Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Remington Thunderbolt .22LR leading barrel

Moderators - I'm not sure where this thread fits, so please feel free to move it.

WARNING - Remington Thunderbolt .22lr

I recently shot 200 rounds of this ammo out of my brand new Advantage Arms ("AA") .22 lr conversion for my Glock 22. At first it shot dead on.

After 200 rounds, it was all over the place. I called AA and told them what happened. They said that they've had EXTREME leading with recent Rem Thunderbolts - as quickly as 50 rounds - to the point where they can't get a bore brush down the bore.

I looked in my barrel and saw the worst leading I've ever seen. When I tried to put a patch of Hoppes down it, it got stuck in the barrel and I had to hammer it out. I can't even get a cleaning rod down the gun.

I taped up the muzzle end of the barrel and rigged it so it stood on end. I then poured Hoppes down the barrel and I will let it soak for 24 hours or so. I hope that will loosen up the lead.

Two questions and one statement:

1. Don't shoot Rem Thunderbolts!

2. What can I do to get the lead out since I can't get a rod down the bore?

3. If I can't get the lead out, should I contact Remington and ask them to make it right?

Thx.

Whoa.

When I first read this, I freaked out a bit. I bought two bricks of this stuff about a month agoon a $10 a brick deal, and so far I've shot nearly a brick's worth out of my .22/45. (as a note, i've had a FTF in almost every box. Woo-hoo Remington!) I had a brick of W-W T22 down before that and haven't cleaned it since. So i figure I'm not going to be able to drop a rod down the bbl., right?

Wrong.

I ran a rod through and it came out just fine. Then i put a light in the breech and checked the barrel- smooth as a baby's a$$. I'm by no means advocating this stuff- Rem. rimfire's always been rather inconsistent, I've thought, and doesn't shoot as well as W-W or Eley- but it didn't lead up my barrel. If nothing else this proves how inconsistent Rem. factory loads can be. Try it in another .22 and see what happens.

Whoa.

When I first read this, I freaked out a bit.  I bought two bricks of this stuff about a month agoon a $10 a brick deal, and so far I've shot nearly a brick's worth out of my .22/45.  (as a note, i've had a FTF in  almost every box.  Woo-hoo Remington!) I had a brick of W-W T22 down before that and haven't cleaned it since.  So i figure I'm not going to be able to drop a rod down the bbl., right?

Wrong.

I ran a rod through and it came out just fine.  Then i put a light in the breech and checked the barrel- smooth as a baby's a$$.  I'm by no means advocating this stuff- Rem. rimfire's always been rather inconsistent, I've thought, and doesn't shoot as well as W-W or Eley-  but it didn't lead up my barrel.  If nothing else this proves how inconsistent Rem. factory loads can be.  Try it in another .22 and see what happens.

Yep - I think Rem just had a bad run, but I'm not the only one having this issue. It sounds like your lot is fine.

I WON'T be shooting mine out of any other .22 though :(

Pass your eyes around rimfirecentral.com. You'll find the Rem Thunderbolts have a bad reputation generally. Chrono results reveal a large SD for .22 ammo.

If you're not itching for the last .05" smaller group, consider Federal Champion (formerally Lightning) part number 510, or Winchester Dynapoints. Dynapoints are only available at full stocking Winchester dealers and Wal-Mart.

The thing to remember about .22 firearms is that each one is unique. You have to spend the time to try several different makes and models of ammunition to find what your gun likes.

Follow up:

After soaking the barrel in a small lake of Hoppe's for 36 hours and using a hammer to get the brush through the bore, I eventually got all the lead out.

I took it to the range and shot 300 or so rounds of Federal high velocity 36 grain HP out of it. It shot fine and did not lead up.

I don't think I'll ever shoot Thunderbolts again.