Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Widespread Interest In Practical Shooting

EricW

It's funny how the social climate is changing. More and more often now, when people ask me what I'm doing next weekend and I respond: "...going to a shooting match," they show more interest instead of changing the subject. They usually ask more questions, and I tell them what kind of shooting I like to do. Then they get more interested.

After the A-1 match, I was sitting in an Italian restaurant in Missoula, looking through the match booklet and thinking about how I FUBAR'ed the stages and planning out some training drills. The guy waiting on me at the restaurant decided to check out the match booklet, just fascinated by it all. He didn't even own a gun, but I'm pretty sure he'll be making a drive out to the Deer Creek range soon. It was the same deal with the gal working in the shooting section of the sporting goods store. She wasn't a gun owner, and I wouldn't have pegged her for a future run and gunner, but amazingly, the interest was there.

I've gotten so use to the "Oh Ick! You have guns!" schtick that I've just been taken by surprise by the interest - especially by younger people. The government-subsidized brainwashing has clearly failed, and I'm pretty happy about it.

This isn't a political rant. What it *is* about is that I've decided to get some USPSA business cards and keep a few on me. I think the next time I run business cards, I'll probably put a "Get Started In Practical Shooting!" blurb on the back with a link to USPSA's website. That way, I won't have to write URL's down on napkins for people anymore.

There's a world of future USPSA members out there who think this stuff is cool. :)

Nice idea on the business card Eric. One of the things that I would like is some return address labels with an USPSA logo. I get them from places like the NRA now and Ducks Unlimited.

I have seen the same thing lately.

I work in a decidedly "anti-gun" environment. Put it this way...only one other person in my office didn't vote for the "D" candidate for president.

So last week I am gone to Area 1 and apparently word got around as to where I was and what I was doing. I get back to work and there is this steady stream of people coming in asking how I did and asking a lot of questions about the sport.

It's just weird! :wacko:

Good idea about the biz cards Eric!

I have submitted a proposal to USPSA HQ some time ago for a "mini membership flier" printed on a business card to be made available to interested members, perhaps through club presidents at SC's. I don't expect any action on this until after the nationals, however, it is on the 2do list.

One of the ways I test the waters is let people ask what my personalized license plate means. Of course, the conversation falls right into 'competition shooting' and Sundays-at-the-range details. It's surprising how either tolerant or interested some people are at that point.

post-1852-1120018792_thumb.jpg

Not only that, my pilot knows I shoot regularly and wants to get back into a little plinking himself; so we've been having serious conversations about my helping him buy a decent pistol and coming to the range as my guest and getting back into the swing of some light recreational shooting. This is GOOD.

One of the ways I test the waters is let people ask what my personalized license plate means. 

So, what is it?

Back when Andy Hollar was president, he was at a stoplight in Virginia (the year we had one of the nationals in Fredricksberg) when someone pulled up and said "I noticed the USPSA plate - are you Boudrie?", which I took as a divine sign I needed to order that plate in my state.

Eric, Rob,

I've made some cards. Did them myself so they aren't professional, but I think they get the job done. They have our section website on them but that could be easily changed to uspsa.

If someone could tell me how to post a picture, I'll put one up here or pm me your email address and I'll email you the attachment.

I just got off the phone with Sedro. You can order brochures from them for free. I'm getting a dozen. I'd still like to have a double-sided business-size card with USPSA's info on the front, maybe some blurbs on the back, and a spot to write in your local club's URL.

Brochures are nice, but they don't fit in my wallet. When I re-run biz cards, I'm going to have the USPSA website and my local clubs websites printed on the back, with a heading of maybe "Discover Practical Shooting!"

Everybody keeps whining about the adverse political climate. I honestly don't think that's as true as it used to be. Good people seek out other good people; it's basic human nature. We just need to let them know where to find us. :)