Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 Primer Change

I really don't mind changing from one caliber to another. I usually only takes me 15/20 minutes. I have the dies on heads, so all I have to do is change the little caliber intensive parts on the press and slide the other head into place. BUT, I really hate to have to change from one size primer to another. The primer punches have a 9/16 nut on them and you can't get to it with a ratchet. Even an open end wrench is a hassel. Anybody have an easy way to make the change over?

I really don't mind changing from one caliber to another. I usually only takes me 15/20 minutes. I have the dies on heads, so all I have to do is change the little caliber intensive parts on the press and slide the other head into place. BUT, I really hate to have to change from one size primer to another. The primer punches have a 9/16 nut on them and you can't get to it with a ratchet. Even an open end wrench is a hassel. Anybody have an easy way to make the change over?

I takes me about 5 - 10 minutes to change calibers and large to small primer or back. I have small and large primer set ups, and tool heads set up for each caliber. As for the primer punch I raise the press to the top and use a 9/16 open end. You could also try a 9/16 crows-foot on a ratchet with an extension and the press at the top. :ph34r:

GuildSF4 does it the same way as I do with a open end wrench. There is no easy way it's a PITA and the threads for the punch are not the smoothest so quite often you can't turn the punch in with your fingers. Also be careful of the index ring return spring which is right behind the punch. I've screwed up a couple of them by hitting them with the wrench. :angry:

Tackled .45 acp

Came head to head with the Primer system.

I'd like to watch someone do a .357Mag to .45acp changeover in 10 Minutes.

To Marvel-Admire and learn how it is supposedly done.

It took ME most of the morning.

(Admittedly- after acomplishing it the 650 churned out beautiful rounds in quick time)

I couldn't figure out how to get to the primer punch without partially dismanteling the press. At the very least removing the primer "Ski Jump".

When I got to it, I couldn't get my 9/16 wrench on it. I finally got it off with a 19/32" that I had lying around (Dosen't everyone???).

The 19/32 was big, but it worked. I believe that the nut IS supposed to be 9/16 like the manual says; but the finish on the nut is rough and try as I might, I couldn't get my 9/16 over it.

When I got to it, I couldn't get my 9/16 wrench on it. I finally got it off with a 19/32" that I had lying around (Dosen't everyone???).

The 19/32 was big, but it worked. I believe that the nut IS supposed to be 9/16 like the manual says; but the finish on the nut is rough and try as I might, I couldn't get my 9/16 over it.

Did you polish up the finish on the nut so the 9/16 will fit next time?

You know there WILL be a next time, don't you? :D:D:D

dj

dj

NO........................I didn't

It didn't even occur to me that this could be done???????????

Thank you............I will try that !!!

dj

How do you "polish" a nut ???????

I forgot to mention eariler that if you grind the side flanks off of the wrench it fits in there a lot better. Go get a cheap one at Kmart or somewhere like that. The nut doesn't have to be that tight so you don't have to worry about quality. Also if you hold the wrench down at a 45 degree angle it gives you better access.

As I said in a prior post I'd pay admission to see someone do a major conversion on a 650 in 10 min. <_<

I forgot to mention eariler that if you grind the side flanks off of the wrench it fits in there a lot better.  Go get a cheap one at Kmart or somewhere like that.  The nut doesn't have to be that tight so you don't have to worry about quality.  Also if you hold the wrench down at a 45 degree angle it gives you better access.

As I said in a prior post I'd pay admission to see someone do a  major conversion on a 650 in 10 min.  <_<

T-handle ball driver 1/4" allen, 3/16" ball driver allen, 1/8" ball driver allen, Fully set-up spare heads, and fully set-up primer systems. 9/16 wrench or crows-foot. (I don't remove the primer ski jump.) (I don't have a case feeder, my overhead too low, I have several brass tubes)

My solution is to use .45 ACP NT brass (uses small pistol primer) or, alternatively hand prime ordinary .45 ACP brass after first running it through the sizing/decapper station. .

Doing it this way let's me avoid changing the primer punch. It works for be but, admttedly, I don't load much large pistol stuff. (500 .45 ACP rounds keeps me in ammo for 3 months)

DVC,

Sam Spiteri

My solution is to use .45 ACP NT brass (uses small pistol primer) or, alternatively hand prime ordinary .45 ACP brass after first running it through the sizing/decapper station. .

Won't work for me. I've got 45 LC, 45ACP, 44 special, and 44 mag to load along with misc. rifle stuff.

I haven't got a 9/16 sheeps foot. But I will pick one up. Found an old open end wrench that I'm going to take the bench grinder to. It can only help.

Easier solution,

Buy two XL650's.

Leave one in large, one in small, problem solved. I kinda did.

Think about it. Everybody wins. Buy it off Brian and you get a good deal, You happy.

Stop muttering and mumbling and bitching about changing the primer system, your wife happy. Better yet, really bitch at her and see if she come up with the dough.

Oh come on. It might actually work.

Sorry what was I thinking. :D