Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RO talking to shooter after LMR

B_RAD

When I first started shooting, I heard somewhere that you should give 1-4 seconds before the start signal. As such I set my personal timers to a random start between 1 and 4 seconds...

At this point I have enough reps with this configuration that I'm conditioned to hitting the button and letting the timer do the work for me. Any time I hit a timer button and it immediately beeps, I think "aw shit."  - After enough times doing that, I make sure to determine how the timer is set up before running any shooters. 

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, reverse_edge said:

When I first started shooting, I heard somewhere that you should give 1-4 seconds before the start signal. As such I set my personal timers to a random start between 1 and 4 seconds...

At this point I have enough reps with this configuration that I'm conditioned to hitting the button and letting the timer do the work for me. Any time I hit a timer button and it immediately beeps, I think "aw shit."  - After enough times doing that, I make sure to determine how the timer is set up before running any shooters. 

Random can cause issues if something pops up after you hit the button. 1-4 seconds is more than just “ I heard somewhere”. It’s in the rulebook:

.3.3 “Standby” – This command should be followed by the start signal within 1 to 4 seconds. 

9 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Random can cause issues if something pops up after you hit the button. 

A very good reason NOT to use random start on your timer.  If you notice something (or worse, someone) downrange after you have pressed the button, you may not be able to convey "STOP" fast enough.  Especially if there's any kind of language barrier with the shooter.

43 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Random can cause issues if something pops up after you hit the button. 1-4 seconds is more than just “ I heard somewhere”. It’s in the rulebook:

.3.3 “Standby” – This command should be followed by the start signal within 1 to 4 seconds. 

I now know that it's a rule. But when I was new, I just remembered overhearing it, and it seemed reasonable enough, so I set my own timer to delay and got busy practicing.

The first time I was asked to help RO, I was just tapped to help because I'd been shooting for a little while. Now I know better.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/18/2017 at 8:06 PM, davsco said:

after your run, just ask the guy to stick to the basics if he runs you again.  if i have a chatty RO or one that skips 'standby' or the like, normally i just live with it but sometimes ask him to do it right.

Every RO must use the correct range commands. end of discussion.  They're not hard to learn.  As for talking after giving the MR command. Unless answering a question from the shooter, stick to the script.  Every competitor deserves their time on the line to get their game face on.

On 11/1/2017 at 9:40 AM, reverse_edge said:

Those are some good points. I think as shooters, we forget we're in control of the situation. 

One of the first times I helped RO at a local, I accidentally quick-beeped a pretty good local shooter. Felt pretty bad, but lesson learned.... 

Absolutuly nothing wrong with saying STOP and putting hand on shoulder...
STOP is an official range command.
Apologize and so OK I am gonna start u over. are u ok or want to let another shooter go ?
And do the ok MR wait a bit to let em get game face on and go down the line.
My timer you hold button down,,,, it beeps when you release,, either instant, 3 secs or random.
Alot of other timers beep when you push the button,, not release...Ive done it a time or two.
I figure if I am RO I want to score the shooter best I can, but I also want to give them a fair shake to do their best. My screw up shouldnt affect them... If I screw up I will stop and either let them restart or reshoot as desired by the shooter

Edited by Joe4d