Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tanfoglio Unica Parts - Prod Legal?

http://www.tanfoglio.it/shop/tanfoglio-unica/parti-unica/u004-sicura-ls-sicura-leva-scatto-senza-appoggio.html

I bought the flat single-sided safety from the Unica line, but I wonder if this is Production legal.   My understanding of the rule is that thumb safety can only be replaced with factory parts that are manufactured for the same model or another Production legal model.  

Does anyone know if Extrem models made in 2017 are using Unica parts?

Well since a different style safety doesn't modify the internal workings of the actual safety mechanism, it doesn't matter what it looks like or where it comes from, right?

(note: the rules don't say this, but the recent DNROI ruling seems to)

57 minutes ago, waktasz said:

Well since a different style safety doesn't modify the internal workings of the actual safety mechanism, it doesn't matter what it looks like or where it comes from, right?

(note: the rules don't say this, but the recent DNROI ruling seems to)

Theoretically I could ask for a ruling on the Unica parts too...

1 hour ago, haiedras said:

The xtreme models do not use the unica parts. Those parts are tanfoglio specific parts completely separate from the xtreme line.

I suppose if this is the case, then the Unica parts are not legal for IPSC Production division, which seems odd.  Are these made for just Limited/Open?

5 minutes ago, Kraj said:

https://www.ericgrauffelonlineshop.com/en/frame-parts/494-safety-flush-.html?search_query=safety&results=32

Eric has them in the section of oem parts. I emailed him when they first came out and he said they were offered from the factory and legal in production. Just like the Delta/Titan hammers and everything else they make

I understand these are factory parts, but the USPSA rules require Production external mods are not only factory parts but also from factory guns that are Production legal.  Since this is currently not used on any of the Tanfoglio factory guns, I am not sure Eric's words alone can make it legal.

Delta was on Extreme guns out of factory so they are OK.  Titan should be legal now in 2017 as Extreme guns out of factory are using Titan hammers starting 2017.   Strictly speaking, I don't think Titan hammer was Production legal prior to 2017.

21.6  Exchange of minor EXTERNAL components
Any other components which are externally visible may ONLY be replaced with OFM parts which are offered on the specific model of gun or another approved gun from the same manufacturer except as specifically clarified below. Examples of external components which may only be replaced with OFM parts include (but are not limited to): magazine releases, slide stops, thumb safeties and triggers.

If Tanfoglio can say they "offer Stock 2/Stock 3 with any Tanfoglio thumb safety of your choice", it would be much easier.

2 minutes ago, JusticeOfToren said:

If Tanfoglio can say they "offer Stock 2/Stock 3 with any Tanfoglio thumb safety of your choice", it would be much easier.

It was my understanding that they do and that's how things like the Titan hammer were production legal right when they came out.

I wonder what the burden of proving its offered from the factory is? Do I need an email from Eric? From Tanfoglio?

Im not trying to argue with you. He said it was offered from the factory and I believed him because I didn't have a reason not to. But now your making me nervous.

Update:

I did email Tanfoglio about these Unica parts.  They clarified that these parts "are offered for Stock 2, 3, Limited Pro, etc.", as the product page on their official website indicates.  Tanfoglio considers these USPSA and IPSC Production legal parts. 

The other thing they pointed out is that Tanfoglio indeed ships Stock 2/3 or Xtreme versions of those with Unica parts upon customer demands in Europe, but not in the USA probably due to firearm importing regulations/overheads. 

Unica-Safety.jpg

1 hour ago, JusticeOfToren said:

Update:

I did email Tanfoglio about these Unica parts.  They clarified that these parts "are offered for Stock 2, 3, Limited Pro, etc.", as the product page on their official website indicates.  Tanfoglio considers these USPSA and IPSC Production legal parts. 

The other thing they pointed out is that Tanfoglio indeed ships Stock 2/3 or Xtreme versions of those with Unica parts upon customer demands in Europe, but not in the USA probably due to firearm importing regulations/overheads. 

Unica-Safety.jpg

EAA a third party vendor. They buy, then resell. It just happens that Tanfo deals only with them for USA import and distribution. EAA isn't going to order custom guns for anyone; they can barely handle customer service. Hopefully patriot defense wins the next contract for importation from Tanfo...

2 hours ago, SoCalShooter69 said:

EAA a third party vendor. They buy, then resell. It just happens that Tanfo deals only with them for USA import and distribution. EAA isn't going to order custom guns for anyone; they can barely handle customer service. Hopefully patriot defense wins the next contract for importation from Tanfo...

Is that speculation or confirmed? Hadn't heard they were trying to get an import contract, but if they did I'd buy another SIII from PD just to support them.

1 minute ago, CarlB86 said:

Is that speculation or confirmed? Hadn't heard they were trying to get an import contract, but if they did I'd buy another SIII from PD just to support them.

That's me just wishing on a star after the horrible customer service EAA provided me. On numerous occasions.