Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stock II trigger reset problems....

MikieM

A good friend of mine has a Tanfo Stock II with all the parts necessary for a good trigger, and like many here he uses Winchester primers but has to take what he gets as far as seating depth goes.

To help with the problem he removed some material from the BOLO to gain a bit more arc in his hammer, as per a recent thread outlining how the job could be done. He says he removed .006 from the BOLO.

So here's the deal. At the match today he had at least five failures of the trigger to reset during SA fire. Could he have removed too much? And, if so, what might be the remedy?

Thanks, Mike.

Edited by MikieM

Where specifically did he remove material from?

SA reset comes from the amount of the curve on the disco. So I'll need a little more information to diagnoses the issue. 

Is his sear spring bent? Was his gun really dirty? There are a bunch of things that can cause a failure to reset in SA...

Removing .006 off the nose won't effect SA with the bolo.

Edited by SoCalShooter69

1 hour ago, noshootmagnet said:

I'm Mikiem's friend. The problem occurs on the last round of the mag. When the last round is stripped from the mag, the trigger doesn't reset. Hit the mag release and it will reset. 

As mike said, I am left handed and switched the mag release to be lefty friendly.  

So basically this has/had absolutely nothing to do with the bolo, but we're blaming the bolo in post 1.

Switch the mag release back, my man!

"Switched mag release.

ONLY occurs  on last round."

Sounds like the height the mag is held is off a bit or it's being pushed off to the side and is rubbing on the trigger bar.

If a mag is contacting the trigger bar, you need to find out where / why and correct it.

The last round has the weakest spring force and that is a clue. I would PULL the mag down and PUSH up while cycling. (Snap caps or at the range!). If that causes other than last round fail or fixes it, then adjust the mag hold accordingly.

Edited by johnbu

9 hours ago, SoCalShooter69 said:

So basically this has/had absolutely nothing to do with the bolo, but we're blaming the bolo in post 1.

Switch the mag release back, my man!

No, I was questioning whether the BOLO was the cause. 

1 hour ago, MikieM said:

No, I was questioning whether the BOLO was the cause. 

On a feeding problem, that the shooter switched the mag release?!!! 

How is that even remotely related to the trigger system, let alone the bolo?

I got a good laugh out of this thread. Enos forum will blame the bolo for anything. Lol 

6 minutes ago, SoCalShooter69 said:

On a feeding problem, that the shooter switched the mag release?!!! 

How is that even remotely related to the trigger system, let alone the bolo?

I got a good laugh out of this thread. Enos forum will blame the bolo for anything. Lol 

If you can't be anymore helpful than you are, why are you even commenting?

38 minutes ago, MikieM said:

Some poor chap(s) will read this thread, and think the bolo will cause feed(ing) issues, because you fail to even think that switching the mag release is the cause of the problem. We're all here to help, but sometimes people need to read their OP out loud to see if it makes sense, before hitting the submit button.

1 hour ago, SoCalShooter69 said:

Some poor chap(s) will read this thread, and think the bolo will cause feed(ing) issues, because you fail to even think that switching the mag release is the cause of the problem. We're all here to help, but sometimes people need to read their OP out loud to see if it makes sense, before hitting the submit button.

How about taking some of your own advice. No where did I say he had feeding problems, did I? He has trigger reset problems. 

Don't point out my failures when, obviously, you have several of your own. Bad manners being chief among them.

Edited by MikieM

1 hour ago, MikieM said:

How about taking some of your own advice. No where did I say he had feeding problems, did I? He has trigger reset problems. 

Don't point out my failures when, obviously, you have several of your own. Bad manners being chief among them.

Sorry, I had johns post in my head, when replying.

Here's how the OP should have gone:

I have a buddy that is having reset issues (list symptoms). He is left handed and switched the mag release. He switched the mag release back to how it's supposed to be intalled, originally, and the problem goes away. Can the mag release be switched or modified?

11 minutes ago, SoCalShooter69 said:

Sorry, I had johns post in my head, when replying.

Here's how the OP should have gone:

I have a buddy that is having reset issues (list symptoms). He is left handed and switched the mag release. He switched the mag release back to how it's supposed to be intalled, originally, and the problem goes away. Can the mag release be switched or modified?

No, that is not how the post should have gone. The post should have gone the way I said it should have. No you, or anyone else. Butt out!

12 minutes ago, SouperMan said:

I wonder if the set screw for the trigger overtravel has worn down a bit that it's not allowing for a reset with the magazine pushing up on the trigger bar.

If I'm not mistaken the over-travel screw was removed.

Right now I'm leaning towards the notion that a magazine is bearing against the trigger stirrup.

Won't know for a while.

15 hours ago, MikieM said:

Becuase while he's knowledgeable and helpful much of the time, whenever someone criticizes his babies, ARy/SoCal goes into full on "momma bear" mode and only sees red. :);) 

Let us know if flipping the mag catch helps things. Then measure that sucker on both sides and see if it's holding the magazine up higher.

For the record... I'm a lefty with the Titan/Bolo/sexysear combination, and my gun didn't have any issues with a flipped mag catch.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

2 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Becuase while he's knowledgeable and helpful much of the time, whenever someone criticizes his babies, ARy/SoCal goes into full on "momma bear" mode and only sees red. :);) 

Let us know if flipping the mag catch helps things. Then measure that sucker on both sides and see if it's holding the magazine up higher.

For the record... I'm a lefty with the Titan/Bolo/sexysear combination, and my gun didn't have any issues with a flipped mag catch.

At this point the mag release is probably the culprit. We'll know more later.

I'm a lefty and have some mag problems with the mag catch flipped.  Mine wont reset in double action on a empty mag, does it on about 50 % of my mags.  Doesn't really matter so I just gave up on worrying about it.  Never had any issues with it not resetting in single action. I'd be willing to bet it's holding the mag up a little high?  

• 2 weeks later...

As it turns out (sounds like the name of a soap opera on TV) the mag release was the problem, after being switched from the left side to the right side. 

The release is (was) evidently holding the magazines off-center enough to where they impinged upon the trigger stirrup enough to cause a failure to reset.

Quality control at Tanfoglio is highly suspect.

Edited by MikieM

5 hours ago, MikieM said:

As it turns out (sounds like the name of a soap opera on TV) the mag release was the problem, after being switched from the left side to the right side. 

The release is (was) evidently holding the magazines off-center enough to where they impinged upon the trigger stirrup enough to cause a failure to reset.

Quality control at Tanfoglio is highly suspect.

Which dimension of which component was off to cause this?  Was the nub on the mag release not symmetrical?  Are you sure it's not the mag having the slots slightly different on each side?

4 minutes ago, Tanfastic said:

Which dimension of which component was off to cause this?  Was the nub on the mag release not symmetrical?  Are you sure it's not the mag having the slots slightly different on each side?

We thought of that (among other considerations), but all 6 mags checked out to be dimension-ally correct. 

The test was simple enough. With the old mag release reinstalled (as per a right-handed shooter) everything worked fine again. When switched back to a south-paw configuration the problem came back.

A new mag release from PD, installed for a left-handed shooter, has worked fine thus far.