Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 downstroke question

Hey guys just got my 650 and in the process of setting it up and have a question. Is there suppose to be any play in the downstroke? When lowering the handle  the shell plate extends fully but the handle continues to travel for another inch or so, is this normal? I’m moving from a lee turret and when the shell plate extended fully the handle stopped. The press is securely mounted so there is no flexing on the bench. Any help would be appreciated. 

2 minutes ago, crispyrice said:

Hey guys just got my 650 and in the process of setting it up and have a question. Is there suppose to be any play in the downstroke? When lowering the handle  the shell plate extends fully but the handle continues to travel for another inch or so, is this normal? I’m moving from a lee turret and when the shell plate extended fully the handle stopped. The press is securely mounted so there is no flexing on the bench. Any help would be appreciated. 

Do you have dies installed yet? It should bottom out at the dies more or less.

4 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Do you have dies installed yet? It should bottom out at the dies more or less.

Dies are installed and it makes contact that you can feel in the handle then it goes slightly soft and travels the extra bit. It almost feels like it is flexing, hard to explain 

1 hour ago, crispyrice said:

Dies are installed and it makes contact that you can feel in the handle then it goes slightly soft and travels the extra bit. It almost feels like it is flexing, hard to explain 

Are your dies touching the shell plate at the bottom of the stroke? And then camming over?

1 hour ago, Chevyz71 said:

Are your dies touching the shell plate at the bottom of the stroke? And then camming over?

I had to look up what that was lol. But yea it seems to be camming over, if i give it another turn after it being flush it will stop the down stroke. 

I have also noticed that the dillon de priming die seems to be flaring the bottom of the brass out to where you can see it bulging. So when I do a dry run all the way through the brass concave inward at the middle

9 minutes ago, crispyrice said:

I had to look up what that was lol. But yea it seems to be camming over, if i give it another turn after it being flush it will stop the down stroke. 

I have also noticed that the dillon de priming die seems to be flaring the bottom of the brass out to where you can see it bulging. So when I do a dry run all the way through the brass concave inward at the middle

Do you have a case gauge? You should use that to see if you are sizing your cases enough or too much.  If sizing too much you could be overworking your brass.

what caliber are you reloading? Is this range pick up brass? Your brass could have been fired through a glock. I use a case pro on all of my brass to remove the bulge.

Back all of your dies out until they are no longer touching the shell plate with the ram fully raised and the handle fully down. Adjust all of your dies from this starting point with brass in the shell plate. I get the best seating and sizing results with the sizing die just slightly touching the shell plate and camming over.

Edited by 858

7 minutes ago, Chevyz71 said:

Do you have a case gauge? You should use that to see if you are sizing your cases enough or too much.  If sizing too much you could be overworking your brass.

what caliber are you reloading? Is this range pick up brass? Your brass could have been fired through a glock. I use a case pro on all of my brass to remove the bulge.

9mm with range pick up. no case gauge just use my barrel and they all fit without a problem. The bulge is happening during the sizing station it seems. Before i size them the brass is fine but once it gets sized or flared the bottom 1/4 bulges out. I'll see if i can attach some pictures

7 minutes ago, cvincent said:

That's pretty normal for 9mm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s good to hear. Coming from the lee I never noticed this until now. Just for the heck of it I threw my lee de deprimer in the press and now they look normal again. 

So so what’s the difference between the lee and Dillon de primer die?

Thanks for all the responses. I have decided to just use my lee die for sizing and it completely fixed the problem. I was more concerned withe the bottom bulging and the sides curving inward. It sure threw me for a loop

The 'coke bottle' shape you are seeing is because of  the Dillon sizing die

The rounds below were loaded on the same press using Dillon and Lee dies.  Care to guess which are which? :)

P.S. aside from aesthetics, I'm not sure there's any benefit/issue with either setup; both setups shot fine in my rig.

IMG_5948_zpspb8gajmx.jpg

Edited by muncie21

Thanks for the photo I haven’t shot any yet but I got a case gauge and they all pass so when I get a chance I’ll see how they shoot. I’m in the fine tuning of all my does and the lee seems to hang up every so often so I may be going back to the Dillon. 

I am amazed at how quite this is even when I’m just dialing it in and going slow lol

On 11/5/2017 at 2:59 PM, crispyrice said:

I am far from an expert, but it is my understanding the press is supposed to do that. The ram is deliberately designed to reach its maximum height a little before the handle reaches maximum downstroke. This ensures there will always be maximum force available for re-sizing.