Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Uspsa Classification System

Hello my BE'rs,

How is everyone doing?

Sorry to bring this up but I was just surfing the net and went through a couple of the last Area matches results. I found it wierd that mostly the only one shooting GM scores is the guy who actually won his division. For instance...

Area 6-

Production- Dave 100% (GM)

David O.- 85% (GM)

Angus- 84% (GM

Open- Max M.- 100% (GM)

Chris T.- 88% (GM)

JL Hardy- 86% (GM)

Revolver- Jerry M.- 100% (GM)

Cliff W.- 84% (A, and shot within his class!)

Sam Keen- 79% (A, and shot within his class!)

Area 4- was basically the same way. I think only one Open guy actually shot GM score besides the match winner. Production was very close because Dave shot Area 7!!! And Todd Jarret was the overall winner in Limited with no one else shooting GM scores.

I am not only dissing the PAPER GM's but everyone else that isn't shooting withing their class. It's no offense, just an observation I made. I hope you guys take it the right way.

My question is...

Do you think our classification system is screwed up? Should we have a Pro class, which would be higher then GM obviously. Or should we only get classified from Area match scores, since the Dave's and Todd'd are there?

<Deleted>

Your bud,

Big Boo

Edited by EricW

You are looking at match percentages. Compare the High Hit Factors and you will see something else...usually.

Classification is based on HHF, not match percentage.

Is classification screwed up? It has it's problems but for the most part it works pretty darn well.

Hope that helps.

the PAPER GM's

If you can get GM status on paper, you are still a hell of a shooter.

I'm sitting at 83% in Limited, but on any given Sunday I can have my butt handed to me by B class shooters, or take a stage or two from M class shooters. I think it was Paul Newman in some movie (The Color of Money?) who said, "Somedays the balls roll funny for everyone."

Overall I think the classification system works pretty well.

I think John hit the nail on the head. Getting to "M" classs, or "GM" class is one thing. You just need to have hit that level of performance a few times on certain classifiers.

However, shooting at a true "M" or "GM" level on a consistant level is another thing all together. The other thing is when Mr. Murphy jumps into you shooting bag and makes the trip to the match with you. Gun, Ammo, or other problems can put ANY "GM" shooter out of the running.

The classification system is what it is. It does a decent job of grouping shooters by their best "stand and deliver" performances. As a rule, guys who have developed the Box A skills have probably also worked on their field course skills. Although, it's not uncommon to see shooters at the top of the pack on the speed shoots and standards only to see them flounder on field courses.

FWIW, I am less than one percentage point away from GM in a couple of divisions because on any given day I might burn a Box A classifier to the ground. So tell me, what should I do to prevent being dissed as a paper GM? Tank the classifiers or stop shooting?

Frankly, I think the classification system should be abolished and everyone should just shoot heads up from the top down. Sure would eliminate all the concern folks seem to have over other shooter's classifications. I know I have beaten folks at matches who don't feel I deserve the letter printed on my card. If I thump them heads up they would probably feel better. ;)

Boo:

Just curious. How have your finishes at major matches compared to your experiences with the classification system?

Shooting performance is just like performance in any other sport.

Should we knock the Seattle Mariners down to minor league status because they got blown out in a couple games?

Shooting in the 80% range of the winner just means you had a couple mikes....an off day.