Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New to Tanfoglio and USPSA

Kamkaze

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, ClintMorris said:

We had the discussion on the Titan hammer being SSP legal a few months back and we came to the conclusion that it was. The stock 3 xtreme in 45 acp comes with the titan in the 2017 Tanfoglio catalog. By installing wooden grips, lightweight guide rod and factory base pads it would be under 43 oz making it SSP legal. Could also shoot it in ESP or CDP if you wanted to. 

See thread here:

Thank you that must've been what they were referring to.

They are legal in USPSA Production and IDPA SSP

production rule:

Appendix D4 21.4 Grips

For semi-automatic Production guns, grip tape, grip
sleeves, checkering, stippling or other texture may only be applied in the areas shown in appendix E4. Glue and grit is considered the same as stippling.

Replacement grip panels are allowed provided they
do not extend below the butt of the gun to form a make-shift magwell.

Revolver grips may be replaced with OFM or aftermarket grips of any shape, profile and surface texture.
Special Notes/Clarifications:

See 22.2, below, for specifics with regard to modifications on revolver grips. 

SSP rule:

8.2.1.2.B 

Grips may be changed to another style or material that is similar to factory configuration and do not weigh more

than 2.00 oz. more than the factory standard weight for that model. 

You are full of great information thanks again.

+1 

I'm very happy with mine for my limited pro, will soon be ordering one for the stock 3. 

Well worth the wait! 

I ended up going with one made by whoever makes Patriot Defenses holsters, that way they can use my pistol to make the holster, the fit seems slightly off in the stock 3 holsters I've tried it in.  I'm not sure what the difference in the frame is but it must be slightly different.

5 hours ago, Kamkaze said:

I ended up going with one made by whoever makes Patriot Defenses holsters, that way they can use my pistol to make the holster, the fit seems slightly off in the stock 3 holsters I've tried it in.  I'm not sure what the difference in the frame is but it must be slightly different.

Ok, that's good to know that a stock 3 holster will not properly fit. 

Do you happen to know what company makes the holster? 

I wonder if PD will start stocking some to sell along with the stock 1 since they seem to need their own specific holster...? 

2 hours ago, ClintMorris said:

Ok, that's good to know that a stock 3 holster will not properly fit. 

Do you happen to know what company makes the holster? 

I wonder if PD will start stocking some to sell along with the stock 1 since they seem to need their own specific holster...? 

I am 99% sure that he said it was Triple T Holster there is Kemah, Texas where they are located.  He said they are double layer and I had them add the BOSS hanger at yalls recommendation.  He did mention them doing a run of holsters.  I want to say that I can't confirm 100% that the Stock 1 wont fit in Stock 3 holsters, I just know it didn't feel right in the Bladetech I tried, and local guys custom holster.  I did read though that a lot of people felt that the Bladetechs "hung up" with Stock 3's as well if you didn't draw completely vertical, so that might have been what I was feeling.  I will let PD comment for sure as to the maker and if they will be in stock.  I am looking to have them make an IDPA legal holster for me as well.

I found this on PD's site and I am assuming it will be identical to this except it will be for the Stock 1.

https://patriotdefense.com/product/patriot-defense-tanfoglio-stock-2-competition-holster-large-frame/

I also found this description:

"The frame is the Stock III: It has a longer fore end up to the slide muzzle for better balancing of the muzzle"

Maybe that is the fitment issue?

My stock III holster was molded from my stock III and it also fits  my limited  custom perfectly. The stock I was just ever so slightly off. It was noticeable at the  slide stop not being perfectly  lined up. When I had a holster made for it today the owner said I really didn't  need to and it was still a good fit. 

24 minutes ago, 01Deuce said:

My stock III holster was molded from my stock III and it also fits  my limited  custom perfectly. The stock I was just ever so slightly off. It was noticeable at the  slide stop not being perfectly  lined up. When I had a holster made for it today the owner said I really didn't  need to and it was still a good fit. 

Good info thank you!

11 hours ago, Kamkaze said:

I am 99% sure that he said it was Triple T Holster there is Kemah, Texas where they are located.  He said they are double layer and I had them add the BOSS hanger at yalls recommendation.  He did mention them doing a run of holsters.  I want to say that I can't confirm 100% that the Stock 1 wont fit in Stock 3 holsters, I just know it didn't feel right in the Bladetech I tried, and local guys custom holster.  I did read though that a lot of people felt that the Bladetechs "hung up" with Stock 3's as well if you didn't draw completely vertical, so that might have been what I was feeling.  I will let PD comment for sure as to the maker and if they will be in stock.  I am looking to have them make an IDPA legal holster for me as well.

Ok thanks, sounds like the verdict is still out. 

Can you post some pics and vid of the stock 1?

I dont speak mario, so the videos that exist now are less than worthless. The photos that exist currently are pretty bad too. Nothing really showing close ups of the gun and its parts.

Heck, even a small review would be cool.

He is a picture  of mine. 

It has a 2 piece sear, conventional rifling and aluminum rear sight. Slide serations are very aggressive. Front strap finger grooves  are very subtle and serations  on front and back strap while not checkering are not bad at all. 

I have added  a extreme FO front sight, Henning grips and standard ambi-saftey. 

20170924_164926-1280x1102.jpg

20170917_090454-480x592.jpg

Edited by 01Deuce

19 hours ago, Alderleet said:

Can you post some pics and vid of the stock 1?

I dont speak mario, so the videos that exist now are less than worthless. The photos that exist currently are pretty bad too. Nothing really showing close ups of the gun and its parts.

Heck, even a small review would be cool.

I am putting up pictures so you can compare the new Stock 1 to the Stock III and Stock II
I do NOT claim to be an Expert....I just know what I like and do not like...so here are my thoughts.

My take on it:

The Stock 1 is the same size as a Stock II.  But overall, what is, is a shortened Stock III

Finish:  It is more of a matte finish ....it is not shiny like the Stock III

It has a unique front strap and back strap grip pattern, that I found works for me....I like it. (but the front grip will grab cloth like the rear slide serrations)  

It does not have a over travel screw like the Stock III

It does not have a ambi safety  and the safety has been trimmed down.  I am pretty sure this is to make it fit in the IDPA box. 

I like the front and rear serrations both make it easy to manipulate the slide.

The hammer is the same hammer as the Stock II.
The rear sight is interesting....being used to the Tanfoglio Super Sight that is on the Stock II and Stock III, I found the Stock I sight to be unusual. I plan to upgrade it to a fiber optic front sight and see how it goes. 

The SA trigger is very nice (IMO) and very comparable to what the Stock III and Stock II are out of the box.
The DA trigger to me seems a little lighter than the  Stock III and Stock II out of the box. It is smooth and stacks up at the end before it breaks. (I got a 5 pull average of 7lbs 4oz...but it feels a little heavier than that to me.)

Overall I LOVE this gun.
I am considering putting a Vortex Viper on it and running it in Carry Optic.

In a nutshell.....to me it is a Stock III with a fashion upgrade and shortened by 1/2  with the goal to make weight and fit in the box of IDPA.
And hopefully make weight for USPSA Carry Optic without any mods to make it lighter.

Definitely worth the money. 
(please do not critique my 3 shot group picture...I am blind in one eye and can't see out the other)

3 TFs-Right Side-labled.JPG

3 TFs-Left Side.JPG

Edited by DenverDave
To add more data.

47 minutes ago, Alderleet said:

Thats awesome. I’ve been waffling back and forth between a bare bones sp-01 shadow and a lim pro. Now I’ll have to give this a stern look, since this seems like a winner out of the gate.

Just my 2 cents......I have a LimPro....Love it....but I love the Stock 1 more.

10 hours ago, DenverDave said:

I am putting up pictures so you can compare the new Stock 1 to the Stock III and Stock II

My take on it:

The Stock 1 is the same size as a Stock II.  But overall, what is, is a shortened Stock III

Finish:  It is more of a matte finish ....it is not shiny like the Stock III

It has a unique front strap and back strap grip pattern, that I found works for me....I like it. (but the front grip will grab cloth like the rear slide serrations)  

It does not have a over travel screw like the Stock III

It does not have a ambi safety  and the safety has been trimmed down.  I am pretty sure this is to make it fit in the IDPA box. 

I like the front and rear serrations both make it easy to manipulate the slide.

The hammer is the same hammer as the Stock II.
The rear sight is interesting....being used to the Tanfoglio Super Sight that is on the Stock II and Stock III, I found the Stock I sight to be unusual. I plan to upgrade it to a fiber optic front sight and see how it goes. 

The SA trigger is very nice (IMO) and very comparable to what the Stock III and Stock II are out of the box.
The DA trigger to me seems a little lighter than the  Stock III and Stock II out of the box. It is smooth and stacks up at the end before it breaks. (I got a 5 pull average of 7lbs 4oz...but it feels a little heavier than that to me.)

Overall I LOVE this gun.
I am considering putting a Vortex Viper on it and running it in Carry Optic.

In a nutshell.....to me it is a Stock III with a fashion upgrade and shortened by 1/2  with the goal to make weight and fit in the box of IDPA.
And hopefully make weight for USPSA Carry Optic without any mods to make it lighter.

Definitely worth the money. 

Great comparison write up.  The stock 1 is my first Tanfo so I couldn't compare it to anything else.  The lack of ambi safety and lower profile safety were all done to cut weight to make it IDPA legal, same with the thinner profile barrel.  I am planning on doing CO with mine as well once PD gets the milling figured out. What is the weight limit for CO?

2 hours ago, bulm540 said:

Stock trigger? That is nice.my stock 2 out of the box had a 10+ trigger pull for da and. 5 pound sa pull. 

Yes, stock out of the box.  I believe the SA pull numbers.....but to me the DA feels heavier than 7lbs ...but it does feel lighter than my Stock II and Stock III.
Again, I do not claim to be an expert .  When I measure a trigger, I measure it from a prepped trigger.  (slack taken up) so that may be where the difference in the numbers is.

Edited by DenverDave

2 hours ago, DenverDave said:

Yes, stock out of the box.  I believe the SA pull numbers.....but to me the DA feels heavier than 7lbs ...but it does feel lighter than my Stock II and Stock III.
Again, I do not claim to be an expert .  When I measure a trigger, I measure it from a prepped trigger.  (slack taken up) so that may be where the difference in the numbers is.

I agree the DA feels way heavier, I don't have a digital trigger pull meter but the one I have maxes out at 9lbs and my DA pull maxes it out plus some, I was guessing 12 or so.