Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 17 major loads

jtrump

After all this info and everyone who contributed to this post I am sorry.   I bought the "custom built glock"  took it home broke it down, looked at a few different things, put it back together and and made a phone call to get my money back.   

Needless to say I am soon to be the owner of a sti dvc open in .38 super comp, so now I'm even more screwed up than before hahahaha..    Incoming post,  Load data for open major using WAC in .38 sc  124g PD jhp.

SIGH:wacko:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After all this info and everyone who contributed to this post I am sorry.   I bought the "custom built glock"  took it home broke it down, looked at a few different things, put it back together and and made a phone call to get my money back.   

Needless to say I am soon to be the owner of a sti dvc open in .38 super comp, so now I'm even more screwed up than before hahahaha..    Incoming post,  Load data for open major using WAC in .38 sc  124g PD jhp.

SIGH:wacko:
I would still urge you to go with slower powder. HS6 is still a great choice, as well as 3n38, AA7, and others. Shooting a .38 allows you to utilize the slower, better feeling, safer powders to make major.

Congrats on your 2011. I'll warn you though, they are a disease with no cure I've found yet.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, Gooldylocks said:

I would still urge you to go with slower powder. HS6 is still a great choice, as well as 3n38, AA7, and others. Shooting a .38 allows you to utilize the slower, better feeling, safer powders to make major.

Congrats on your 2011. I'll warn you though, they are a disease with no cure I've found yet.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

So I've heard,   I own the DVC limited, might as well have the open to right?   I may plan to try out some 3n38 if I can justify the cost of it over wac,  at nationals they were the two top powders, but you are correct 3n38 seems to be the most popular at that level anyhow.

On 9/12/2017 at 11:52 AM, jtrump said:

Hey guys, I promise I hit the search button multiple times but I keep getting an error!

First off, jumping into open with a Carver custom Glock 17,   I've loaded for various pistol calibers for uspsa SS/limited/production but never 9mm major. 

Any extra pointers would be great "do's and don't of 9mm major"  and some load recipes that may be compatible with this platform.   I probably do not have any of the right bullet weights, types or powder on hand.  I will keep reading as well!

Bullets/powder/accuracy/flatness etc.   

Thank you in advance.

I shot an SJC Glock 17 that I built myself for the last 2 years, which is going to be simliar to your Carver. It had a SJC custom fit KKM barrel with an 11 port comp. I enjoyed the gun tremendously and would highly recommend it to anyone that wants to shoot open but is on a budget.  I did not want to invest 4-6k in a hobby that I wasn't for sure if I was going to do it for a long time.  I tried a lot of different recipes and settled on the one below with notes on why I chose those items.  I would also HIGHLY recommend trying 3n38 because they actually have published loads that meet SAAMI specs and would be safer to experiment with. 

Berrys 124 HBFP-TP,  (You can seat this bullet out longer then usual which gives you more capacity in the case)

7.5 grains of Silhouette (Produces a lot of gas for the comp, is very clean at this amount & seemed to shoot the flattest)

CCI 400 (rifle primers) (harder cup primer and made me feel a little safer in a plastic gun & provided an extra 10-15fps)

1.135 OAL (This provides the most amount of capacity in the case while still fitting in the magazine. It will not fit in a case gauge unfortunately)

Good luck, be safe and remember to work up your loads.   Jason

Just now, jsoupene said:

I shot an SJC Glock 17 that I built myself for the last 2 years, which is going to be simliar to your Carver. It had a SJC custom fit KKM barrel with an 11 port comp. I enjoyed the gun tremendously and would highly recommend it to anyone that wants to shoot open but is on a budget.  I did not want to invest 4-6k in a hobby that I wasn't for sure if I was going to do it for a long time.  I tried a lot of different recipes and settled on the one below with notes on why I chose those items.  I would also HIGHLY recommend trying 3n38 because they actually have published loads that meet SAAMI specs and would be safer to experiment with. 

Berrys 124 HBFP-TP,  (You can seat this bullet out longer then usual which gives you more capacity in the case)

7.5 grains of Silhouette (Produces a lot of gas for the comp, is very clean at this amount & seemed to shoot the flattest)

CCI 400 (rifle primers) (harder cup primer and made me feel a little safer in a plastic gun & provided an extra 10-15fps)

1.135 OAL (This provides the most amount of capacity in the case while still fitting in the magazine. It will not fit in a case gauge unfortunately)

Whoops, just realized that your bought a different gun. Oh, well maybe someone else will find this info helpful someday.   

8 hours ago, jsoupene said:

I'm not shooting berrys at 1400fps ;P   EVEN if they say there rated, I'm going with FMJ's haha.

Also  my glock rounds are loaded out to 1.155,  around 1.162 I run into magazine issues,  glock 34 S3F barrel.

8 hours ago, jsoupene said:

Whoops, just realized that your bought a different gun. Oh, well maybe someone else will find this info helpful someday.   

I am deff going to try out 3n38,  trying to source some locally so I don't have to send powder valley my next unborn child for shipping and hazmat, for a 4lb jug.

52 minutes ago, jtrump said:

I'm not shooting berrys at 1400fps ;P   EVEN if they say there rated, I'm going with FMJ's haha.

Also  my glock rounds are loaded out to 1.155,  around 1.162 I run into magazine issues,  glock 34 S3F barrel.

Not sure what I was thinking on the OAL comment. The reason why I had to load them at 1.135 was since the bullet was a flat point that was the longest you could make them while still giving the case something to crimp onto.  

I would definitely look at Precision Delta 124 FMJ-HP if you are going to do FMJ.  If you buy 2k of them at the same then they are basically the same price as Berry's and you get free shipping.  They are also fully enclosed metal jacket even on the bottom of the bullet.   

56 minutes ago, jtrump said:

I am deff going to try out 3n38,  trying to source some locally so I don't have to send powder valley my next unborn child for shipping and hazmat, for a 4lb jug.

I hear ya......I am lucky because Powder Valley is about 45 mins from my house so I can just go pick it up but then I do have to pay sales tax

3 hours ago, jsoupene said:

I would definitely look at Precision Delta 124 FMJ-HP if you are going to do FMJ.  If you buy 2k of them at the same then they are basically the same price as Berry's and you get free shipping.  They are also fully enclosed metal jacket even on the bottom of the bullet.   

Yep I ended up ordering PD's,  I've got my load to chrono!

3 hours ago, jsoupene said:

I hear ya......I am lucky because Powder Valley is about 45 mins from my house so I can just go pick it up but then I do have to pay sales tax

lucky sob.

On 9/12/2017 at 1:55 PM, Gooldylocks said:

Disagree. Go search through some threads of people with case head separations, and what are those people all shooting? WAC/CFE.

Edit: I shouldn't have said "blowing up" guns. You probably aren't going to actually blow up a gun with any of the powders mentioned. However, blowing out a case in the middle of a stage run might as well be, because your match is over.

One thing to consider is the number of people that use WAC over HS6.  If you look at the equipment survey for Open Nationals for the past few years, WAC is used by FAR more people than HS-6.  

Anything that is used in a much larger sample size is going to have more statistical occurrences.

On 9/12/2017 at 1:55 PM, Gooldylocks said:

Disagree. Go search through some threads of people with case head separations, and what are those people all shooting? WAC/CFE.

Edit: I shouldn't have said "blowing up" guns. You probably aren't going to actually blow up a gun with any of the powders mentioned. However, blowing out a case in the middle of a stage run might as well be, because your match is over.

One thing to consider is the number of people that use WAC over HS6.  If you look at the equipment survey for Open Nationals for the past few years, WAC is used by FAR more people than HS-6.  

Anything that is used in a much larger sample size is going to have more statistical occurrences.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 9:52 AM, jtrump said:

Hey guys, I promise I hit the search button multiple times but I keep getting an error!

First off, jumping into open with a Carver custom Glock 17,   I've loaded for various pistol calibers for uspsa SS/limited/production but never 9mm major. 

Any extra pointers would be great "do's and don't of 9mm major"  and some load recipes that may be compatible with this platform.   I probably do not have any of the right bullet weights, types or powder on hand.  I will keep reading as well!

Bullets/powder/accuracy/flatness etc.   

Thank you in advance.

I loaded a glock 17 with an sjc comp on it a few times, sorry to say from my point of view the glock will just not hold up to major loads.  I was using a montana gold 124 grain RN, with 7 grains of autcomp.  the gun was very sharp.