Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for bench ideas, search CL for "Equipto"

Chills1994

I didn't want to hijack the Kobalt bench thread.  I figured that used surplus parts bins and benches would be ideal for reloading.

Searching all of Craig's List for the manufacturer "Equipto", I found this workbench:

00W0W_aQ7mEdLGoDC_600x450.jpg

for $250 on Tucson CL.

Equipto is also known for their parts bins/drawer units:

00k0k_4szEmvDYqo3_600x450.jpg

If you're handy, you could make some legs for that and a top.  Or gang two or more of those drawer  units together to make a bench.

Other makers to look for are Lista, Vidmar, and Durham Manufacturing.

We had a kitchen renovation because of some issues. I had some cabinets that I had installed in my work room. I didn't care about a surface so I said, just use reinforced wood.

I found an old college professor desk from Habitat for Humanity thrift store for $40. It's about 120-140 lbs. solid wood.

All you will do is drill a bunch of holes into a table. It doesn't need to be expensive. The table has to be solid to provide a stable base for your presses.

I have three progressive and one single stage.

f95a03b85e09ac35a020e6d13d6083d2.jpg43ef1c36644aaec8fe085b50e060cbf0.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

On Wed Sep 06 2017 at 8:42 PM, CDRGlock said:

We had a kitchen renovation because of some issues. I had some cabinets that I had installed in my work room. I didn't care about a surface so I said, just use reinforced wood.

I found an old college professor desk from Habitat for Humanity thrift store for $40. It's about 120-140 lbs. solid wood.

All you will do is drill a bunch of holes into a table. It doesn't need to be expensive. The table has to be solid to provide a stable base for your presses.

I have three progressive and one single stage.

f95a03b85e09ac35a020e6d13d6083d2.jpg43ef1c36644aaec8fe085b50e060cbf0.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Very nice!

I am currently using an old dresser for my reloading bench right now.

The downside is the wooden drawers were not meant to carry the weight of bulk bullets.  Which of course got me looking for drawers with ball bearing slides...which in turn led me to Snap On Classic 78 rolling toolboxes.  Even used, those Snap On rolling toolboxes are not cheap.  Cha ching!  

At my work, they have several Durham manufacturing metal shelving cabinets that would be ideal for storing powder, primers, cases, or bullets.  They are really sturdy, and the doors lock.  So it would present a neat appearance...kind of an uncluttered out of sight out of mind thing.

Then the different shops and labs at work have Lista cabinets with real maple butcher block counter tops.

Very nice!

Edited by Chills1994

17 hours ago, lefty o said:

^ thats nice looking for a plywood bench!

It looks like the plywood got doubled up in thickness.  Then the raw edges which would normally show the laminations got covered with some real wood.

It looks like the plywood got doubled up in thickness.  Then the raw edges which would normally show the laminations got covered with some real wood.

Yes. You're right. I put 1x2 pine around the edge to make it look nicer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 9/10/2017 at 9:04 AM, camaross400 said:

Yes. You're right. I put 1x2 pine around the edge to make it look nicer.

What are the dimensions on that?  I'm trying to figure out how much depth I actually need on my bench before I build it.  I like that L-shape.   

What are the dimensions on that?  I'm trying to figure out how much depth I actually need on my bench before I build it.  I like that L-shape.   

The bench is 6ft by 7ft 8in. It is 25 1/2 in deep including the pine trim.

It looks like you upgraded to a 1050 from an LNL like I did!

Yep sold one of the LnLs to move to a driven 1050. Having to load for 3 of us now was the main factor. Kept the other LnL to do the stuff I shoot in lower volumes

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

My bench came from the scrap bin. Cheap B/C plywood trimmed in mahogany. Bench itself is 2 layers of 3/4 plywood covered by a layer of 3/4" MDF. Very solid (and very very heavy).

Ignore the LNL - it's long since been replaced by a Dillon 1050.9b0b33d71522cf11e41c5bbc0570975b.jpg

M

PS there is also a LOT more junk on those shelves now! LOL

Damn you people!!!!  I now have bench envy!  LMAO!!!  Bad thing is, I have ZERO room.  I need to move into another house that actually has a garage, basement or a room for a bench.  Sigh...in the meantime I will have to live vicariously through all of you and your wonderful benches while I stick with my little, small, measly portable bench.  LOL!!!!

On Mon Sep 18 2017 at 2:24 PM, R1_Demon said:

Damn you people!!!!  I now have bench envy!  LMAO!!!  Bad thing is, I have ZERO room.  I need to move into another house that actually has a garage, basement or a room for a bench.  Sigh...in the meantime I will have to live vicariously through all of you and your wonderful benches while I stick with my little, small, measly portable bench.  LOL!!!!

I remember those days of smaller portable benches.

Luckily, the Air Force bases I was at had their own wood hobby shops, so I was able to make my own bench back then about 20 years ago.  One base had a mortising machine so the first bench I made is mortise and tenoned together.

It's now in my basement where all my casting equipment is stored.

I am still looking at metal drawer cabinets and tall storage cabinets on Craig's List...I keep telling myself there has got to be a neater more organized looking way to store all the reloading paraphenalia.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

yeah....I have seen those HF benches.  

I was leaning more towards the metal tool boxes and such because the drawer runners or drawer glides should have ball bearings, so I could load them down with bullets.

At Home Depot, Husky does make an adjustable height bench which would kind of solve that age old question "How tall should I make my bench?"