Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Area 1 Gm Attendance

ong45

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Cajun Mafia has 6 of us that travel to at least 7 big matches a year. First is the match format and location. Most of these places we have to fly to. So ease of bringing our guns on the planes is important. So if we can get a flight into a destination without changing planes is a plus. Also the location of the airport to the range. We went to Bend for the Nationals, but there is no way we could go there again for an Area match, great range, great people. sorry but logistics sucked. Next is the amenities, or other things to do. Thats why Florida, Las Vegas, Reno, Pheonix, VT. ect have such appeal to us.

BTW we went to a couple of sleeper matches this year off the beaten path that were fantastic and planning on returning next year.

What we have noticed is that the matches with good reps are filling up earlier and earlier every year.

I guess it comes down to what Erik said, its bang for the buck. Shooting a match with 8 stages and 200 rds. will not be high on the Gotta GO list. Average trip last year.

Match fee - 150

Plane ticket - 350

Rental car - 200

Hotel - 260

food - 250

parking, fees, gas, misc 200

It ain't cheap......

Road trip with friends, seeing old ones and making new ones - priceless

Just like any organization the most vocal people are usually the ones who do it for a living. Sometimes the ones who actually keep the organization going (B,C,and D shooters) aren't heard. I think the separate entry fees for pro/am would be a great idea at a lot of matches. All the major matches I've been to cater to the minority (GM's). This is frustrating for us lowly class shooters. The lottery seems like a good idea to me.

All the major matches I've been to cater to the minority (GM's).

How do they cater to GM's? I've never heard that one before. How do you cater to any class of shooter?

I keep hearing urban legends about this "catering." A great UL that I heard at A-1 was how the God Squad gets to do the walkthrough with drawn pistols and take sight pictures.

Sigh... :rolleyes:

I guess I'll have to start the next urban legend about how the Super Squad has a catered buffet with cavair and shrimp cocktails that follows them around the match.

The logistics to Bend aren't *that* bad if you simply fly into PDX and drive to Bend. It's hardly longer to do that than to wait to change planes and fly there.

ha

We did and it was that bad. I'm not just picking on Bend. My point is that there are some venues that are more accessable for shooters than others, so that is where the majority of shooters will go if all other factors are equal.

All the major matches I've been to cater to the minority (GM's).

How do they cater to GM's? I've never heard that one before. How do you cater to any class of shooter?

I keep hearing urban legends about this "catering." A great UL that I heard at A-1 was how the God Squad gets to do the walkthrough with drawn pistols and take sight pictures.

Sigh... :rolleyes:

I guess I'll have to start the next urban legend about how the Super Squad has a catered buffet with cavair and shrimp cocktails that follows them around the match.

Don't forget to mention that the buffet is served to them by attractive waiters and waitresses who also double as caddies, brass rats, mag cleaners, umbrella and fan holders, etc........