Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SP01 feed/jamming problem?

xdr

Was shooting a match last night with my new SP01. Had 3 incidents where a round jammed on the bottom of the feed ramp and I am not sure if it is mag related or more likely, the ammo I'm using. The rounds are reloads using Berry's 124 gr target hollow points with a COAL of 1.05. The COAL was based on the 'plunk' test and I had ran ~50 through the gun before the match with no problems. When the jam occurred, the nose of the bullet was jammed against the bottom of the feed ramp and also pushed the rest of the rounds in the magazine down nose first. Made it very difficult to get the mag out. 

Has anyone else experienced this problem with shorter COAL rounds or should I look at the mags? 

thanks

z

OK, I was able to hit the range today for a short time and the jam happened once in 50 rounds with a megcar mag whereas last night it happened with the CZ mags that it came with. So...I dont think its the mag. I also shot ~60 rounds of reloads with a round nose bullet (both 115gr and 124 gr Berry's). No jams, smooth running all the way. These are also a little longer COAL - 1.13-1.14. Again, I based the COAL on the 'plunk' test. SO, I am pretty sure its the COAL or the target HP's (square nose). Its disappointing as they shoot very well out of the SP01. 

thanks,

z

I've had the same thing happen to me with a M&P 9 Pro and an SP-01. Using FM 124 gr HP. 

Very few times, but enough to make me question my mags, at first. So my current plan is to shoot all the 124 gr ammo up in practice.

Then go to the 147 grain and see if that makes any difference. I'm getting an impressive pile of empty brass, so your reloading guidance is most welcome.

17 hours ago, mjkten said:

I've had the same thing happen to me with a M&P 9 Pro and an SP-01. Using FM 124 gr HP. 

Very few times, but enough to make me question my mags, at first. So my current plan is to shoot all the 124 gr ammo up in practice.

Then go to the 147 grain and see if that makes any difference. I'm getting an impressive pile of empty brass, so your reloading guidance is most welcome.

If your gun doesn't run properly made 124g HP reliably, there are other issues that probably need to be addressed.

36 minutes ago, xdr said:

Can you explain 'properly made' a bit more?  Are you referring to the COAL? As in its possible too short or or something else?

thanks

zr

Well if they are factory loads, they should have been properly made.

If they are reloads, they should be able to pass the plunk and spin test. If not, then you need to either adjust the resizing die, load shorter, or ream your barrel to increase the headspace. Of course it helps to chamber check before loading. 

2 hours ago, himurax13 said:

Well if they are factory loads, they should have been properly made.

If they are reloads, they should be able to pass the plunk and spin test. If not, then you need to either adjust the resizing die, load shorter, or ream your barrel to increase the headspace. Of course it helps to chamber check before loading. 

Got it, I do the plunk test everytime I buy a new bullet and load according to that. I learned early on to also chamber check as you suggest...dont ask how...:-)

I have two other CZ I am going to try the 124gr HPFP in to see if the problem follows the round. I really hope it is not my gun, but I know for certain I cannot increase the overall length as it wont chamber for sure. Funny thing is these are the most accurate Berrys Ive loaded...I use 3.6gr of TG and they really group well. 

Thanks for the reply. 

z

Got it, I do the plunk test everytime I buy a new bullet and load according to that. I learned early on to also chamber check as you suggest...dont ask how...:-)
I have two other CZ I am going to try the 124gr HPFP in to see if the problem follows the round. I really hope it is not my gun, but I know for certain I cannot increase the overall length as it wont chamber for sure. Funny thing is these are the most accurate Berrys Ive loaded...I use 3.6gr of TG and they really group well. 
Thanks for the reply. 
z
Certain profiles have to be loaded short.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 6:47 PM, mjkten said:

I have heard reports that some shooters hold Freedom Munitions in low regard. 

Properly made? Poor QC?

Hoping to find out. And exactly what are Factory loads these days?

Their quality control is a bit lacking. Their competition grade stuff will barely cycle a stock glock.

Factory loads are supposed to be the crap you buy off the shelf. I believe the old standard was roughly 115g FMJ going around 1150 FPS.

I suppose it was kind of a rhetorical question, Federal, Winchester, Fiocchi, etc. are all manufacturers. But what about those who claim new manufacture?

I have shot several thousand FM in 124 and 147 grain bullets, all new. Only issues have been with the 124 grain, and only about 5 in 3k. But I still don't like that.

So just wondering if my experience is typical. Same fault as the OP's.

Underpowered ammo with an incompatible nose profile, or loaded too short?

Anyway, I'll work my way through it.

30 minutes ago, mjkten said:

I suppose it was kind of a rhetorical question, Federal, Winchester, Fiocchi, etc. are all manufacturers. But what about those who claim new manufacture?

I have shot several thousand FM in 124 and 147 grain bullets, all new. Only issues have been with the 124 grain, and only about 5 in 3k. But I still don't like that.

So just wondering if my experience is typical. Same fault as the OP's.

Underpowered ammo with an incompatible nose profile, or loaded too short?

Anyway, I'll work my way through it.

I loaded up a bunch of RN and the HP this weekend, did the plunk/spin test, also loaded a bullet into a empty case and pushed it into the chamber. Backed off slightly from that length. Still had problems with the HP's. The RN were perfect. I also tried the HP in my P07. Ended up with one jam, exactly the same as what occurred on the SP01. Definitely the bullet profile/OAL. The interesting thing is they group the best...

z

Not sure how many rounds you have with your SP01, or which variant it is, but this thread from the CZ forum addresses many common break-in issues: http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=22862.0

With a stock SP01 or stock shadow, points 2 and 3 are relevant and sound like they might be related to your issue. 

Good luck!