Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stock 2 FTE

MissionaryMike

Hey, guys. I'm not very good at diagnosing issues like this one. Basically, the failure to extract is not a stove pipe, or anything similar where the casing fails to extract fully on its way out.   It more less looks like you didn't want to come out at all. I noticed the three FTEs in my last range session b/c the slide wouldn't close. When I checked it out, the case was just barely stuck in the chamber.   The round below it was obviously trying to take its place and adding some pressure from the bottom. 

Is this a matter of the mag spring being  too weak or too strong? I did feel like the slide was a little sluggish with my loads, using a 9 pound spring. Perhaps a 10 pound spring would help? Lastly I'm thinking it might of been an issue with the dimensions of my reloads. I checked them all in my Hundo case gauge, but I did Not plunk and spin each one. My barrel is reamed by Beven. Anyway, let me know what you guys think. Thanks.

Could be an ammo issue.
I have the same thing happen with new or used extractors. Stock or reshaped.....but ONLY with Blazer Brass and Winchester White box (value pack) ammo.
NO other ammo I have tried has had it happen even once. (gun has about 7000 rounds in it now)

Edited by IronArcher

Will the extractor hold a loaded round on the breach face?  One of my Limited Elites in 40 has to have the extractor fitted to work.  I have to remove a little material from the pad behind the extractor hook.  My other limited works fine with an unaltered extractor. 

Can be as simple as crap build up on the extractor area. Remove it and clean it and the breech face. Is the chamber clean too?

I "assume" you already chamfered the bottom edge of the breech face.

8 hours ago, IronArcher said:

Could be an ammo issue.
I have the same thing happen with new or used extractors. Stock or reshaped.....but ONLY with Blazer Brass and Winchester White box (value pack) ammo.
NO other ammo I have tried has had it happen even once. (gun has about 7000 rounds in it now)

I use Blazer and Winchester almost exclusively, lol. 

7 hours ago, ebg3 said:

Will the extractor hold a loaded round on the breach face?  One of my Limited Elites in 40 has to have the extractor fitted to work.  I have to remove a little material from the pad behind the extractor hook.  My other limited works fine with an unaltered extractor. 

Yes, it does. 

35 minutes ago, johnbu said:

Can be as simple as crap build up on the extractor area. Remove it and clean it and the breech face. Is the chamber clean too?

I "assume" you already chamfered the bottom edge of the breech face.

Yes, it's chamfered. In all honestly, the gunisnt that dirty. Only a few hundred rounds.  

Im going to do the easiest thing first and install an extra power extractor spring, and see how it goes.