Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1050 Primer hold down die: Level 10 & EGA dies

I have been using the Everglades Ammo 1050 primer hold down die and after some tweaking of the dies, have it working like a champ and have eliminated 99% of the high primers I was experiencing.  I am not sure it can be beat for the price.  http://www.evergladesammo.com/ega-hold-down-die.html

Being a gadget guy as well, I just stumbled across the Level 10 1050 primer support die.   It looks pretty interesting and well constructed.  I like the spring action in this die compared to the EGA, but not sure how much of a difference, improvement or increase in safety in affords.

https://lvl10i.com/collections/all-products/products/priming-system-support-die-for-super-1050

Curious to get some feedback from anyone using the Level 10 1050 primer support die.

Edited by Chris777

The benefit of the L10 is it accommodates varying brass thicknesses, which the Everglades does not.  I also have the Everglades and it does work but there are times I wonder how beneficial it is as I use mixed brass for pretty much all my pistol loading.  I haven't run into any issues, but like you before spending the coin the L10 piece would like to hear some feedback, as it is a bit spendy especially if you get some for multiple toolheads.

Yeah the Everglades version is great if you only run one headstamp, or run in batches of headstamp, as it's fairly quick to adjust if needed batch to batch.  There are time when I run all Federal or all Win as well myself, but there are times when I just run mixed lots and it's maybe not as useful, but still has some benefit probably.

Seeing as I have just about all L10 offers, I will likely try their version too at some point :).

I installed a F&FB heavy-duty shell plate and what problems there were, went away.

I also, took out the OEM swage rod and hold down/neck expander and put back a new F&FB swage rod and backer. This provided several advantages.

Not only does the new swage rod and backer accurately swage brass, but it also acts as a fail-safe in case a primer fails to come out during resize. Adding to all that, it holds the shell plate down during priming.

35 minutes ago, MikieM said:

I also have a fixture that allows me to measure primer seating depth, and with the a fore mentioned set-up I consistently get .005 deep primers on my S1050.

Please share a pic.  I have been looking to do the same.