Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hurricanes

bufit323

REport from NW Louisiana. We got a nice breeze but that was about it.

Kay and Jerry were supposed to fly back into New Orleans from Equador yesterday but were rerouted into Dallas and Kay's oldest daughter picked them up last night. Jerry headed down to his Mom's house this morning where Kay and Jerry's daughter Lena was staying. We hear that everyone in Gramercy, LA (Jerry's home town) is doing well. Jerry went to help with clean up.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yay Entergy (local power conglomerate)! I got my power back on after only 24 hours. We had been warned to expect "several weeks" without power so this was really great. Hope everyone made it through safe and can get back to normal soon.

John

This isn't good.  And, its going to be a long fall and winter for a lot of people.  I've seen some stuff i thought I'd never see, but I don't think any of that can prepare me for what we're about to walk into.

You're not going yet are you? Don't you have to wait until the water is gone to assess the damage?

You'll love this.... my parents went to New Orleans late last week to enjoy the city and then take a 'paddle wheel' cruise up the Mississippi. While they have been to a lot of places, never N.O. Well, I finally got a voice mail from my Dad today....

'We left N.O. early (late Saturday night instead of Sunday) and steamed full power up the river bypassing a couple of the ports where we were supposed to stop. We were approximately 175 miles up the river (yesterday) when we got the rain, and winds of approximately 60 mph. Sunny today. HAVING A GREAT TIME. WISH YOU WERE HERE!'

I will admit that they are a couple of real troopers! :wub:

This isn't good.  And, its going to be a long fall and winter for a lot of people.  I've seen some stuff i thought I'd never see, but I don't think any of that can prepare me for what we're about to walk into.

You're not going yet are you? Don't you have to wait until the water is gone to assess the damage?

No, not yet. But, the bags are in the car and I'm ready go in <1hr from the call.

The death toll continues to rise. Civil order breaking down in some areas. looting - for food and water - as well as "fun and profit" reported in various areas. I, for one, hope that order and at least some services are restored before I am called to go do my job. Got the call today that staging areas for adjusters will be known tomorrow or Thursday.

I work in the Level III NICU at Texas Children's Hospital in Houston, TX. We have the largest NICU in the Nation (76 beds). We have dedicated airplanes that we staff to transport patients from other hospitals. Today, we spent part of our shift preparing our unit to accept patients from flooded/electricity-less Louisiana hospitals.

I am one of a few that is trained to staff the flight transports. I am so proud to work for Texas Children's Hospital... this hospital is just amazing. I am so grateful that I may have the opportunity to personally assist some of those in need in Louisiana.

The magnitude of this is overwhelming.

It is beginning to look like we might need a benefit match for bufit323, Troy and Jerry.

Check in and let us know you guys are safe and how we can help.

Guys, thanks, I guess that it would not hurt to mention that the name is Jim, a relatively nube shooter, C class trying to get to B a step at a time with all the help from you guys. I shoot a 226ST set up by Bruce Gray, the gun and rig survived the evac, though not much else did.

In addition, as I have mentioned in this thread, I am an engineer who does a bunch of civil water work, so this stuff happening down there is close to me in a bunch of ways. Since this is originally my "what I hate thread" I will rant once more:

I HATE:

that the city officials waited so long to call an evac, I hate that they are acting surprised that this happened. Anybody with any knowledge of that city and basic hydraulic fundamentals (advisors, or cabinet, or whatever) should have known this was a very real possibility. amd planned accordingly.

Here is the big one. I hate that they have not started doing what needs to be done to fix this yet.. . . they are going to have to BLOW the levees. Follow me on this, the levees are breached, water is flowing in like mad, there is not enough pumping to overcome this, these pumps are more than strained when the city is contained and receiving over 1" per hour of rain. Pumping now is just swapping water around. What they will have to do (or wait until these breechs do it naturally) is shut the pumps down, blow the levees, allow the pressures to equalize, fix the levees, and then begin pumping. Once the water is down, then traditional repairs can begin, until then, they are killing time.

I can only hope that the reason this has not already begun was the effort to save survivors, or not to alarm the average joe public.

I ALSO HATE:

Animals looting Walgreens to sell the drugs, Animals shooting policemen in the head during an unbelievably tragic crisis, and most of all I hate these same sub-human scum taking this chance to go over the the Police station and open up with AKs.

Once my business is settled, I will surrender my small piece of the jungle to the animals and only return to visit my folks.

END RANT

You other guys out there who are displaced like me, you are not alone, we are all going through this together, in the end, I can only hope that things will be OK for all of us.

Jim please know that the my prayers are with you and your family. And seriously, be sure to let us know what you need. Are you in a hotel now or with family?

Currently I am up with some cousins of my wife, they have been very gracious and we are very appreciative, the worst part of this is that I have nothing to do to improve my status, all I can do is sit on my backside. All will be well, thanks for the support, should the time arrive when we need to depend on the kindness of strangers so to speak, I will let you know. Fow now, we are good, stay tuned, I may need you all to check your local classifieds for jobs pretty soon. . . we will cross that bridge when it is flooded.. . .

I'm sitting here listening to the reports of looting all over my state and I'm amazed at how quickly "social order" disintegrates. The ones on the coast should have gotten out when they could but, given that they are there, I can completely understand people breaking into places to get food and water because that's the only way they can do it. That's understandable but so many of these idiots are breaking in to get some new nikes or some other ridiculous crap. Those store owners who supply jobs for the community are going to have a hard enough time getting back on their feet without someone stealing what little inventory they have left.

Now we've got people in Jackson looting. I mean it's uncomfortable and inconvenient up here because a lot of folks are without power and water but there's food available, places to go to get out of the heat, etc. It's not a life or death situation anymore but people are getting shot over a bag of ice or skipping in line at a gas station. I came in to the office to take care of a few things this morning and now I'm regretting not carrying. If you're a refugee from Katrina and you're thinking about heading home to check on the damage, my advice is to stay where you are as long as you can because the risks assosciated with returning are quickly becoming as serious as they were before the storm hit.

John

My brother lives in Slidell, and works in NO. (We grew up in Alexandria) He evacuated when he was asked to, still in Monroe waiting word to go back... And no info on how his home or neghborhood are... But the bridge he used to go to work is Gone...

My brother lives in Slidell, and works in NO. (We grew up in Alexandria) He evacuated when he was asked to, still in Monroe waiting word to go back... And no info on how his home or neghborhood are... But the bridge he used to go to work is Gone...

live in slidell and worked in NO, taking the twin spans no doubt, just out of curiosity was he a Lockheed Martin Employee, I know they are a big time commuter from Slidell. they are my wife's employer, or were?

live in slidell and worked in NO, taking the twin spans no doubt, just out of curiosity was he a Lockheed Martin Employee, I know they are a big time commuter from Slidell.  they are my wife's employer, or were?

Not sure where he works, I know he is a federal employee at a contractor site.

I hate that I STILL don't know about some of my Family. A large number of my cousins live in New Orleans area (Luling), Baton Rouge (heard from them), Slidell, and some other cities around the area.

I just HATE not knowing

Carl

I agree not knowing is the worst. The longer I sit and think about it, the more people I remember that are either in the disaster areas or have family in them.

My thoughts and prayers go out to all of those affected and their loved ones...

I am in Hattiesburg, MS. Katrina was a level II hurricane I believe when she got here. I was very fortunate and although I lost some trees, my house is fine and there is only minor damage to my fence. I can't say the same for many of my neighbors, some of whom had significant damage from large trees and then from the water let in by the gaping holes. I've been cleaning up the mess since and there is still a lot of work left. Water, power, and phones were amazingly restored to my neighborhood this evening. I think we are some of the earliest to regain power in this area though. It is strange how some places are hit so much worse than others. Some stores are beginning to open and there are long lines for everything, especially gas. The wait is 3-4 hours I am told and they are limiting you to $10 worth at some stations (at $3 per gallon).

Today we had knews that a man shot someone here (possibly his sister) in the head. They were arguing over a bag of ice.

I saw my first pictures from the MS Gulf Coast and New Orleans tonight. I am at a loss for words...

I will keep praying for all of you and your families.

Bryant

Thanks, Kyle. From what I have heard, it will be much higher. I don't think there will be many here, although I understand Laurel has 6 and it is farther north than Hattiesburg. They likely won't know the true totals for weeks, if not longer. Between New Orleans and the MS Coast, I am pretty sure the number will be well into the thousands, although I hope I am terribly wrong.

Please do, Dave. I'll message you with my phone numbers and of course you can send me an email through here. It's Hattiesburg btw, named after a railroad (I believe) tycoon's wife Hattie. I've only been here a year, but it's actually a pretty nice place for a town this size (approx. 48,000 I believe). It's known as the hub city, as it was a railroad hub between Jackson, MS, Mobile, AL, New Orleans, and the MS Coast among other smaller towns. (Sorry for the thread drift). It's terrible that two of those "spokes" have been so heavily hit by Katrina.

I found out today that a young man from here was called up by the National Guard to help on the Coast. Not sure of the exact story, but he was killed when a power line/pole fell into the Humvee he was driving. Prayers are needed not only for those in or with family in the disaster area, but also for the rescue and aid workers attempting to get them the help they need.

DB, you probably don't remember me, but we have shot a few times together in Amite and in Gonzales.

I am glad to hear that you made it through everything OK, my company ( if I am still apart of it) has on office in Tuscaloosa and in Birmingham and they both lost power till just recently as well. So it went even further north then you.

Anyway, we will keep our heads up down here, and try to figure things out one day (in the rough times, one hour) at a time.

Good luck to all of you, thanks for the kind words and the offers for help.