Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm major load free space

garp

24 minutes ago, kneelingatlas said:

1.  I'm not arguing my preferred combination is objectively better/flatter/softer than yours,

2.  you said compressed loads result in higher pressure than those with "free space"

3.  and I showed why I believe your reasoning is flawed, that's all.

1.  If your combo is NOT better/flatter/softer, why is it preferred ?  Is it the extra cost, or the case being full ?   Or, something else  ???

2.  I have to agree that I do NOT have data to support that claim  - but I do feel that it has a real good chance of being an accurate statement.  BUT, no data ....    

3.  not sure how you showed me why my reasoning is flawed ????

32 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

1.  If your combo is NOT better/flatter/softer, why is it preferred ?  Is it the extra cost, or the case being full ?   Or, something else  ???

2.  I have to agree that I do NOT have data to support that claim  - but I do feel that it has a real good chance of being an accurate statement.  BUT, no data ....    

3.  not sure how you showed me why my reasoning is flawed ????

Jack. Buddy.

My current load in 38 super is 10.5 of VV N105, which fills the case up to about 1/8th inch from spilling out. Loading that with a MG 115JHP at 1.235, that load is very compressed...yet the primers look absolutely fine. I once tried about 8 grains of  Power Pistol in the super with the same 115...no where close to being compressed, but the primer was almost completely smeared.

Flattened primers have more to do with the speed of the powder than the compression of the powder.

Thanks to all for your comments. My only wondering was if there was enough "pressure" drop when using 9mm major load if the "free space" or "extra space" or "increased air volume to powder volume" or whatever term fits the conditions would be significant.  But hey, lots of good info from reading all the posts.