties at every cleaning(we clean after every outing, and complete disassembly every 2 months).  But I never check our holsters or mag pouches unless they feel loose, by which time I usually have to hunt replacement screws.  The holster was about a year old and I just would never had thought about this happening.  Well it did and we will be inspecting our gear before each outing from now on.  God was looking out for my son and I don't want to see it happen to anyone else. REMEMBER GEAR INSPECTIONS! 

WOW! This just happen? Hope all goes well with recovery. It's probably better that he's young. Us older guys would most likely be done if that happened.

Just now, Sarge said:

WOW! This just happen? Hope all goes well with recovery. It's probably better that he's young. Us older guys would most likely be done if that happened.

Happened last Sunday!  He had surgeon open it up today to flush, clean, stitch, & staple. They only had to open the entry & exit wounds so he was lucky.  Tough kid, never cried and really didnt realize it happened until we pulled his pants down to look.  First thing i did was check the safety and hammer tensions.  Couldnt make the hammer fall so i got his belt rig holstered the gun and felt a sluggish snap into place and held the empty holster up to the light and saw that damn bushing wedged between the kydex out of place.  I bet neither he nor I will put our rig on again without checking again!  I even special ordered him a RHT double kydex this time.  We are scheduled to shoot Alabama Sectional on March 9th and he says he wants to try to make it.  Could have a lot worse for sure.

1 minute ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Thanks for the heads up - never even considered it.

Hope your son convalesces rapidly    :) 

I never even thought that a bushing would dry rot either.  Freak accident, but we wanted to share because it only takes a few seconds to check for somethinb like that.  Thanks

8 minutes ago, StuckinMS said:

Happened last Sunday!  He had surgeon open it up today to flush, clean, stitch, & staple. They only had to open the entry & exit wounds so he was lucky.  Tough kid, never cried and really didnt realize it happened until we pulled his pants down to look.  First thing i did was check the safety and hammer tensions.  Couldnt make the hammer fall so i got his belt rig holstered the gun and felt a sluggish snap into place and held the empty holster up to the light and saw that damn bushing wedged between the kydex out of place.  I bet neither he nor I will put our rig on again without checking again!  I even special ordered him a RHT double kydex this time.  We are scheduled to shoot Alabama Sectional on March 9th and he says he wants to try to make it.  Could have a lot worse for sure.

Geeze, So sorry man. Hope he can get back out there soon. Best wishes to him!

Freak accident for sure.  Glad to hear he'll be ok.  

I totally agree on the need for mandatory gear inspections.  We all take it for granted that our gear is good to go while we spend more time cleaning, lubing and inspecting our firearms. I'll inspect my USPSA & 3gun gear.  Since my kids only shoot PCC, they only have mag pouches on their competition belts.

Best wishes to your son for a speedy recovery

2 hours ago, stick said:

Freak accident for sure.  Glad to hear he'll be ok.  

I totally agree on the need for mandatory gear inspections.  We all take it for granted that our gear is good to go while we spend more time cleaning, lubing and inspecting our firearms. I'll inspect my USPSA & 3gun gear.  Since my kids only shoot PCC, they only have mag pouches on their competition belts.

Best wishes to your son for a speedy recovery

He is doing well. Only 2 days on crutches  gets the staples out Thursday, we leave Friday to shoot Alabama Sectional.  Talk about timing!  Main reason we decided to share the incident is to get people to inspect their gear, especially the gear their kids are using.  Thanks Stick

• 3 weeks later...

He shot Alabama Sectional and had a solid match until his front sight divorced the gun on his last stage.  Would havd been 2nd in his class if not for that, but for not shooting a gun in almost 3 weeks I was tickled to see him get back on the horse.