Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Glock For Steel Shooting, 17 Or 34?

AustinMike

I'm considering picking up a Glock to have something economical to shoot for steel competitions (and maybe occasional IPSC) so I can get out there more often. I normally shoot .45 in a 1911, but it takes time to reload and the costs run up there even with reloading. I was thinking a 9mm should be good steel plinker since power factor isn't an issue and the ammo is so cheap (I wouldn't be reloading for 9mm.) I'm thinking of either the Glock 17 or 34. The 34 feels more balanced in my hand (empty anyway.) I'm not sure that the extra barrel length of the 34 offers any benefit in steel shooting (except maybe an Outer Limits stage?) The slide and mag releases aren't particularly important in steel to me either. Is the trigger that much better? Any other compelling reasons to go with a 34 over the 17?

Thanks...

The triggers of both guns can be tuned to your liking so no real advantage there.

I would say the longer sight radius would be a key factor in buying the 34 along with the other factory "extras" like adjustable sights (providing you don't want to change sights to begin with) the3.5 pound trigger and the extended mag release and slide release. These are all really "cool" things to have if you choose to shoot USPSA Production Division in the future.

I shot SC with my G34 today for the first time. I normally shoot a single stack STI .40 in SC. I was pleasantly surprised how well I could run the G34. A Heinie rear sight with a .90 Dawson front was easy to follow on the plates. Trigger is important, but a one pound is not essential. Mine is 2.75, and uses all stock parts except the striker spring. You will not be disappointed with either choice, so go with what feels the best.

I've read where some people say that the longer barrels have more muzzle flip, which I'm not understanding. I'd expect the opposite with the extra weight. But then again, Glock has carved a good chunk out of the slide. What do ya'll think about recoil. Any real difference?

The G34 will LOOK like it's flipping more because it's longer.

Because it's longer, you'll get more accurate shots for the same quality of sight picture. The slide may in fact be cycling a little bit slower vs a G17. Use something less than the stock recoil spring & it will go faster.

In my experience, a longer sight radius takes almost NO more time to line up and shoot vs short radius, but will give you better hits. Either gun still needs trigger work.

It depends on the shooter. For some the 34 will work just as well or better. For me the 17 cycles faster, and returns to target perfectly. This is a good thing in a steel gun. The other consideration would be the type of holster you're thinking about using. If you're going to use something like Kydex, the 17 will clear a bit quicker. If you're going to use an open front race holster then this wouldn't matter.

One thing I started thinking about...the sight radius on the Glock 17 should be almost equal to my 5" 1911 and 5" 625 revolver (I think.) That might be a good thing for going back and forth between guns. The longer radius on the 34 would allow a little more slop in the sighting, that would hurt on a shorter gun. Or is that just splitting hairs at steel distances?

I'd be using just a regular Kydex holster, at least for the forseeable future.

Probably doesn't matter unless you shoot one significantly better than the other.. the hardest target in the Steel Challenge is either a 10" circle at 18 yards, or a 12" circle at 20 yards, and no extra points for hitting it closer to the center.

I'm using a 17 in USPSA productioon and for Steel. My dad is using a 34 for both. I've shot them both a lot. I cannot see a bit of difference. The 34 has a lighter trigger but I think the trigger on the 17 resets faster. I seem to shoot faster Bill drills with the 17, but I'm not good enough to tell any difference in an actual match. I shoot either one a lot better than my 1911.

Well, I decided to try a Glock 17. Found a dealer with a stock of factory rebuilds and they come with 3 new 17rd. mags. These are the 2nd generation frames, which I like better (no finger grooves for me.) They have the full lifetime factory warranty. Not a bad price at $365 and I've got one on the way. Here's the link, in case anybody else is interested. Check out the Glock 17 rebuilds. He's got Glock 22 as well.

Summit Gun Broker