Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rear sight came loose

LeviSS

Does anything stay tight on these guns?

Shooting tonight and at the end of the session I happened to touch my rear sight.  I thought I felt it wiggle, and sure enough, it's loose.

So I took the adjustment screw out and both of the set screws are very loose.

How do you guys secure these?  I'm assuming clean the threads with a solvent.  Then do you use red or blue LOC tite?  Any tips or tricks?

I cleaned and used blue loctite. Also check underneath, there should be two small springs, i lost one of mine which was causing it to loosen.

This happened to me during a club match and that match was lost.  That was when i decided i needed a backup gun.

Don't be afraid to put loctite on the mating surface between the slide and the sight. Degrease it really well first, this is key to getting loctite to work properly. The loctite on the surface will help in giving it some stick,

12 minutes ago, goldfish said:

I cleaned and used blue loctite. Also check underneath, there should be two small springs, i lost one of mine which was causing it to loosen.

This happened to me during a club match and that match was lost.  That was when i decided i needed a backup gun.

When I took out the elevation screw, there was one spring.

Are you talking about under the top folding part of the sight or under the entire sight in the dovetail section?

1 hour ago, LeviSS said:

When I took out the elevation screw, there was one spring.

Are you talking about under the top folding part of the sight or under the entire sight in the dovetail section?

I have  one sight with 2 springs and one with one spring. Both "super sights".

Funny, but both of them the screws were loose... very loose. But the dovetails were so tight i thought the pusher was going to break.

2 minutes ago, johnbu said:

I have  one sight with 2 springs and one with one spring. Both "super sights".

Funny, but both of them the screws were loose... very loose. But the dovetails were so tight i thought the pusher was going to break.

Ok... Thanks.

These are both loose, but it only wiggles, maybe sliding 1/16" total back and forth.  I couldn't push it either direction very far by hand.

How do you secure it to keep it in place?

41 minutes ago, ryridesmotox said:

I wonder what would happen if Someone used the search function for "rear sight"

It would probably bring up a bunch of irrelevant topics, sights for sale, etc...

And the one topic where you had the same problem as me.

In all fairness I did google it.

Through de-grease, locktite blue.  will keep the screws tight. I put it in the holes and on the screw.

One  thing, that stuff does dissolve with solvents. Brake cleaner has acetone and that strips it off.

Blue Loctite will work but clean surfaces first as others suggested.  You can also use green Loctite, which is designed to wick into assembled parts and that might hold things together for you if you don't want to or can't get the sight off.  No matter what, do NOT use red Loctite.   If you do, you may never get it loose again, even if you have to.  Both green and blue can be disassembled.

23 minutes ago, DougM said:

No matter what, do NOT use red Loctite.   If you do, you may never get it loose again, even if you have to.

Is that based on personal experience?

I haven't used it on a Tanfo yet, but the sights on my Glock's and M&Ps always went back on with red loctite, and I've never had issues disassembling the slide afterward.

You'll lose the front post on a Glock if you try to use blue.

12 hours ago, LeviSS said:

It would probably bring up a bunch of irrelevant topics, sights for sale, etc...

And the one topic where you had the same problem as me.

In all fairness I did google it.

There are ways to use the search function where it searches just this part of the forum, just for future reference.

Hey, Memphis.  Yes, the red loctite problem was based on experience.  If you properly degrease everything and apply red loctite, you usually have to add a fair amount of heat to get it to break loose.   I had to do that with a soldering iron on my M&P rear sight. 

They use red to hold brake calipers on motorcycle wheels and if you don't have a torch to heat things up, you will break something.  I won't touch red unless I know I can get heat to it if necessary.  Green and blue have worked fine for me in the past and can be broken loose.  Not sure about why your Glock sight has an issue with blue but I guess it can happen.