Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Corrective lens shooting glasses

mjkten

I tried bifocals. Both Top and bottom. Went to an optom eye doctor and had glasses made to the correct focal length for the sights. Never was happy with the results.

A friend showed me a pair of  Elvex RX-550C Full Lens safety glasses. These have a round, 50mm reading lens and are z87 rated. They only come in clear. I went with a 1.5, 2.0 was too much. So far so good. I can see the sights clearly and the targets are pretty sharp as well. They really tightened my 25yd groups! They are only about 8 bucks. No real risk to try them out.

I'll wear normal shades until I'm on deck then change to the Elvex. Takes a minute or so for my eyes to adjust to the change in perception. Kind of like walking down stairs with bifocals. Sketchy until your eyes adjust. Still getting used to swapping glasses before my run and I'll forget and wear my shades. No bueno!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
On 7/24/2017 at 2:57 PM, oddjob said:

My dominant eye is set for the front sight and the weak eye is set up for distance.  This came from a cowboy shooter/optometrist.  Works great for me.

This is the set up I have as well. They work great until you face long tight shots. At my last match, there was a stage with 6 mini-poppers at 40 yards. At that distance, the poppers are a white blurr. I got them all but my time was terrible. I'm giving Carry Optics a try next year. Then I'll shoot with glasses with no correction, since my distance vision isn't too bad. 

On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 6:35 PM, hobbit99 said:

Hey Uni & H-P J..... Quick question for you guys...

The single prescription is perfect for our use I think, rather than fool around with bi-focal lenses. So, here's the question.... Can you get a prescription like that in a GOOD quality ANSI/MilSpec pair of shooting glasses..?? You know, with wrap-around lenses..??  My current eye guy made up a pair for me, but I had to order side wings to cover the edges and couldn't get the lens color I wanted either.  I haven't seen anything like that around here..... Hence the question.

Yes you can. High impact polycarbonate lenses are available from most optical shops. I have a set with Active Transition in a wrap around Costa Del Mar frame. They are a single vision prescription with the focus distance set to 25-inches. The sights are sharp, the targets not so much. But I can read a license plate at 13 yards with them.  IDPA MA in SSP/BUG, and EX in ALL other divisions. They work for me. I had the frames, and the proper prescription, and they ran me about $150.

There is an excellent article on the NRA ssusa.org website (Shooting Sports USA) entitled "RX For Aging Eyes" it is filed under author Chris Christian archives. It was done with an eye doctor and is very informative.