Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carry Ops>Limited?

RJH

14 minutes ago, RJH said:

This was debated further up, but about half cost for a reasonable and realistic rig, not bottom barrel limited vs top end carry ops or the other way around , so probably not lying

Between Coly and Vogel, it’s pretty soundly proven that a G35 with a frame weight - around a $1k setup - is a winning recipe for Limited Nationals too. Multiple years in recent memory.

So we’re back to square one. Because you can win either division with a Glock that has a few bits bolted onto it. Spending $5k is not mandatory in CO or in Limited.

Some guys just like handcrafted high dollar toys.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

2 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Between Coly and Vogel, it’s pretty soundly proven that a G35 with a frame weight - around a $1k setup - is a winning recipe for Limited Nationals too. Multiple years in recent memory.

So we’re back to square one. Because you can win either division with a Glock that has a few bits bolted onto it. Spending $5k is not mandatory in CO or in Limited.

Some guys just like handcrafted high dollar toys.

Pretty sure a glock has won limited 1 time and that was last year.  Maybe once a while back with Sevegney, but I am almost positive he was shooting a 2011 when he won limited. I don't think Vogel has ever won limited Nats.  When you look at the "standard" entry  gun in the divisions and mags, holsters, etc, carry ops is cheaper and considerably so.  Yes people can win limited with a glock, but it don't happen often and is by no means the standard.  Also some one could win carryops with a sigma and a 100 dollar reddot, but that isn't a realistic standard either. What could be considered a realistic "standard" beginner gun in limited would be an Edge or something very comparable, if you don't believe me read some post on this sight and look at the guns in your area and at nationals in limited.  To  say anything else is not being truthful.  In carry ops a "standard" entry gun would be a glock or one of the other plastic fantastic.  Compare the cost of those guns either both new or both used, and tell me which one is cheaper.   Your right, spending $5000 is not mandatory, but I am talking not what is mandatory, but what is standard.  In limited that equals a new start up cost of around 2400 for a total rig, and in carry ops it is about a grand or a little more.  Also if you are going to compare used prices with one type, you need to compare used prices on the other.  Or I could be completely wrong and we might see a mass exodus from 2011s to glocks with bits bolted on in limited, but I doubt it. 

the only reason people spend less on CO is they're not allowed to use custom guns. has nothing to do with performance. people like to tweak stuff, and they would tweak CO guns for no good reason if the rules allowed it. And it's a trivial amount of money anyway. couple months worth of ammo at best.

4 hours ago, motosapiens said:

the only reason people spend less on CO is they're not allowed to use custom guns

Agree 100%

has nothing to do with performance.

Mostly agree 

people like to tweak stuff, and they would tweak CO guns for no good reason if the rules allowed it.

Fo Sho

And it's a trivial amount of money anyway. couple months worth of ammo at best.

This is where carry ops shines, instead of saving that extra grand, I could be practicing my ass off.  But I wont :-)

If we are only talking money CO may be the way to go. There are good options for limited for less than 2k. The CZ and Tanfo guns are nice. I like 2011s so I shoot them in limited and open, just my preference. As others have said having a dot can be a huge advantage depending on the COF. 

40 minutes ago, SWprotected said:

As others have said having a dot can be a huge advantage depending on the COF. 

but everyone else in your division has a dot too, so it's no advantage at all. it's just another thing you have to buy, maintain, and have a backup for.

On 1/22/2018 at 6:44 PM, RJH said:

Pretty sure a glock has won limited 1 time and that was last year.  Maybe once a while back with Sevegney, but I am almost positive he was shooting a 2011 when he won limited. 

[snip]

EDIT: Straight from the Gaston Glockstyle page

Glock 35, .40 caliber
Barrel #1, serial number GWA788

Blade composition includes the pistol barrel Dave Sevigny used to win the 2005 USPSA Limited-10 Nationals and 2006 USPSA Limited Nationals, which represented Dave's 4th and 6th USPSA National Championship wins. Both of these nationals were hosted at the PASA Park in Quincy, Illinois and were composed of 18 stages with over 350 competitors participating across all divisions. The Limited-10 division differentiates itself from the regular limited division by limiting shooters to ten rounds per magazine. Dave also won several other regional and state level championships using this same barrel.
Date range barrel was used: 2005-2011

https://www.gastonglockstyle.com/knives/sevigny

As a sidenote: Kind of neat that they took old barrels and repurposed them for a blade. 

Edited by Rez805
Okay, I found a better resource

Rez, Thanks for posting that.  I new he had one L10 with a glock, but didn't remember the limited win with the Glock.  I new he won Limited with a 2011.   Seeing the different guns that people have won with over the years is pretty cool

6 hours ago, motosapiens said:

but everyone else in your division has a dot too, so it's no advantage at all. it's just another thing you have to buy, maintain, and have a backup for.

I'll keep telling myself this, to help me in not buying a dot!!!

On 1/17/2018 at 8:46 AM, Garmil said:

I’m not buying the money aspect of the original post.  You don’t need a 5k 2011 in limited. A good limited shooter with a basic Glock shooting major is also going to be around the same spot as that carry optics setup in the overall.

If there are $4K CO guns, people will start buying them. Lots of people call it poor man's open, which I don't think is wrong.  Some people prefer dots, but can't afford shooting Open, or go through the hassle, but the top guns in the game right now are polymer guns, and the steel DA/SA guns are now catching on.   I think the polymer just got the head's up on the game because that's what people carry. 

Shane won Ltd Nationals with a Glock, so yeah you don't need a 5K gun in limited.. I'm just one of those suckers that does buy the expensive guns because they're beautiful and I like them haha.

• 1 month later...