Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Paid Maternity Leave

We're thinking about starting a family.

Does your company offer Paid Maternity Leave?

If so... What are your benefits?

I've heard Australia has the best offereings.

Luckily, my wife is the Human Resources Manager so she can create a great benefit package, but we need some working company policy to base this on...

-Chet

Chet,

First of all, best wishes for you and Beth!

I don't know much about benefits/benefits packages (heck, I just work there) but my employer offers "EIB" benefits as well as "PTO" benefits. You accrue EIB and PTO at a percentage of your income (EIB at a slower rate than PTO). The longer you work for the company, the higher the accrual percentage. You can use your PTO for anything (supplement your hours as long as it's not overtime, vacation time, "paid time off") If you have to take a more extended period off of work (LOA, i.e. maternity leave) you use your PTO bank then you go to your EIB bank. Make sense???

Hope that helps!

We get 1 week with Sprint! (dad) Good luck, having a child is awesome! Only thing they start getting expensive when they ask for the first open gun!!!!! LOL!!! She did bring home more prizes than me this weekend.

I was with AT&T when we had Shea and we used both our insurance to pay for everything she only cost us 500.00 bucks. Oh and AT&T paid for 2 weeks for the DAD!!!

I can pull our policy and send it to you this week! It's not the best but it works!

Wow. Great information, thank's y'all.

Mark: Luckily we have two 9x21 open guns (and a couple .22's) sitting around waiting on the future Polo's. ;)

Sharyn: What does "EIB" stand for. "PTO" I understood. :P

Thanks again,

-Chet

Chet,

My current employer doesn't offer PTO but when my wife worked for one of the local school districts, she got 4 weeks for normal birth and 6 weeks for a c-section. We had the best benifits you could imagine from the school district. PPO insurance w/ $5 co-pay and IIRC, the birth of our first child, a c-section, did not cost us anything!

Your wife might ask one of teh local school districts for a copy of their benifits package for a guide.

Good luck

At my old company I paid 80% salary for 3 months maternity leave.

Of the 7 women who used this, all decided to take my money and "retire" after the 3 months was over.

At my new company I offer nothing for maternity leave beyond adhering to the FMLA :mellow:

My company is a larger company (GM), and has great benefits, but does not offer any Paid Maternity/Paternity leave, only the FMLA, or just plain ole unpaid time off...... I'm on two weeks vacation right now for the birth of my son, it was either that or unpaid leave.... sure can't afford that! :blink:

Chet,

ummm... Extended Illness Bank, I think (?) I can bring my benefits paperwork to Austin this weekend and you can look over them if you want. I work for Texas Children's Hospital and the benefits are really good (so I'm told :P )

:D

I just got back from paternity leave, I was paid 70% for 6 weeks and supplemented my time to get 100%. I took an additional 2 weeks on top of that. If both employees work for the same employer they can get 12 weeks total between them but not at the same time.

Per Family Medical Leave Act passed by Clinton you can have 12weeks of leave regardless of your employers policies as long as the employer falls within the guidelines, more than 50 employees etc.... and you as a employee meet all the criteria. If your employer does not offer paid leave for childbirth you and still get 12 weeks and its up to you whether you use your accumulated vacation, sick or personal leave or take unpaid leave. It also must be used at the same time. You can't take 2 weeks off then a month later take another 2 weeks etc.

Basically if you have vacation time, sick personal or whatever you can take up to 12 weeks and get paid from your leave balances regardless of what your employers says and there can be no discipline given. I just had my second child and its quite a bit to have two young children and a exhausted and sore wife to deal with. I'm a firm believer the husbands needs to be home during this period.

Theres alot of employers violating this Federal Law and will tell employees they can't have time off for paternity leave. They do not have to give paid leave but if you want to use your own time they can't say no.

Flyin40

I was surprised to learn that my employer gives a mother-to-be a generous three months of maternity leave with full pay. Fathers-to-be get three days paid leave. In all other respects they, my employers, are so tight that they squeak when they walk.

I was surprised to learn that my employer gives a mother-to-be a generous three months of maternity leave with full pay.

Wow. That's awesome. Is it a big company?

(Feel free to PM me if you don't want to answer publicly).

-Chet

I work for a company based in a European country. About 2000 people worldwide. Fairly small by multi-national standards. Since we are in the health care industry perhaps this has bearing on the decision.