Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Worn Finish - Warren/Sevigny Rear Sight

Captains1911

The black finish on the sharp edges of my Warren/Sevigny Competition rear sight has worn to where it's shiny and somewhat distracting under certain lighting conditions.  I emailed Warren Tactical asking if this is normal, and what if anything they recommend I do to repair it, but received no response. Just curious if anybody here has experienced this, and if so, any ideas on how to remedy it?  I thought that perhaps Birchwood Casey Cold Blue may work, but haven't tried it yet.

Edited by Captains1911

26 minutes ago, rishii said:

Brichwood Casey also sells a super black instant touch up pen that should work in gloss and flat black 

it works like a magic marker with paint instead of ink

I actually picked one of these up at lunch time from a local shop.  I am going to try it first. 

Is this common with this particular brand of sights?  I've not had this issue with any of my other sights.

Hmmm, they have always been great responding to me.

Mine have slightly worn too, only the edge and not the back face. Maybe you have to sand off the face and refinish everything so it's more uniform? Or maybe this is a good time to buy new sights if you have been wanting to try something new.

sight black. comes in a spray can. Or rub some blue on the edges. It's a tool, its going to wear. If its really bothering you send them off to be DLC coated and reinstall.

I have had very worn silver edges on my Bomars, dawsons, heinies, and warren/sevigny sights....  trijicons... etc. I found If I'm focusing on the front sight I only see a blur of the rear notch anyway. If the rear sight edges were to shiny, I just rubbed cold blue on them every once in a while or hit them with a sharpie.

2 hours ago, sfinney said:

sight black. comes in a spray can. Or rub some blue on the edges. It's a tool, its going to wear. If its really bothering you send them off to be DLC coated and reinstall.

I have had very worn silver edges on my Bomars, dawsons, heinies, and warren/sevigny sights....  trijicons... etc. I found If I'm focusing on the front sight I only see a blur of the rear notch anyway. If the rear sight edges were to shiny, I just rubbed cold blue on them every once in a while or hit them with a sharpie.

To use sight black, do you have to remove the sight from the gun?

Actually, it's not a tool, it's a part designed for a competition "fun" gun. However, I own several sets of many other types of sights, some of which have seen way more use than these, have been carried and trained with for years, and show no such signs of wear. 

Edited by Captains1911

It seems the Sevingys and Warrens I've used did lose their finish pretty fast.

Old school sight black, was you spray the black sooty stuff out of a spray can, and yes it gets all over the gun. You can wipe it off with a cloth if desired. Its not for looking pretty, just flat, and black.

Some used to use a lighter to burn soot onto the sights as well.

Totally understand the desire to have your gun not only functional, but good looking, and not "worn". I always let my competition guns show the honest wear, as a badge of honor. But then again, I'm not into "pretty" guns.