Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tanfoglio stock 2 or 3 for limited major

je85

I cant find a limited 40 s&w in stock.

How would a stock 2 or 3 be for limited major?

I would have to put in a henning sao trigger but I would do that for the limited anyway.

Should I wait for a limited?

Is the limited that much better over the stock 2 or 3? price on those is $850-890

$110 for henning trigger

$100 for henning magwell

$1,060-1,100

I'm not worried about a 1/4" sight radius difference.

Does anybody know the actual weight difference between the three?

I like heavy guns. I'm currently shooting a rock island 2011. I need to make the switch because rock islands dont have long life spans and a sti has a smaller grip that I'm not a fan of not to mention they are lighter. Oh yeah and out of my budget 

Personally I think the bull barrel is a pretty big deal, more weight to your barrel, less to the reciprocating slide. The extra quarter inch is not just your sight radius, which I think is worthwhile, but also means you have a quarter inch more of barrel. This means if or when you reload you can probably get away with a tenth or so less powder which in my opinion does effect recoil feel. Also, unless you plan to buy an aftermarket magwell and new base pads all right away, don't forget that the limited comes with them, and the other two don't. The standard base pads for the Stock II and III will not fit with a magwell on the gun.

The SIII has the same sight radius as the Ltd., though it is a straight barrel instead of bull. The basepads on the Ltd. don't give much increase over stock, so they will be replaced with Henning or TF anyhow. If you intend on replacing the trigger with a Henning straight, that cost is a wash too. The SIII is blued not chromed. If you get the SIII, you are giving up the finish, bull barrel, & mag well, extra springs & sight. Depending how well you can buy the Ltd., & what those things are worth to you, it might be worth it to pay the extra $200 for the Ltd.. 

19 hours ago, je85 said:

Is the limited that much better over the stock 2 or 3? price on those is $850-890

$110 for henning trigger

$100 for henning magwell

$1,060-1,100

I'm not worried about a 1/4" sight radius difference.

Does anybody know the actual weight difference between the three?

I like heavy guns. I'm currently shooting a rock island 2011. I need to make the switch because rock islands dont have long life spans and a sti has a smaller grip that I'm not a fan of not to mention they are lighter. Oh yeah and out of my budget 

The Limited is the best gun for Limited (and $1,100 is a good price for a new one), but if you're determined to get a Production gun and turn it into a Limited gun, I think you'd be happier with the Stock III.  Between the Stock II and the Limited, it's not just a 1/4" of sight radius, but also a 1/4" of barrel, slide and dust cover which significantly effects the feel.

Don't forget the Limited has the same indestructible hard chrome finish as the Stock II, while the Stock III is blued which wears off and starts to rust with heavy use.

The performance differences, real or imagined, are going to be minimal between these guns, but the resale value will be much higher on a Limited set up for Limited.

If the initial cash outlay is such a big deal for you, why are you buying new?  There are great deals on used setups in the classifieds here.  In fact I think there's a Tactical Sports right in there right now I would recommend over any of these Tanfoglio choices in terms of value and performance.