Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Prima Vectan BA 9 1/2 Powder Loads/Feedback/Etc.

chaserracer

47 minutes ago, Talon75 said:

When you say hung up on the chamber do you mean they weren't feeding right? Just wondering why a longer OAL is the answer to your issue.

Oops! I meant 1.118 +/-

Yes I had 3 rounds that failed to feed and they were loaded between 1.125 - 1.135 so going to drop the charge a bit and load em a bit shorter.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok gotcha, typo threw me off a bit. Have you sized the chamber with a dummy round? That has worked well for me so far. I would also try to tighten up the difference in OAL to .005 as much as possible, I even run long rounds back through the seat die individually at the end of a session.  I'm also thinking I might(and you as well) be able to go down to 3.2 and still meet 130 PF, I'm just going by feel though till I chrono.

Edited by Talon75

Thanks for the updated info but I don't see 9.5 listed in any of that data, am I missing something? I do need to brush up on my French, been about 20years since high school. Quel temp fait il?

• 2 weeks later...

I just read thur this thread and I'm just wondering why y'all don't like sport pistol is they a particular thing that's not good about it ? I thought it was a good powder !

Edited by Dwbsig

I haven't tried sport pistol. I just wanted to try something cleaner than titegroup and a local shop had the 9.5 on the shelf so it was an easy buy. I have been really impressed so far.

• 2 years later...

Bumping to share some 9mm load data that may be of more interest to European shooters (due to the bullet used) 

Powder: Vectan Ba 9 1/2

Primer: Magtech SPP

Case: Mostly CBC (Magtech) with some S&B

OAL: 1.07-1.08" (can't seem to get very consistent OAL)

Bullet: Ares 9mm polymer coated 125gr conical nose (RNCNBB CEPRX)

Data below is preliminary based on only 5 rounds per charge weight.

3.8gr: Average velocity 1026fps, 128 PF

4.0gr: Average velocity 1049fps, 131 PF

4.2gr: Average velocity 1091fps, 136 PF

Based on this, I'm going to go with 4.0gr and will load up a larger batch to run through chrono.