Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow 2 safety on Tactical Sport

muncie21

On ‎11‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 2:38 PM, eerw said:

Thats why it's made wide . So you can trim as you like. Easy stuff. Better leverage to use, as pivot point is in wrong location on CZs

I've had lots of CZC wide safeties and have just switched to the S2 wide version.

2 reasons: main one being I'd have to cut the CZC one back to S2 width in order to run a right safety and still fit the IPSC box. And I need a right safety to stop myself bumping the safety on when shooting weak hand.

2nd reason is I don't like the reduced sear engagement service on the CZC version. Makes getting a positive lockup a pain. Have had issues with push-off previously. Could just be me but others have looked at it and come to the same conclusion.  Was tempted to try a CGW sear but they are hard to get in Aus.

If you made one with the same "ledge" as stock I'd change back.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

coctomus, the Shadow 2 comes with two sets of safeties (here in Canada at least).  Both safeties are a very slim "flush" safety on the right hand side.  You can get one (either the flush left side or shelf left side, though on a single action gun like the TS you definitely want the shelf left side) and install it in a TS.

2nd reason is I don't like the reduced sear engagement service on the CZC version. Makes getting a positive lockup a pain. Have had issues with push-off previously. Could just be me but others have looked at it and come to the same conclusion. 

Matt,

Pardon my inexperience; I am a new shooter, but I don't quite understand what you are saying in your second reason.

Are you saying the wide CZC safety is hard to engage and then also to disengage?

Matt,

Pardon my inexperience; I am a new shooter, but I don't quite understand what you are saying in your second reason.

Are you saying the wide CZC safety is hard to engage and then also to disengage?

No, it's easy to operate but I find them hard to fit so that they lock the sear solidly. I've had a couple that only just blocked the sear. The safety worked, but you could see the hammer move a tiny bit. And if you pressed the trigger multiple times it would "push" the safety off and drop the hammer.

My backyard solution was to reduce the size of the locating knob so that the safety could rotate more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My backyard solution was to reduce the size of the locating knob so that the safety could rotate more.

The cam on the shaft of the safety has to rotate under the sear arm, right? So you filed the cam a little bit until it fit?

Is that what you found hard to do?

And after that, did it work to your liking?

Me, I'm not looking forward to taking the sear cage out; it intimidates me, lol.

3 hours ago, robert.a.brewer. said:

The cam on the shaft of the safety has to rotate under the sear arm, right? So you filed the cam a little bit until it fit?

Is that what you found hard to do?

And after that, did it work to your liking?

Me, I'm not looking forward to taking the sear cage out; it intimidates me, lol.

That's the problem but I found that it wouldn't rotate enough because the locator on the upright part stops in the circular cutout on the outside of the frame.  You can see it in the picture above.  I filed that a bit so that it would rotate up.

coctomus, the Shadow 2 comes with two sets of safeties (here in Canada at least).  Both safeties are a very slim "flush" safety on the right hand side.  You can get one (either the flush left side or shelf left side, though on a single action gun like the TS you definitely want the shelf left side) and install it in a TS.
Thank you!
Yeah, am going to get the large shelf on the left hand side, if the safety touches my hand on the right side at all, I will grind it off.

Anyone have experience grinding their CZ TS magazine down?

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, Coctomus said:

Thank you!
Yeah, am going to get the large shelf on the left hand side, if the safety touches my hand on the right side at all, I will grind it off.

Anyone have experience grinding their CZ TS magazine down?

I ground my mag release button down on my regular TS because it was really cutting into my left palm, though I've been OK with it on my TSO.

I ground my mag release button down on my regular TS because it was really cutting into my left palm, though I've been OK with it on my TSO.
Do you use a triangular file to get some type of checkering on the mag release after you ground it down?

• 2 weeks later...
No, it's just ugly bare metal from a belt sander!  I'm not fancy and definitely not a gunsmith.
What is usually done to get back the black finish for controls that are filed or sanded to bare metal?

Do you guys paint them with an enamel or re-blue parts? I don't know anything about re-blueing.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 5:39 PM, muncie21 said:

If you are on the fence about getting a wider 'left side' safety for your Tactical Sport, I'd recommend trying the one from the Shadow 2.  It's not as wide as the CZC one, however it's about half the price and for me provides a marked improvement in grip

IMG_6233.JPG.2c380c9c659f82722b62e0b4d22750ad.JPGIMG_6234.JPG

So Muncie, you"re sure that Shadow 2 extended safety will fit the TS Orange? I guess that a TSO in your picture.

Went to the CZ USA site and it's looks nice. $50 with a flat right side which I like. I don't like ambi safetys anyway.

1 hour ago, Pathfinder1 said:

So Muncie, you"re sure that Shadow 2 extended safety will fit the TS Orange? I guess that a TSO in your picture.

Went to the CZ USA site and it's looks nice. $50 with a flat right side which I like. I don't like ambi safetys anyway.

I can say with 150% confidence that 'my' Shadow 2 safety fit into 'my' TS Orange, with no fitting required.  Not sure if my experience could be expanded to all Shadow 2 safeties in general...

Regarding Cajun S2 safeties- they sell several different varieties, not sure if these are Cajun parts or CZ parts, so I can't comment if they will fit or not.

Edited by muncie21

2 hours ago, muncie21 said:

I can say with 150% confidence that 'my' Shadow 2 safety fit into 'my' TS Orange, with no fitting required.  Not sure if my experience could be expanded to all Shadow 2 safeties in general...

Regarding Cajun S2 safeties- they sell several different varieties, not sure if these are Cajun parts or CZ parts, so I can't comment if they will fit or not.

Cajun shipped me a standard TS safety so I would say it is not an S2 safety.

http://shop.cz-usa.com/ProductDetail/465423250012_Extended-Safety-Set-Shadow-2  Thanks all, need more help though. I don't want to appear to be doing too much hand wringing over this, but could someone please help me by looking at the Extended Safety  purchase I'm about to make from CZ-USA at http://shop.cz-usa.com/ProductDetail/465423250012_Extended-Safety-Set-Shadow-2,  take a look, and give me the "final" take...hopefully it will work. I can't see why not, being so many said their Shadow 2 safeties fit the TSO. Just take a look and let me know? I ask this because I wonder why the guy that answered the phone at CZUSA when I called, said he didn't think it would work, but after talking to all you guys the contrary appears to be true. I have only had this CZ TSO (my 1st CZ) for about 2 months so I'm not very experienced with them. Old 1911 guy.  Thanks for your feed back guys.

2 hours ago, Pathfinder1 said:

http://shop.cz-usa.com/ProductDetail/465423250012_Extended-Safety-Set-Shadow-2  Thanks all, need more help though. I don't want to appear to be doing too much hand wringing over this, but could someone please help me by looking at the Extended Safety  purchase I'm about to make from CZ-USA at http://shop.cz-usa.com/ProductDetail/465423250012_Extended-Safety-Set-Shadow-2,  take a look, and give me the "final" take...hopefully it will work. I can't see why not, being so many said their Shadow 2 safeties fit the TSO. Just take a look and let me know? I ask this because I wonder why the guy that answered the phone at CZUSA when I called, said he didn't think it would work, but after talking to all you guys the contrary appears to be true. I have only had this CZ TSO (my 1st CZ) for about 2 months so I'm not very experienced with them. Old 1911 guy.  Thanks for your feed back guys.

That's the one brother!

Now, get looking at the videos for disassembly and  replacement of the safety.  If by chance you run into troubles 'fitting' the safety, there's plenty of folks here that can help you with that. 

Hell if all goes south completely, I could be interested in purchasing your TSO :)

Having seen both in hand recently, I am not sure what the fuss is with the new Orange. Escpecially with the prices people are offloading the original tuned up TS for. Has anyone noticed their example to be that much of an improvement? Also, would this wider safety fit the orIginal TS?

Lee