Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Prima Vectan BA 9 1/2 Powder Loads/Feedback/Etc.

chaserracer

I am wondering what everyone/anyone's opinion is on this powder...I have been running it for around 3 months (3000 rds. +/-) and i really like how it burns, is somewhat clean and reasonably priced from my local store here.

I definitely had some trouble finding accurate load data but relied on the published manual from the manufacturer (using the BA9 powder info as i was instructed to do) and the comparable data from N320 powder loads.

I currently have no access to a Chrono at my local indoor practice range and the one at my local match range has not been available for use either so i have no idea what my loads would actually meter.

I'm currently running 4.0gr powder underneath a 125g lead coated Blue Bullet @ 1.125 OAL and i really like this load a lot. It shoots soft, accurate and reliably for me so far.

The closest published load data (124gr cast bullet using BA9 powder) shows as starting load of 3.4gr @962 FPS - Max. load of 4.3gr @1082 FPS

Just wondering if the above load sounds like a good recipe for at least making the minimum minor power factor. Any tips, info and suggestions are very much welcomed!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started testing this powder using Bayou 124 TCG bullets.  At 4.0gr of powder I was only seeing ~953 FPS/118 PF out of a CZ pistol.  Tested a few other bullet weights (135 & 147) and found that I needed more Ba 9.5 for a given weight bullet to reach minor PF than either N320 or PV, so I stopped my testing there.

If your results are anything like mine, at 4.0gr you are likely not making minor or if so, just barely.  Grab yourself a chrono and see where you are at, perhaps you've found the pinnacle of powder perfection with this one :)

Thanks so much for the feedback.

I'm going to contact the match director and try to reserve some time with the range chrono after the next match. Ill work up some loads varying from 4.0 up to 4.5gr.

Just curious, with your CZ were you loading at a similar OAL of 1.125?

It seems the most recent batches of the Vectan powders are a bit slower than previous batches. I remember reading BA 9 1/2 as being the equivalent to N320, but it sounds like its slower burning than N320, and from my most recent experiences , Prima V is more comparable to N320 now. At Area 1 this year I loaded 4.3gr of Prima V under a 124gr V-crown loaded to 1.110". It just got me a 130pf. All that being said, it shot very well. I have a Kg of BA 9 1/2 to mess around with, but I'm not sure what to compare it to now.

Edited by BillGarlandJr
typo

I have some BA 9.5 I picked up two years ago, and under an ACME 147gr I needed 3.6gr just to get an avg pf of 133, which made it roughly comparable to N320 for me. Haven't really messed with it since then as I have a couple years of TG to burn through first. :P

So i just took a batch to range for some practice and loaded them as 4.3/4.4gr with same OAL and i literally couldnt feel/see the difference...The gun returns the same and seems to fire almost identical groups at 7, 15, and 25 yds as my loads that were 4.0gr.

...I just need to pony up and get a chrono

Anyone have experience using them at indoor ranges?...is that even a possibility with how far away they need to be set up to read accurately?

:huh:

I experimented recently with Vectan 9 1/2, PV, Tightgroup, and N320 with 124 and 147 bullet both JHP and Hi-Tek coated. 9 1/2 is pretty much the equivalent of N320 for me both in chrono data and feel. PV burns slower and not as accurate. Tightgroup is what I normally use. I bought a case of PV and wish I had gotten 9 1/2 instead.

5 hours ago, chaserracer said:

...I just need to pony up and get a chrono

Anyone have experience using them at indoor ranges?...is that even a possibility with how far away they need to be set up to read accurately?

The chrono should be 12-15' or so from you.

You should be able to pick one up for $75-120 new, depending on the brand.  I lucked out and got a Caldwell with the tripod and serial interface (for your smart phone/tablet) for less than $100.

• 3 weeks later...

*UPDATE*

So i finally got my hands on a chrono after the match this Saturday. Below are the results i had with my current loads...

Prima Vectan BA 9 1/2 @ 4.2 grains

125g Blue Bullet (round nose)

1.125 OAL

5 shot average FPS of 1039

Average PF = 129.88

Titegroup powder @ 3.6 grains

125 Blue Bullet (round nose)

1.125 OAL

5 shot average fps 1029

Average PF= 128.63

Sounds like all the nobel sport powders have undergone some kind of changes and are now slower. 

I'm almost out of my 11 lbs of Prima V. I've been trying to find more but every where I look is sold out. 

I might need to find another powder. I don't want to go back to TG.  

@B_RAD just out of curiosity, what about the TG do you not like?

For me its hard to ignore the savings in using TG vs BA 9.5 at 3.6gr vs 4.2gr for the same exact load.

Even though I feel the BA 9.5 has a noticeably softer feel to it when shooting(and much easier to monitor when loading)... I think I want to experiment with some 147g using TG to see if it would feel similar...

1 hour ago, chaserracer said:

@B_RAD just out of curiosity, what about the TG do you not like?

For me its hard to ignore the savings in using TG vs BA 9.5 at 3.6gr vs 4.2gr for the same exact load.

Even though I feel the BA 9.5 has a noticeably softer feel to it when shooting(and much easier to monitor when loading)... I think I want to experiment with some 147g using TG to see if it would feel similar...

TG is nasty and it burns hot!  I like to go out and practice Bill Drills and other drills where the gun gets hot.  I hate waiting for it to cool down!  I don't know if you can get a pistol so hot it causes issues but that's one thing I don't like about it. 

I've found TG to be super accurate though! 

Saving .4 gr would not make me choose one powder over another. 

I just bought 8500 124 gr Xtreme so I'm gonna be shooting 124 this year.  I don't mind the snappier recoil vs the 147's. 

I want a powder that's accurate, clean, cool, cheap.  In that order.  So far as I can tell TG is only accurate. I've shot 10 lbs of Prima V this year. I'm looking for something to use next year since PV is nowhere to be found.

2 hours ago, B_RAD said:

Sounds like all the nobel sport powders have undergone some kind of changes and are now slower. 

I'm almost out of my 11 lbs of Prima V. I've been trying to find more but every where I look is sold out. 

I might need to find another powder. I don't want to go back to TG.  

don't try prima SV. That's what I switched to in 40, and it is cleaner than prima v (or ba 9.5). I don't want it to be sold out when I run out of the 34 lbs i bought last month.

I used 1 lb of ba 9.5, and I liked it, but not any better than SV, and SV is cheaper.

1 hour ago, motosapiens said:

don't try prima SV. That's what I switched to in 40, and it is cleaner than prima v (or ba 9.5). I don't want it to be sold out when I run out of the 34 lbs i bought last month.

I used 1 lb of ba 9.5, and I liked it, but not any better than SV, and SV is cheaper.

You try it for 9mm?

I know what you mean. Thats why PV is not available. Everyone bought it. 

2 hours ago, B_RAD said:

I know what you mean. Thats why PV is not available. Everyone bought it.

I'm in the same boat, scouring the interwebs for PV and none to be found.  Damn the bastards that sucked it dry from the supply chain.

I like PV because I could use it for 9 minor and .40 major, burned clean, accurate and cheaper than N320.  Guess I need to to investigate SV a bit further. :)

Edited by muncie21

5 hours ago, motosapiens said:

I would be very interested to hear about your experience with SV in 9mm. I have  loaded several thousand rounds of 124-135 coated with the older formula of Prima V and loved it. With the formula change, I am looking for a new go-to powder.

I am especially interested to hear from folks who have experience with both Prima SV and Alliant E3 as to direct comparisons of those two powders. I am extremely OCD with regard to my loading/ load development / chronoing, but I love to hear about others' experiences. I will probably use Sport Pistol for the time being,  however, I have been wanting to experiment with SV and E3.  

18 hours ago, B_RAD said:

You try it for 9mm?

not yet, but i have never found a powder that worked for 40 and not for 9, so i have full confidence it will be fine. Seems to me d-striker or someone around here posted some experience last year and decided he preferred sv for 9.

5 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

not yet, but i have never found a powder that worked for 40 and not for 9, so i have full confidence it will be fine. Seems to me d-striker or someone around here posted some experience last year and decided he preferred sv for 9.

I'm kinda annoyed that Prima V is not available. I'm wanting to find a powder that's gonna be available and that's not gonna change.  

So, I just want to find something that works! May avoid Nobel powders. 

Suggestions?