Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Witness Elite Limited – my first time.

JROTTY

Quick update.  After returning the gun to all stock (except that I keep the 12# recoil spring) and polishing the feed ramp and breach face to a mirror finish, the gun was flawless!

Stuffed 18 rounds in each magazines (with a 1.125 COAL) and no FTFs or light strikes.  The trigger was a bit heavier (as would be expected) but not really that bad.  The fact that it was 100% reliable easily overcame the heavier trigger pull.  And this thing is consistent and accurate!  I plan to measure exact pull this weekend.  I'll shoot it like this for a while and look at reducing the trigger pull after full break-in.

On 10/4/2017 at 3:56 PM, JROTTY said:

On Glock mags, for example, when using extended base pads (especially the +5 type) the lower inside edge of the mag tube as to be smoothed-out so the mag spring does not get hung-up. Same thing for the Tango mag tube?

Yeah, same thing.  sorry i didn't see this earlier.  looks like it starting to run nicely.

• 2 weeks later...

Shot a steel challenge match last Saturday.  Probably one of the best matches (of any type) that I shot this season.  My Tanfo was flawless - no FTFs or light strikes.  I finished 10th overall (30 shooters total).  Still need to measure the actual trigger pull.

Good !  Success is always enjoyable.

Don't get too bothered by the actual pull weight,  just focus on the smoothness.   A highly polished gun with a 6 pound trigger  will feel better than a 5 pound trigger that is gritty.  At least to me. 

On 10/20/2017 at 6:17 PM, johnbu said:

Good !  Success is always enjoyable.

Don't get too bothered by the actual pull weight,  just focus on the smoothness.   A highly polished gun with a 6 pound trigger  will feel better than a 5 pound trigger that is gritty.  At least to me. 

You are absolutely right.  Coming from a tuned Glock (model 22 .40 S&W) with a 3.5lb trigger - still not as smooth as the stock tigger on my polished Tanfo.

4 hours ago, JROTTY said:

You are absolutely right.  Coming from a tuned Glock (model 22 .40 S&W) with a 3.5lb trigger - still not as smooth as the stock tigger on my polished Tanfo.

I'm coming off of a no expense spared Glock 17, light trigger heavy trigger i shot it the same...for me the heaviness and stability along with a real SAO makes it a completely different gun.  I'm still a slave to the audible and positive glock reset that I have to train out of.

On 10/28/2017 at 4:31 PM, SoCalShooter69 said:

No you're not.

thx man, ready to train out of it, REALLY enjoying shooting a SAO

9 hours ago, Fasthenk65 said:

what's a glock?

for me as a competition based gun it wasnt a good fit, as the owner of a jewelry store a Glock 19 stays on my hip daily.

Edited by drivenagain

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got my "Wheeler Engineering Trigger Pull Gauge"

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/192807/wheeler-engineering-trigger-pull-gauge

After 6 pulls, not more that 4.5 lbs and not less than 4.25 lbs.  For me, that's perfect.  No mods on the gun other than a good internal polish.  Probably have about 800 rounds through it.  Will be interesting to see the trigger weight at the end of next season (approx. 2,000 more rounds).

I got the same in 9mm.  I figured that's right around where I am after my polish, right now its just super crisp the way I have it, very happy although I havent shot a match with it yet, i prob have around the same round count, maybe 1000.

• 5 months later...

I'm working up a minor load for my 40 S&W limited custom to shoot steel challenge.  A 180 grn Blue Bullet over 3.3 grn of Titegroup, puts the power factor right at 135.  Considering reducing the recoil spring from the 11lbs that I use for USPSA major loads to something lighter - like 8 to 10lbs.

Anyone else shooting a 180 grn minor load is a limited custom?

7 hours ago, JROTTY said:

I'm working up a minor load for my 40 S&W limited custom to shoot steel challenge.  A 180 grn Blue Bullet over 3.3 grn of Titegroup, puts the power factor right at 135.  Considering reducing the recoil spring from the 11lbs that I use for USPSA major loads to something lighter - like 8 to 10lbs.

Anyone else shooting a 180 grn minor load is a limited custom?

Not limited but I'm shooting a stock 2 ( 40 cal) in production and I am using an 8 pound recoil spring with 165 BBis. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm taking delivery of a new Elited Limited in a couple of days and looking forward to it.

What will the trigger pull be if I only change the hammer spring to a 13 pound one?

Ignition shouldn't be a problem. I'm using an S1050 and primers are currently coming out at .005 to .006 below flush. 

It's a 9mm so shouldn't an 8 pound recoil spring be okay?

I went through the whole process with a Stock II, a year or so ago, and at one point the SA was down to 15 ounces. I would rather see this one near 2 and 1/4.

LImited will be about  3 1/2 to 5# pull weight out of the box depending on tolerance and such.  It will be less sensitive to hammer spring poundage as it's SA only.   So you can run a 15.5 PD spring, with full set of "optimized" springs for trigger return, sear and firing pin return.  That spring set with  a decent polish will result in about a 2.5 pound.  Going 13# may get you down to 2# even.  For my way of looking at things, that 1/2 pound is not worth the worry about perfect ammo, perfect primers.   I run the spring set listed and it's reliable.