Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why no 14.7" 9mm barrels?

Hello: I think that is so little difference between a 14.5" and 16" barrel it is not worth it. Now 8.5"-10.5" as an SBR that maybe worth it. A light 16" barrel setup swings pretty quick but maybe a little long for tight ports and wall stages. Thanks, Eric

It would be nice if someone offered a 14.5"/14.7" that came with a brake or flash hider already pinned on. Since there's no gas block the barrel could come already pinned and ready to go. I thought about doing a 14.5" with pinned brake but didn't want to deal with hassle and extra cost of bringing it somewhere to get pinned. A 14.7" would definitely be more appealing since you could use a cheap A2 flash hider.

6 minutes ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: JP offer a pinned 14.5" barrel with their comp already on it. Thanks, Eric

Yes I did ask them about that before ordering. It was something like $80 for the brake plus $50 to pin. Plus I think their brake is over 2" so longer than needed for a 14.5" barrel. So wasn't worth it to me and I just got the 16". I meant it would be nice if someone offered a cheaper option with an A2 flash hider or similar and a lot of places charge less than that for the pinning.

In a non-nfa state 14.5" barrel with a pinned and welded flash hider or comp would be awesome 

I've got a 16" barrel on my pcc with a fake can that I'm using as a

thread protector 

if someone sold one that wasn't $300 I'd buy one 

Hello: So you guys feel that a barrel that is 1.5" shorter will be that much better? Why not use a 16" barrel with a flush threaded sleeve to protect the threads? I think my barrel with the comp is only 17 3/4" long. I guess I am not seeing what the benefit is with a 14.5" barrel length. Thanks, Eric

2 hours ago, Southpaw said:

It would be nice if someone offered a 14.5"/14.7" that came with a brake or flash hider already pinned on. Since there's no gas block the barrel could come already pinned and ready to go. I thought about doing a 14.5" with pinned brake but didn't want to deal with hassle and extra cost of bringing it somewhere to get pinned. A 14.7" would definitely be more appealing since you could use a cheap A2 flash hider.

BUT there might be issues with the brake and barrel nut.

17 minutes ago, JAustin316 said:

BUT there might be issues with the brake and barrel nut.

Maybe for some types of huge brakes, but an A2 and similar sized muzzle devices have plenty of clearance for barrel nut.

38 minutes ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: So you guys feel that a barrel that is 1.5" shorter will be that much better? Why not use a 16" barrel with a flush threaded sleeve to protect the threads? I think my barrel with the comp is only 17 3/4" long. I guess I am not seeing what the benefit is with a 14.5" barrel length. Thanks, Eric

I don't think it's a huge difference, that's why I wasn't going to pay significantly more for it, but it could help a little moving in and around ports. So if there were an option like I said that's only say $20-30 more to come pinned I'd choose that over a 16".

4 hours ago, Southpaw said:

Maybe for some types of huge brakes, but an A2 and similar sized muzzle devices have plenty of clearance for barrel nut.

In all honesty... who wants an A2 perm attached to the end of their stick? I just think there's such a wide choice and everyone wants their own different muzzle device that no one is going to "risK" using Brand A when there is a chance that people want Brand B.

2 hours ago, JAustin316 said:

In all honesty... who wants an A2 perm attached to the end of their stick?

Me ;).  Really I don't care too much what type of muzzle device is stuck to the end of my PCC barrel.  Currently I have an A2 on my 16" barrel because it was cheap and I'd say the majority of the PCCs I see at matches have the A2 as well.  If a 14.7" barrel were available when I was ordering my 16" I'd have gotten that instead and gotten an A2 pinned on which can be done for around $20.  But I wasn't going to pay JP over $100 more for the 14.5" plus their brake.

8 hours ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Moving around walls and shooting thru port would be easier with a shorter barrel, mine has a 16" barrel with a slip over fake can, if I could legally have a sbr with a 10" barrel I would build one

my other pcc is a Wilkerson carbine with a telescoping bolt, it has a 16" barrel but the overall length is a bit shorter than my ar9

and running thru a field course with it is joy compared the my ar9, too bad it's not very reliable 

My 16" PCC is so quiet that I've had to reshoot stages at every match because the timer doesn't pick it up. I've shot 8 matches with it at 3 different clubs. So, I'd be interested in some kind of side porting comp that would make it louder but I don't want to add another 2" to a 16" barrel. If I found a reasonably priced 14.5" I could pin a comp on I'd buy it.