Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

200gr or 230gr for .45 ACP?

IGOTGLOCKED

In anticipation of adopting a 45 ACP and consequently reloading on my 650 I recall an article saying the projectile originally designed for the 45 by Mr Browning was a 200gr. It does however seem I've heard about the 230gr associated with 45 more often. These rounds will be for practice and competition (USPSA) for now.

What say thou brethren..?

I don't currently shoot 45 in competition, so take my opinion for what it's worth. I have only ever reloaded 230gr projectiles. I sometimes, in an effort to reduce reloading costs, consider lighter weights. I already have my favorite pet loads which is what keeps me from investigating further.

3 hours ago, robertbank said:

Well for home defense etc I would go with the 200 gr LSWC.  For competition I shoot 230 gr at 165 power factor primarily to reduce recoil.   Commercial 200 gr bullets will be less than 230 gr.

Take Care

Bob

Thanks Bob, that makes sense...

Cheers!

Same as 9 or 40

Heavier bullet gives more of a push

200's a little bit of snap but not much with a 1911

I use 230's when I start practicing for some of the SS matches but usually by match time I'm shooting 200's

as I prefer the "perceived" quicker "feeling" of the 200's

Honestly I split them the same on the timer so it's what you like the feel of better

Get a 1000 of each and give them a go to see what YOU prefer

I have been shooting almost nothing but .45 for the last 7 years in L10 and Single Stack, and prefer the 230 by far over the others. More weight means less recoil, and I prefer the roll as compared to the faster impulse of the 200 and 185. I have found that many of the bullet shapes like the SWC do not run well in my 1911 guns, especially running at double tap speeds.

With most of the answers here, it is all really going to go back what YOU prefer, you will shoot what feels the best for you. The younger shooters I shoot with just don't understand why the old Dinosaur sticks with the .45 instead of the .40. Personal preference. Stick with what you like.

I don't use 230gr bullets at all.  The roll mont1120 describes actually means the muzzle rises a lot and is slower to return for the second shot.  I use 200gr LSWC for bullseye.  I use 200gr LTC or Plated TC for Major competition loads and 185gr for Minor.  Because of injuries my grip strength is not as good as it should be.  Recoil to the hand does not bother me, so I go with whatever gives me the least muzzle rise when double taps are required.  That's 185gr.  I haven't worked up a 185 Major load yet, mostly because the 200gr load is so accurate and consistent.

13 hours ago, jcc7x7 said:

Same as 9 or 40

Heavier bullet gives more of a push

200's a little bit of snap but not much with a 1911

I use 230's when I start practicing for some of the SS matches but usually by match time I'm shooting 200's

as I prefer the "perceived" quicker "feeling" of the 200's

Honestly I split them the same on the timer so it's what you like the feel of better

Get a 1000 of each and give them a go to see what YOU prefer

Agreed, thx!

2 hours ago, mont1120 said:

I have been shooting almost nothing but .45 for the last 7 years in L10 and Single Stack, and prefer the 230 by far over the others. More weight means less recoil, and I prefer the roll as compared to the faster impulse of the 200 and 185. I have found that many of the bullet shapes like the SWC do not run well in my 1911 guns, especially running at double tap speeds.

With most of the answers here, it is all really going to go back what YOU prefer, you will shoot what feels the best for you. The younger shooters I shoot with just don't understand why the old Dinosaur sticks with the .45 instead of the .40. Personal preference. Stick with what you like.

Indeed, thx. Definitely not a 40 guy myself although 40(s) can be bought a good prices now. Seems like everywhere I go they try to steer me to one...

20 minutes ago, zzt said:

I don't use 230gr bullets at all.  The roll mont1120 describes actually means the muzzle rises a lot and is slower to return for the second shot.  I use 200gr LSWC for bullseye.  I use 200gr LTC or Plated TC for Major competition loads and 185gr for Minor.  Because of injuries my grip strength is not as good as it should be.  Recoil to the hand does not bother me, so I go with whatever gives me the least muzzle rise when double taps are required.  That's 185gr.  I haven't worked up a 185 Major load yet, mostly because the 200gr load is so accurate and consistent.

Not surprised as mentioned a few times the 200 was Mr Browning's choice for the gun...

Thx!