Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 5" Schuemann barrel trouble

harald

Hi, I got a custom 1911 Caspian with a Schuemann .355 Ultimatch barrel, but are having problems with bullets all over the target.

I have another 6" 2011 with a .355 Bar-Sto and this shoots very nice groups with HAP 125gr and plated bullets, but the Schuemann barrel speds all over the target.

My target load is 3.6gr N320,  the velocity is the almost the same from these two barrels, but the groups are very different :(

I have just fired about 500 rounds in the Schuemann.

Do you have any tips to improve the accrucy in the Schuemann barrel?

Diffrent bullets or different power?

Edited by harald

The HAPs are good JHPs, so it is unlikely to be the bullets.  The first thing I would do is slug your bore to find out what it actually measures.  Then I would try other bullets.  The HAP 125 is .356".  Try a HAP 115 @ .355" and see what happens.  Also, what is the twist rate of your Scheumann?  They make 16", 24" variable twist, and 32" twist rate barrels.  If you have a 32", it will want lighter bullets.

1st thing I would do is call the builder and tell him what kind of groups you're getting and ask HIM WHY?

Properly fit 1911 will shoot a group with almost anything. Obviously they will shoot a tailored handload even better.

Feeding can be a whole other issue.

Good fortune with it

On 8/1/2017 at 11:10 AM, jcc7x7 said:

1st thing I would do is call the builder and tell him what kind of groups you're getting and ask HIM WHY?

Properly fit 1911 will shoot a group with almost anything. Obviously they will shoot a tailored handload even better.

Feeding can be a whole other issue.

Good fortune with it

+1

Unless the gun shoots much better groups with several other bullets/ loads, I'd suspect a misfit barrel and or bushing.