Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 19 Spring Problems

DrKyle1

Ok, I put a 13lb ISMI spring on my G19 - clipped 4 coils off as suggested by Matt at CGR. When I was shooting WWB 115gr factory ammo I got several failures to eject and the case got caught when the slide was coming back, no stove pipes. It was at a match so before the next stage I switched it out for a wolf 15lb round wire spring. I don't understand what was happening with the 13lb spring. Was it too light? Too heavy? I thought it was too light and the slide was cycling too fast so I put on the heavier one but from what I have read on here it would seem it was too heavy but problem was fixed when I put the 15lb on. - confused -

Just two preliminary question: which is your PF? Which is bullet weight?

In my experience Glocks work well with stock spring, I've ever used it and I've never had these problems both with weak reloads or strong ones.

Now I reload with 125 grs lead bullet and N340 (pls note that in Italy I have to use 9x21).

Have you tried to use a shock buffer? I use it on a G17 with stock sping and, in my opinion it helps, just a little, but it helps, I feel the gun more controllable.

Let me know if you need any further help.

Massimo.

13lb sounds really light on a Glock19

I think that Matt's guns are all quite a bit bigger than that (17s or 34s)

I can run my production load (130pf 147g) in my G19 with the stock spring 19lb

Just because Matt runs one thing in a Glock with his load doesn't mean that it will work for you when all of the other variables have changed.

Start at that 15lb and maybe work up from there.

I am shooting winchester white box 115gr - not sure of power factor. With the stock spring my girlfriend has a hard time managing recoil (yes it is her gun and I am a lucky guy!) That is the reason I tried to change her spring weight. On CGR's site it talks about "fitting" the spring for the 19 by using a 13lb and clipping off coils. I was just wondering if I cut too much or not enough. All of the guys at the match are saying I am trying to keep her from beating me by changing things on her gun! LOL

I suggest you stay with the stock Glock 19 springs. There were cases of cracked slides when I was still in the Philippines (the front area, in between where the hole for the barrel and the spring guide are). It usually happens when Glock 19 owners switch from the stock guide rods (which somehow flex) to steel, tungsten, etc. Early symptoms before the slide cracks are failure to eject and failure to feed.

Even though I am newbie, I did exactly same thing (13lb -4) and didn't work. Spring get too weak and pressed short (compare with stock side by side) and slide "moves" when you pull the triger even before it breaks. Didn'd passed the test of pulling trigger while gun pointed up.

I gave up on G19 eventually.

I would go with stock, it is the most reliable. The answer to recoil is proper technique and practice, practice, practice. 9mm ammo is cheap! If you must play with the recoil spring weight, then a 13 lbs spring is too light for a G19, but is appropriate for G17/G34. 15 lbs should be about right for a G19. The stock spring for the G19/G23 is 2 lbs heavier than the stock spring for the G17/G22. I wouldn't clip any coils unless there is evidence the spring is binding. Be aware you may also have to go with a lighter (reduced power) striker spring in order to prevent the slide from going out of battery with a light recoil spring. Just go stock.

I also think that the 13 lb may be too light for the G19. Remember that the factory for a g17 is 17lb and a g19 is 19lb. I thought that CGR reccommended a 15 lb for the g19. If the gun is for carry, I wouldn't use the lighter striker spring.

• 4 weeks later...

In my experience 14-15 lbs for the g19 is the absolute lowest for consistent reliability..you also have to change your mag springs more frequently (better if go to +10s) to ensure bullet feed from mag is positive and fast to match the increase slide velocity..

I was very surprised by Matt using a cut down 13 lb. spring in a g19 and it working reliably..maybe other things have been done to the gun that was n't mentioned.