Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Canting Mag Pouches Legal in Production?

saibot

I was looking at getting new mag pouches and the Guga Ribas and DAA Racemasters allow you to cant them out so you don't have to flex your wrist so much, but I wasn't sure if that would be allowed in Production. I looked at the rulebook and only saw that mags can't be more than 2 inches from your body. So, can I cant and/or angle my mags?

Thanks!

All of the magazine (not just the pouch) must be behind the hip bone. I little thought and you will realize canting them moves all your pouches too far back. So in effect you can can't them but it isn't a very good thing to do unless you want some of your mags to be literally in the small of your back.

Edited by Brooke

1 hour ago, Brooke said:

All of the magazine (not just the pouch) must be behind the hip bone. I little thought and you will realize canting them moves all your pouches too far back. So in effect you can can't them but it isn't a very good thing to do unless you want some of your mags to be literally in the small of your back.

I think this is why it’s best to use less expensive basic pouches for Production. 

Thank you all for the info and recommendations!

Just to clarify a couple of things (I'm slow), when I mentioned "canted" I should have explained better. Can I "yaw" them?  What I mean by that is turning them on the same axis as setting them up "bullets out" but not that far. In between bullets forward and bullets out.

I hope that makes sense, it's a little tough trying to describe what I mean. 

Thanks for bearing with me.

I just moved from Production using DAA's and recently went to Limited and got the Guga Ribas. When shooting production, I had the front one straight up and down at my hip bone and canted the back ones forward. Now that I shoot Limited, I'm trying the opposite. To the OP's point, yes with the Guga Ribas you can "yaw" them between bullets forward and bullets out. I don't think that is addressed in the rules although my observation is with the gimbal design, they would stick pretty far out and might challenge the 2" rule.

23 minutes ago, saibot said:

Thank you all for the info and recommendations!

Just to clarify a couple of things (I'm slow), when I mentioned "canted" I should have explained better. Can I "yaw" them?  What I mean by that is turning them on the same axis as setting them up "bullets out" but not that far. In between bullets forward and bullets out.

I hope that makes sense, it's a little tough trying to describe what I mean. 

Thanks for bearing with me.

Yes, you can point them any way you want, there are only limitations on where they can be on your body ( behind a line drawn through the point of both hip bones), and how far they can be from the inside of the inner belt (2" to the magazine). You can put them in any orientation you like inside those limitations, right side up, up side down, forwards, backwards, whatever you like. 

2 hours ago, Mcfoto said:

I just moved from Production using DAA's and recently went to Limited and got the Guga Ribas. When shooting production, I had the front one straight up and down at my hip bone and canted the back ones forward. Now that I shoot Limited, I'm trying the opposite. To the OP's point, yes with the Guga Ribas you can "yaw" them between bullets forward and bullets out. I don't think that is addressed in the rules although my observation is with the gimbal design, they would stick pretty far out and might challenge the 2" rule.

Any reason you moved from the DAA’s to the GR’s? I’ve been agonizing over which set to get, the RM’s or the GR’s. 

4 minutes ago, saibot said:

Any reason you moved from the DAA’s to the GR’s? I’ve been agonizing over which set to get, the RM’s or the GR’s. 

Peer pressure. ;o) The DAA's were great for 9mm mags loaded to 10 rounds but they felt a little flimsy with .40s loaded up to 18 rounds. Almost every match, I was re-tightening the screws. (I had the plastic ones. The metal RM's were too rich for my blood at $65 per) A buddy was going to GR's and I jumped in on a group buy to save a little shipping. I now realize there is a lot more possibilities in angles (yaw, cant, spinning...) so exploring that. And yes, they are a lot sturdier. Bonus; I was guaranteed in increase in my scores...

37 minutes ago, Mcfoto said:

Peer pressure. ;o) The DAA's were great for 9mm mags loaded to 10 rounds but they felt a little flimsy with .40s loaded up to 18 rounds. Almost every match, I was re-tightening the screws. (I had the plastic ones. The metal RM's were too rich for my blood at $65 per) A buddy was going to GR's and I jumped in on a group buy to save a little shipping. I now realize there is a lot more possibilities in angles (yaw, cant, spinning...) so exploring that. And yes, they are a lot sturdier. Bonus; I was guaranteed in increase in my scores...

Haha, well if my scores increase then sign me up!!!

:)