Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Factory sight on a 929 is exactly the width of the A zone at 20 yds.  I am considering a narrower sight and will probably choose a FO.  Two in the black at the NC Sectional cost me a stage win. 

What does everyone else use?

Thanks

Paul

I might be one of the of the only people I know that uses the same size front as factory, .125, and a smaller, .110 rear on a 929. 

Its really just just personal preference, and you either have to spend a lot of money buying different options, or ask to check out a lot of people's guns. 

I don't worry about sight width compared with targets. I just want to see light on both sides of the front sight.

(In his book, Brian describes his rear sight notch shape of the time: wider at the bottom to let him see more "through" the sights.)

10 hours ago, jcc7x7 said:

Went with .110 on the 929

Usually open the rear to .130

I like .010 light bars or Gap on each side of the front sight

Best for me for speed and accuracy

If you have a .110 front and .130 rear on a 929 you have more than .010 on each side of the front sight. 

1 hour ago, MWP said:

If you have a .110 front and .130 rear on a 929 you have more than .010 on each side of the front sight. 

Yes you do; but I have no way of accurately measuring that amount.

So

I use the simple way of explaining it and for my eyes and shooting style having the rear sight .020 wider than the front sight on a 1911/2011 works perfectly (FOR ME)

I used the same basic thought process on my 929 and it's been working very nicely even though the sight radius is approximately 1" longer.

• 1 month later...

I know the discussion here is about 929's, but it's worth remembering that the sight picture will also depend on the sight radius.   The exact same front and rear sight dimensions will look different as the barrel length changes.   It becomes a big factor in something like GSSF, where one might be shooting both a long slide and a subcompact in different events.  If you put the same sights on both guns, you probably won't be happy with one or the other.