Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

cavalry arms

skeeter

• 3 weeks later...

Cav Arms is a very good company to deal with - and the owner is a honest, stand-up guy. Some of their weird colored Ar furniture can be scary though =o)

They have their own forum at our website if you have any questiond about their stuff.

Eric

• 2 years later...

Yes! the jp trigger will fit in the calvary arms lower. I just finished assembling a lower from the Cavaly Arms 3gun match. Mil-spec parts fit very well. I did make a custom anti-walk pin (w/e-clips), for the hammer, as the cav arms lower is slightly wider at the trigger pin area than a mil-spec receiver. Although, a mil-spec trigger pin works, its my preference to have anit-walk pins.

Ergonomically, the cav arms lower fits (me) better than any of the others. The pistol grip angle is very correct, allowing fast access to the button for mag changes. The composite material they are made of is highly adaptable as well.

And, yeah, Shawn is a great person.

I have five. I like them a lot, but there are a few small design issues that could be improved. For example, once the safety detent is installed, there's no way to get it out short of drilling out the safety. I'd like to put an ambi safety in one of mine, but...

Still in all, they're good lowers.

- Chris

I have five.  I like them a lot, but there are a few small design issues that could be improved.  For example, once the safety detent is installed, there's no way to get it out short of drilling out the safety.  I'd like to put an ambi safety in one of mine, but...

Still in all, they're good lowers.

- Chris

The safety selector can be removed if the spring is trimmed per the build instructions.

Put the selector half way between safe and fire and tap out the selector with a punch and hammer.

If you're not comfortable doing this yourself, send your lowers into us with the ambi safeties you want installed with $5.00 per lower for return shipping and I can do it for you.

----------------------

We have refined the CAV-15 receiver significantly since they were first produced back in late 2000.

Information/Pictures of the current MKII Lowers:

http://www.cavalryarms.com/MKII.html

If anyone has an older generation receiver that they want upgraded to a new MKII version, it's only $30.00 plus return shipping.

MKII Upgrade program:

http://www.cavalryarms.com/MKIIupgrade.html

MY self & many of the guy's in corpus that won a lower cannot use them because we cannot reach the safty or mag release w/o shiftting our hand around. They must have been designed by a basketball player as they are to long for average hands.

That's odd...I thought that while the stock was a bit short for my taste, the grip angle was just right for me to reach the safety and mag release...

I used my (plastic) lower with a Vulcan (plastic) upper and a Colt "Standard" pencil barrel bobbed back to 17.5". Just over five pounds with a Carbon Fiber forend :D

Alex

The safety selector can be removed if the spring is trimmed per the build instructions.

Put the selector half way between safe and fire and tap out the selector with a punch and hammer.

Hmmm. I tried tapping the safety out with no luck. It's entirely possible that I screwed up doing the assembly* - are there any other tricks for pulling the safety out of there?

- Chris

* - If so, then I retract my previous statement...

well, still love mine. i've used it to win a bunch of local matchs this past year. and a 2nd at the michigan state three gun last year. my only complaint is the trigger is to heavy. but thats my fault because mime to cheap to send it off for a better one.

Hmmm. I tried tapping the safety out with no luck. It's entirely possible that I screwed up doing the assembly* - are there any other tricks for pulling the safety out of there?

- Chris

* - If so, then I retract my previous statement...

Well if the spring tension on the selector spring is too high, it is almost impossible to get out. If you do destroy/damage the receiver removing it, it's only $30 to get the receiver replaced.

If you want, you can still send it to us for the selector to be swapped out. If it ends up that I need to break the receiver to get it out, it'd be $30.00.

Up to you...

Geez, I was on the squad with all the ugly guys...

Benny, just weld up some longer levers :)

And...Liota wants one of those pink guns! Shawn, you should have enough interest by now to do a short run of them...

Alex

Well if the spring tension on the selector spring is too high, it is almost impossible to get out. If you do destroy/damage the receiver removing it, it's only $30 to get the receiver replaced.

If you want, you can still send it to us for the selector to be swapped out. If it ends up that I need to break the receiver to get it out, it'd be $30.00.

Up to you...

Oh no you don't...if anyone is going to destroy this reciever, I'm gonna do it! :D

Seriously though, thanks - I do appreicate the advice. I'll let you know how it works out.

- Chris

• 2 months later...

I got my CA MK II recvr today. I'm considering making it my 3-gun lower.

Can I stipple the grip with a hot wood burner or soldering iron?

Will JP anti-walk pins fit? (See gunny's post above.) If not, are there others that will?

Oh yeah, and what's with the carbine buffer? How is that going to affect my 20" JP-Cooley comp upper with full-weight carrier?

Edited by Erik Warren