Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stock 3 On The Way!

blsexton

Just posting a hello to the forum.  Getting back into Steel Matches after an absence of a few years....shot a highly modded CZ75b in USPSA/IDPA and thoroughly enjoyed that gun.  Moved out of NC and didn't shoot as much, but now find I'm shooting a lot of steel matches....kicked around the idea of a Shadow 2 (of course- who hasn't they're sexy), STI Eagle, CZ SP01, 1911 SS 9mm, and after speaking to Henning finally settled on the EAA Witness Stock 3.

Haven't had a chance to handle one and I know they are massive! And I prefer smaller grips....so the short trigger and thin grips will probably be a must.

But what other mods do you gents suggest, or if there's a link to the 'must do' DIY mods please post it up.  I do plan to shoot it stock at first and see how the EAA and I feel together.  Going to be in Cocked and Locked mode for pretty much all my start buzzers so hoping that helps with the grip.

Also have never shot a gun this heavy in competition- a bit apprehensive about how the gun will 'drive' in transitions on steel.  Rumor has it if the worst comes to worst the dust cover can always be chopped off to save some weight! Ha

Anyways, just a hello and intro! 

What John said. For an even shorter and crisper trigger you can go all out and outfit the gun with a Titan hammer and bolo to delete the pretravel and let you run an even lighter hammer spring...

But unless you are absolutely obsessed with the lightest possible trigger, it isn't needed to get the gun down to a light smooth pull.

Places to look for parts:

henningshop.com

patriotdefense.com

benstoegerproshop.com 

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Welcome and congrats on the new gun.  I was resently kicking around those same ideas and went with a S2.

I first went with the above-mentioned polish and springs only and the trigger was great. That said I have since added the 1pc sear and plan to order a Titan/Bolo after trying one with those mods.

I tried a few grips and found the SSI scales the best of both worlds.  Wide enough for a large surface area to grip onto and thin on top for a short trigger/mag release reach.  I also found the stock ones work well after some sanding and grip tape.

I'm glad it's useful.

I'm getting really close to doing a "how to Tanfo for Production" tutorial video though. A lot of the Bible info is great if you're not interested in spending the $$$ on Patriot Defense parts, but I'd like to have some of that stuff in there too. 

In other words, it's somewhat outdated since the largest aftermarket parts supplier for springs and action parts in the Production class guns? Well, PD wasn't making anything for Tanfoglio guns when I put that list together.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

On 3/28/2017 at 11:19 PM, MemphisMechanic said:

I'm glad it's useful.

I know it is outdated but I still think it is a good thread because it covers some other options especially for a budget build and it does cover some of the other parts out there.

I am sure your next guide will be just as good (so hurry up and finish it already)

New Stock 3 arrived and finally hit my hands. Had a couple hours to play with it, what an amazing feel.

Wish the stainless would have been available, Blade Tech DOH is already scraping up the beautiful blued finish. I can see how people want more than one of these guns- they are beautiful.  Makes my Glock look like cheap tupperware.

I really thought it would feel much heavier but in practicing a draw/presentation it feels quite stable.

Question:

The SA trigger OEM is just at 4.5lbs, and I don't need much of a lighter pull- BUT it is all creep, there's no wall.  

I've ordered a baseline spring kit to install, will these items give me a 'Wall' for the trigger pull, or is there something else needed.  Don't need less pull weight, just need a crisp-ness to the finish of the trigger pull.

Here's what I'm dropping in:

From Patriot:

EGD Medium hammer spring

Trigger spring

Sear spring

firing pin return spring

Edited by blsexton

Polish it. Follow the video guide.  that will crisp it up and smooth it out (dramatically).

Adding the bolo disconnector WILL give a sharp wall with near zero reset. But will need fitting, unless you also buy the TITAN hammer. The bolo is 99+% drop in when used with the Titan hammer.  but.... the titan will require fitting a one piece sear to make the safety function. And the one piece sear needs the extended firing pin block to allow the block to work!

I'd encourage you to spend the money on a single piece sear too, if you're after a crisper break.

Doesn't make sense to save $25-35 and leave a small spring between the two halves of the sear, if you're after a crisp trigger.

I can tell you that polishing everything up inside really helps these guns. The trigger ends up as smooth as a 1911. A ball-bearing feeling no Glock will ever match.