Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Good Brass For The 627 38 Super

Bubber

I just got a niew 627 38 super, Hearthco Moonclips, and planning on getting the brass to reload. Is Winchester good brass for the 38 super? I know it does not do real well in the 38 specials old moon clips. Thanx rdd

I've been using Winchester brass in my 686x6 .38 super on the recomendation of Tom at moonclips.com. They seem to work OK for me. I'm using HearthCo moon clips. I have some stainless and some blue. The blue ones seem to hold the rounds a little tighter but that might be because they are new.

Bill Nesbitt

Bubber,

I've had good results with Winchester+P brass. I did have some problems with ejection when using the nickle plated. I don't know if it was the plating, or the inconsistant fit in the moonclip. Problem went away with plain brass. Armscor brass worked well for me. I only went to Winchester because of problem orerding from Armscor web site.

Richard

Hey Roger

We've been using R-P nickel +P, and I tend to buy new brass every 2 years. If you get me your e-mail I'll send you the load data I have on the 38 super all minor loads, it's all billybullets and VihtaVuori powder, some titegroup, 115, 135 and 160gr bullets

John

I just got a niew 627 38 super, Hearthco Moonclips, and planning on getting the brass to reload.  Is Winchester good brass for the 38 super?  I know it does not do real well in the 38 specials old moon clips.  Thanx rdd

Just to throw something else into the mix Bubber, guy out here in the Northeast uses cut down 38 spcl/mag brass. Seems to stay straighter in the clips like short

colt brass, .001 less diameter drops in pretty slick.

The SAMMI specs for 38 spcl and 38 Super is .001 difference and you can see the

spcl case is a little more bulged than normal.

Kinda too bad the S&W PC didn't use the full size of the extractor groove like the

610/625's.

Anyway, you being the revolver Idol that you are you probably knew this info

already, heck .... you could short colt brass too.

Later

Anyway, you being the revolver Idol that you are you probably knew this info

already, heck .... you could short colt brass too.

Later

Dave in my case it is spelled I-D-L-E.

Yea Waltermitty it is a new one pokita, pokita, pokita.... B)B)

Dave in my case it is spelled I-D-L-E.

Yea Waltermitty it is a new one pokita, pokita, pokita.... B)B)

I like that :P

But wait ..... coming in in the top 5 for the IRC you can't be that I-D-L-E ! !

Heck, get that Std's score down and you'll be right up there :D

(this from a guy how does very poorly at 50 yrds)

Roger,

I only ever use Starline in mine, IRC included, I got some clips off Dave there as well as his are a bit tighter.

To give you a head start I run 3.4 grs Winchester Super Target ..... very clean burning behind a 145 coasted lead. Chrono'd at 126 in Morro Bay.

I have also tried a 135 and upped the powder to 3.6 grs .... I didn't chrono these but they felt about the same to shoot but did feel like they shot flatter to 50 yards.

Make sure you modify the ball detent lock up as the factory finish almost requires you to take steriods to open and close it. :D

Thanx Ryan, I will problably try that load. These are for coated or jacketed rounds correct? I will search my powder stash and check for some Winchester powder. I have tried some bullets and I think it likes the 135grn lead so far. My other one loves the 160grn lead but has a 1 in 10 twist this other one is a slower twist like yours and will problbly work better with your data. Again Thanx..rdd