Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Weight Spring For A Xd Tactical In .40?

sasquatch981

I thought that a lighter striker spring would let you run a lighter recoil spring, but I haven't found anyone selling a replacement.

I have taken it apart, but it was put back togerther right, and it did have to go back to Rich for something eles, and I'm sure he put it back together right.

I am working on testing some recoil spring weights, compared to the amount of spring tention to takes to keep the slide closed with the striker set.

R/T sending it Springfield will be my last option, maybe this winter sometime (PS I go by 40SWXDSHOOTER on the XD fourm)

I have an XD-9 Tactical that I bought used. I purchased it because Rich at Canyon Creek had already worked his magic on it and added a set of Dawson adjustable sights as well as his mag release button and trigger job.

When I got it, I replaced the recoil spring. I had no idea what to use so tried a Wolff 16.5# progressive spring. I had not shot the pistol before so I really didn't have an experience base to help with spring selection. The previous owner had never replaced the spring so he was no help.

Long story short, the gun was very unreliable. It seemed like about half the time that I replaced mags, the striker would move release and be caught by the safety. This then required racking of the slide to fire the next shot. This is not one of the preferred methods for USPSA competion. <_< Rich at CC finally solved my problem with his advice per the post above to increase the spring power.

I put in a new 20# Wolff conventional spring and it worked perfectly. Not one problem in about a dozen practice sessions and two matches. After reading the earlier posts in this thread, I decided to try a little experiment. I put in a Wolff 18# conventional spring and went to the range today. After six mag changes, I had the same problem occur on two of them. So...it is back to the 20# spring for me. Oh yeah, and listen to Rich :D

Edited by XD Niner

XD Niner

That sounds like the same problem I was having, but what is was the slide coming out of battery, and when you pull the trigger the slide goes forward. I finely just checked to see how much it took to hold the striker back, and made sure that the reciol spring I was using was 4-5 lbs. more. I shot a six stage match on Saturday with no problems (with the gun anyway), and won the Production divison.

Good Luck.

• 3 months later...

Like, I posted earlier listen to Rich.

My experience has been the same, and who has done more XD's than Rich?

I doubt I'm even close to his volume, and I'm doing them every day.

It amazes me that at least half the people who advocate the lighter springs (because they use them in their 1911's) have no idea how the 1911 works or how the XD is different, since "you can use the same spring."

Like, I posted earlier listen to Rich.

My experience has been the same, and who has done more XD's than Rich?

I doubt I'm even close to his volume, and I'm doing them every day.

It amazes me that at least half the people who advocate the lighter springs (because they use them in their 1911's) have no idea how the 1911 works or how the XD is different, since "you can use the same spring."

I have to use a 16# spring in my .40 tac to cycle RELIABLY. For my major loads I use a 22# spring. My service cycles fine with the 18# spring and minor.

No, you don't just add more powder ;)

Then I can't use the bunny farts and what fun would that be :-)

I am going to try a 180 bear creek over 4.0 TG and switch the 180 to a 140 with the same charge and see what that does.

Edited by steel1212