Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Scope Mounts

Rising Sight

I bought a Remington 700 stainless synthetic in .30-06 for this coming hunting season. I haven't been able to get any answers from the guys at the local gun stores about what the advantages and disadvantages are to either a one or two piece scope mount setup. I was hoping that maybe somebody here could shed some light on the subject for me.

Thanks.

I don't feel like I have enough experience to make recommendations, but my one piece TPS mount and rings has proven to be very solid so far. Here's a link that will get you to more info than you care to imagine about good tactical rifle setups.

SNIPERSHIDE

Take care, Craig

I've had a few arguments with friends on this subject. I'll always go for the two-piece base if possible. It is lighter and doesn't clutter-up the loading port. There is no strength issue. One piece of metal held by four tiny screws isn't going to turn your receiver into a Hall benchrest action.

I would rate the Talley base and ring system as the best in the world, but they will cost you and are seldom an advantage. Any Leupold or similar style two-piece base is rock solid. Weaver bases are very light, work perfect, and cost next to nothing. And to boot, the Weaver is the king of the Poor Man's Detachable mount.

My problem with lightweight 2 Piece or even one-piece mounts is that I have had my scope knocked out of alignment several times with the cheaper and lighter mounts . I finally switched to TPS rings and Base on my hunting rifle and you can beat the crap out of it and not lose your zero . Nothing worse than pulling your rifle out of the rear window rack only to find the rear windage adjustment on your Leupold base has one screw broke off .

In my opinion I dont understand why you would want to put 30 bucks worth of rings and bases on a 500 dollar rifle with another 500 dollar scope and risk your vacation time you took to go hunting by cheaping out on the parts that integrate the 2 .

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with JD45 on two points weight and getting that extra piece of metal out of my way. One comment on two piece bases and rings and that is of lapping. I think lapping rings is something that not very many people do and it will do a couple of things for you. It will protect your expensive scope in making sure that there isn't a high spot or a pressure point on your tube. I find it mars the tube much less so that if you take the scope off and put it on another rifle one day the ring marks are either not there at all or are much less noticeable. It will reduce any stress on the tube from unaligned rings. Sinclair has a very nice reasonable priced kit that I use. I lap all my rings now except verticle split rings like the Talleys that I have on my Weatherby. Here's a link: http://www.sinclairintl.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi

Rick

• 6 months later...