Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Used vs new

mattmann

Okay I know i just had another thread on seekins vs armalite 3 gun rifles and I could get them both for very similar prices but now I have stumbled on a used jp-15 ultralight for around the same cost with around 4-5000 rounds through it. So would this be “used Ferrari “ vs new Chevy?? Should I buy used or pass?? Please help. Don’t want to wait and it be gone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

all i can say is i have been getting bent over trying to sell a few handguns and rifles that are almost like new.  IF i were buying used now i wouldn't be considering anything that didn't have a HUGE discount off the new price.  i can say JP is top drawer, have and love their ctr02 and gmr13.

1 hour ago, mattmann said:

So you, owning two JP rifles, would consider the armalite or seekins and buy the bcg and captured spring over the JP?

i never want my gear to be my limiting factor (because i limit myself enough...) and believe in buy once, cry once.  if i was starting over again i'd buy another jp in a heartbeat, and i'd skip restaurants and bars for as long as needed to save up for one.  give them a call and see if they'll give you a late black friday or early Christmas discount, especially if they have something in stock you like.  not familiar with seekins but i also have two armalites and sold another one a while back and no complaints.

I will throw my two cents in. I have two JP CTR-02 rifles and one Armalite. The oldest JP has over 5k rounds through it with no signs of degradation, not even any spring changes. The most notable thing is some erosion of the comp baffles (comps are a wear item), and it still has plenty of metal left in the baffles. 

The Armalite is an AR10 in 308, it has around 4k through it. It has broken an ejector, a firing pin retainer spring and just recently, started having some reliability issues (I believe it needs new gas rings). The only real issue that I have with Armalite is that the AR10 platforms are proprietary and Armalite does not even stock parts for them. If you can get them on the phone, they are usually helpful and will ship small parts to help get you running (shouldn't be the case with an AR15 platform, you can use most anyone's parts).

Both manufacturers make quality rifles, but my experience with my own rifles says that JP makes a better product. I personally would not hesitate to buy a used JP over a new Armalite, given that I could inspect the JP and see what that it did not have any obvious problems. 

Hurley

5k rounds is not really that much. If you buy it throw some gas rings at it just because then start putting your spare change in a jar for a future barrel replacement. Not sure how much you plan to shoot, that barrel could be a long ways off for you. 

Have you considered just building a rifle though? You can skip all the feature comparison nonsense and just get exactly what you want the first time.

Also, while I'm not arguing with Hurley above, I don't think it's fair to compare parts longevity of an AR15 with an AR10. It's pretty apples to oranges and AR10's are known for breaking things.

Edited by TonytheTiger

I really wasn't comparing the two, just stating my experience. I wasn't trying to mislead anyone, thanks for opening my eyes. I agree, 4K of 308 is probably harder on a gun than 5k of 223. I really think my Armalite has been a good rifle with minimum parts breakage/wear for the use that I have gotten out of it. It will still print small groups when I put a scope on it. 

I do not place Armalite and JP on equal ground as far as quality (or price). 

To the OP, if that 5k used JP won't shoot tight groups, check for carbon buildup on the crown. The muzzle crown needs to be cleaned periodically to maintain accuracy. 

Hurley

30 minutes ago, HRider said:

I do not place Armalite and JP on equal ground as far as quality (or price). 

Thats fair, and I agree with you, I just didn't want anyone to take your experience as a direct comparison when you were talking about two different platforms.

5k rounds is not really that much. If you buy it throw some gas rings at it just because then start putting your spare change in a jar for a future barrel replacement. Not sure how much you plan to shoot, that barrel could be a long ways off for you. 

Have you considered just building a rifle though? You can skip all the feature comparison nonsense and just get exactly what you want the first time.

Also, while I'm not arguing with Hurley above, I don't think it's fair to compare parts longevity of an AR15 with an AR10. It's pretty apples to oranges and AR10's are known for breaking things.

I have considered building but there really isn’t anything at all that I want extra or don’t want when it comes to the JP rifles. Sure I may play around with a trigger here and there or a stick but that’s it. From front to back it’s built right imho. Can’t say that about the armalite, seekins, Nordic, etc. I think I may call JP today and see what kind of deals they may cut for me and buy a standard jp15 ultralight rifle!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk