Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Howdy from Texas!

dstein

Howdy,

I have spent the last 21 years as a forensic scientist specializing in firearms (long before anyone ever heard about CSI!). Anyway, I have owned a number of handguns over the years (Glock, Colt, Sig, Ruger) and have enjoyed all of them. I’m finally getting interested in shooting USPSA and really like all that I have read and watched about STI firearms (particularly the Edge and Tactical).  I hope to purchase one of these in 9mm Luger. 

I’m here to learn from others in this great community and hope to contribute meaningfully as well. 

Thanks!

Darrell

23 minutes ago, Sarge said:

In USPSA 40 (MAJOR)scores differently than 9mm(minor)

This is true, but 9mm 1911s are SO MUCH FUN to shoot!!  It's almost worth the scoring deficit........

On another note, where did you work?  Maybe our paths have crossed.

14 minutes ago, RangerTrace said:

This is true, but 9mm 1911s are SO MUCH FUN to shoot!!  It's almost worth the scoring deficit........

On another note, where did you work?  Maybe our paths have crossed.

For sure! I'm looking at getting a 1911 in 9mm just to piddle in SS if I ever get bored with Open. (Not likely) lol

1 hour ago, dstein said:

Thank you. Showing my ignorance here. Why 40 over 9?  

As others have said, for the scoring differences. The guns you mentioned, in 9mm, would be scored minor, and you would be in either Limited, Limited 10, Open, or, if they are a true single stack, in SS division. While it is true you could shoot 9mm mj in Open, you would be at a severe disadvantage using the guns you mentioned. Find the USPSA rulebook online and read up on the division requirements before you make a decision...it could save you a lot of grief and money.