Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A question about stock2 hammer spring

Leohe8888

My stock2 use factory 115grain 9mm ammos rightnow ,seller already built everything when i bought it,and he put 14 pound hammer spring inside Im not sure it work for all factory ammos or not ,I dont know How many pounds hammer spring i need ?

1 hour ago, Leohe8888 said:

My stock2 use factory 115grain 9mm ammos rightnow ,seller already built everything when i bought it,and he put 14 pound hammer spring inside Im not sure it work for all factory ammos or not ,I dont know How many pounds hammer spring i need ?

If it is working with the  factory ammo you are using, I don't know what you are worried about.   Who did you buy it from, Eric G?

Edited by bulm540

1 hour ago, kujo929 said:

Be surprised if 14lb won’t do it. Can always go to 15.5 patriot Defense spring if you need to. I’m using 10’s and 12’s with reloaded ammo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you ,i will try more

17 minutes ago, bulm540 said:

If it is working with the  factory ammo you are using, I don't know what you are worried about.   Who did you buy it from, Eric G?

Buy from my friend ,i just worry about if some factory ammos primer very hard cant work .

10 minutes ago, Leohe8888 said:

Buy from my friend ,i just worry about if some factory ammos primer very hard cant work .

I can tell you right now, that S&B primers are a no go with the 13 pound P D Springs but good to go with winchesters that are seated Deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep. (.006) and good with federals ( .003). What factory ammo are you using?

Edited by bulm540

1 hour ago, bulm540 said:

I can tell you right now, that S&B primers are a no go with the 13 pound P D Springs but good to go with winchesters that are seated Deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep. (.006) and good with federals ( .003). What factory ammo are you using?

herters,PPU,AE,Remington,

2 hours ago, bulm540 said:

.006 is deep.

.010 is deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep.

No dimple, no care. 

With factory ammo that you listed and 14 lbs hammer spring, it is unlikely that you will have 100% ignition. The AE will be OK but you'll still be getting light strikes. I found the best success with Speer Lawman but this ammo is intended as LE practice ammo and is loaded to +P velocities 

This is posted elsewhere, but it was enough of a pain in the butt for me to find the issue that I figured I'd add it to another light strike thread.

5a194005d41b4_firingpins2.jpg.66dc67a973b9874358b70fc34eeee05b.jpg

Oem firing pins supplied on my stock 2's. Apparently Tanfo outsources them from more than one supplier? Both guns purchased new in 2017. 

The one on the right measures 0.015" shorter than the one on the left.

The gun with the one on the right worked well for a few thousand rounds & then I started getting the occasional light strike. Best I can tell is that the hammer end of the pin deformed over time & got shorter. Want to get more rounds through the gun before spiking the football but it appears that putting the left pin in the gun fixed the problem. 

On 11/12/2017 at 7:38 PM, 

i saw few like this.

they did it on monday  :lol:

Or maybe Friday after a too much vino at lunch?

•  
  •  
  • made  in europe( ?  ) by   professional workers.;)
  • Forget to make a suitable thermal treatment
Edited by yigal

10 hours ago, YVK said:

With factory ammo that you listed and 14 lbs hammer spring, it is unlikely that you will have 100% ignition. The AE will be OK but you'll still be getting light strikes. I found the best success with Speer Lawman but this ammo is intended as LE practice ammo and is loaded to +P velocities 

How many pound hammer spring i need ?

4 hours ago, Leohe8888 said:

if its working with a 14 pound spring, why worry?  Only way to find out is to test with the factory ammo that you use.

Edited by bulm540

In general,  a good polish is worth one or even two pounds of hammer spring.

Be sure EVERY pivot point is polished mirror bright. Pins and especially holes. Polish the hammer strut, strut hole mirror bright. Then the firing pin channel.     a 14 should pop nearly everything

4 hours ago, Leohe8888 said:

Start with 14 lbs hammer spring and some vetted combination of an extended firing pin and spring. As mentioned above ^^^, 14 lbs mainspring will ignite good factory ammo with a high percentage. My problem with it was, as I already mentioned, that I would almost invariably get a light strike during a major match. Dumb luck, random occurrence, Murphy's laws, whatever you call it. The next step up would be a 15.5 lbs mainspring although I didn't particularly like the trigger. My personal solution,  in an unlikely case I ever try Tanfo again, will be a boutique reloaded ammo like AA or Asym, or pay somebody to reload match ammo to a high quality for me. I myself won't be reloading any time soon.

If the unicorns come and they are pulling a big wagon filled with federal primers, I'm going back to a 10# spring.

In the meantime deep seated winchesters ran well with a 12-13 before a firing pin problem cropped up, so that is where I will go. Maybe PD will get their firing pins in stock one of these days & that will give me a smidge more smack with the lighter springs. 

I agree that you do not have to go light, a 15.5 would probably not change my match score any, but the 10 sure felt great in double action. When you get that 1st shot 25 yard mini popper on a stage a light d.a. helps my confidence. 

Have not had the guns long enough to know how/if the hammer springs take a set & get weaker over time. Not something I worried about with any other guns but was not running things as close to the edge with those guns. Experiences? 

Yes, happened to me once at an Area match. Gun had a 14 lbs spring with half coil clipped. I shot 270 trouble free rounds of match ammo the day before and I kept thinking how great that trigger felt. Come next day, after about 6 light strikes over several stages changed to a backup gun. 

Traditionally, mainsprings are indefinite life items but, as you said, if things are on the edge, you can come across thst. 

Could have been a bad spring too, I've had that with another spring in my S2.

Edited by YVK