Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Strange Jam

rtr

I'm having an odd jam with my open gun.

It's a standard length 5 in major 9 gun. It has about 6K rounds thru it almost all of which was GI brass (WCC headstamp). I recently changed to regular WIN headstamp brass and have had this jam maybe a dozen times over 1000 or so rounds.

The gun fires, and the spent case gets lodged high in the slide opening perhaps even between scope mount (a dawson one side) and the slide.

A friend said I should try a lighter recoil spring (not sure what the weight of the current is, I can find out). I thought I could try increasing the powder in the load.

I'm just curious if anyone has any ideas, I know that 9mm brass capacity can vary widely and I have NOT chronoed this ammo yet.

Ideas?

It could be the different brass has a slightly different rim profile, so the extractor may not be getting a good grip on the case so it pops off the extractor before the ejector has a chance to smack it out of the gun.

Use some calipers to measure the rim width of the old/new cases, and see if there is a difference. You may just need a touch more tension on the extractor.

Try loading a round then remove the magazine and see what happens and watch the extraction path. A lot of times the rounds coming up from the mag will give you false information.

Couldn't this also be an ejector tuning issue?? If it's tending to kick these different cases more upwards (due to slight differences in the rim diameters), you might see the stuck between scope mount and slide jam he's talking about???

I have a Caspian Major 9 shorty. Gun was built by Jim Anglin. When I got the gun from him it ran like a top. Then out of the blue, I started to have jams. Same as you describe. By the way, this is a week before Area 7 match. I tried every thing, Springs, OAL, ejector, extractor you name it. Was ready to shoot limited.

Any way, My old Pin gun has ( had ) a Brazo offset scope mount. well I stuck it on and had not had a problem since.

I know some of you might say it is a bandaid instead of a fix. But it runs like a top again. You might want to give it a try

I had s similar problem in my open 9. The Brazos tuned ejector helped. Also put in a slightly heavier -- 9lb -- recoil spring and tumbled the cases after reloading. I was using Hornady case lube and it was gumming up the shells enough that it was ejecting erratically. Doing those things seemed to solve the problem (fingers crossed) so far. BTW, the Aftec didn't make much differerence terms of ejection problems.

The other thing you might check is how solid your ejector is in the frame. I just put in a new Brazos and I fit the ejector tight enough that it has to be installed with a few taps from a brass hammer. It was a good move, my gun will now literally almost pass the "ejects all rounds into a 5 gallon bucket" test.

• 2 weeks later...

I put the second (front) spring in my aftec, which had been purposely left out to break the gun in (gunsmith said I should have put it in long ago), ran some minor 9 ammo through the gun, it worked fine. We'll see if it runs the same with major ammo.

• 1 month later...

military brass is thicker inside, thus the same load in a civilian case would have less pressure and velocity...or it [/i]should

chrono the ammo.

if the brass is the only thing you changed, it was the brass!

im thinking the load isnt making the same power, thus the gun is short stroking partially ejecting the case, or doing it very lazy, it hits the slide, then the slide bouncese it between the mount and the slide....

just one theory, it might be all that other stuff, but when you change one thing and the gun is unreliable, the thing you changed is probably the culprit.

did you run out of that wcc brass?

did you run out of that wcc brass?

I'm pretty short on it, anybody have some for sale?

Adding the spring in the extractor seems to have solved the problem, no jams in almost 1K rounds.