Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Owning Up To Mistakes

dajarrel

" Moralists warn against the spurious sorrow that afflicts

the first-person plural of so many collective apologies: We

erred, says the penitent, though he clearly intends to

shift blame and odium to his fellows."

--"The Week," [4]National Review, April 19, 2004

It seems that shifting the blame is nationally recognized. I've always taught my Son to own up to his mistakes.

It would be kinda neat, although idealistic, if everyone would actually take the blame for their mistakes. We would learn alot more and move on alot quicker.

FWIW

dj

Ha! I should have had you pegged as an NR subscriber! B)

I'm getting my sub renewed as my Father's Day present.

The writing in the magazine is so eloquent that I place it in a class by itself.

Regards, SGJ

I would suspect that this inability to accept resposibilities for ones' own actions is a leading cause of the problems we have in relations; personal, business and in society. That and the old ism, "Do unto others, as you would have them do unto you." Or take it a step further, "think of others as you would have them think of you." Let's all bridge the gap ;)

It seems that shifting the blame is nationally recognized.

dj

AMEN, Brother!

But I thought political postings weren't allowed on this forum? :blink:

That is so, but how is a discussion on responsibility a political topic? There is an answer that might make it so, but it is to sad to contemplate.

IMHO the trend of blame shifting started when we changed the way we raise children. Used to be that society as a whole disciplined the children.

Now if you say something to someone else’s children the parent basically attacks you. So children learn that it is not their fault.

This turns into frivolous lawsuits... It must be someone else’s fault.

(Didn't come out eloquently, but I hope it makes sense.) :rolleyes:

One of the most profoundly moving times in my young life was when something went wrong when I was working for one of my Dad's friends. I fully expected to be scapegoated, as when I had worked for a couple of jerks before. Then I heard, "I'm sorry, I made a mistake."

In sixteen years, I had never heard those words from an adult before.