Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

No Ipsc For 15 Months

Wakal

I was going to call this "No Shooting For 15 Months", but I can't actually say that. "No IPSC" is accurate, though ;)

Just got my orders yesterday: I leave for a unspecified location, uniform not authorized, with support from the Incirlik Air Base, Turkey, Military Personnel Flight. While not even my commander knows exactly where I'm going, we have some ideas. The job should be great fun, but I'll be giving up all my personal life...including Liota!

She got orders yesterday for Osan Air Base, South Korea, for duty there during the same time I'll be in the unspecified location not wearing a uniform.

At least six months (at a time) doing what may be a terribly cool job...away from Liota, no IPSC, no "fun" shooting, no machine shop to build wild and wacky "stuff"...I'll have to take up knitting.

We need a "Love/Hate" forum for good/bad threads like this :P

Comments welcome.

AlexIalreadyhaveanAirsoftSxIWakal

Stay safe, buddy - both of you.

Knitting bad, dryfire good. Hell, dryfire like a madman with that airsoft gun for a year and half and you can come back and win the steel challenge!

That could never happen...that's crazy...

- Gabe

Wakal,

Good luck on your tour-the adventure is about to begin.

For Liota, Osan is a "nice" place to land (in Korea) for a tour. I was at an armpit known as Camp Humphreys for a year and we would go to Osan/SongTon on weekends as it is nicer.

Good Luck,

Dave

Alex and Liota

First off thank you very much for your service and dedication. Stay safe and I hope to see you some day at a match.

Take care, Craig

BTW the barrel and comp are working great!

I have it on good authority there is as yet no IPSC club in Turkey Alex. As long as you are not wearing a uniform, camo being contraindicated in the rule book, you might wind up being the Regional Director for Turkey if you get a couple of shooting matches going. Get 'r done and get back home in one piece.

May you both have a glorious adventure and a safe return!

Dale

Location sounds like the Diyarbakir/Pirinclik area where I spent some time in the late 60's on the Air Force's dime. This time of year the area has some color, but with summer everything will turn to brown. When I was there, camel caravans were common on the way to town. Nice Roman ruins in Diyarbakir, but not a location to spend quality time. Have fun.

Thanks, everyone!

We probably won't leave for our respective ends of the Earth until the week after Christmas, so we both have six months of whining left :)

I was on temporary duty in Incirlik back in '96; lots of great deals on shotguns (fitted, engraved over/under shotguns in a walnut case for $200) but that was about it.

Ah, Regional Director Wakal...that would have a nice ring to it :P

Alex

Alex,

First, best wishes for both of you.

Second, on a more selfish note, and this being the hate forum, I hate having a new Tx State 3-Gun match director for at least 1, maybe 2 years.

What does "unspecified location, uniform not authorized" mean? Is that convenient mil-speech for something?

Lee

No worries; there is a cadre of folks at the San Angelo gun club who can do just as well (or better) as the MD of the Texas State 3-Gun :) Kelly "Mr. San Angelo Scoring" McCoy ran the first one, I ran the next two, and Fred Hindman will probably run next year's match. I should be back in 2007 (about two months before the match; just enough time to be a CRO on a stage :P ).

To answer the questions about my assignment...the "pre-orders" are a six-page heap of densely-written military-ese. The first page, where Liota's paperwork says "gaining unit: 7 Information Warfare Flight, Osan Air Base Republic of Korea", mine says: "data masked."

Ohhhh...secret squirrel stuff... :blink:

However...not very smart squirrels. On the bottom of the sixth page, my paperwork tells me that my support functions will be handled through 39MSS (the code for Incirlik Air Base, Turkey), that only civilian clothes are allowed, and that I have to have a diplomatic passport.

If I wasn't in the Air Farce, I'd think that I would be doing some cool Clark/Ryan sort of stuff. However, being Air Farce, I expect to be in a basement somewhere doing nothing of importance. However, I'll be doing it in soft clothes instead of a uniform ;)

Then again, I wear BDU's at work, and wear single-colour BDU pants off-duty...so not much of a change :lol:

Alex