Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

French Cuts on SS Slide - Legal?? CRO/ROs please advise

rugerp89ipsc

Hey guys.  I have 2 1911 9mm SS that I am having work done.  I am currently making weight, but I would like to get ball cuts in a French Cut style into the to top of the slides to match my Dawson Precision Limited pistol.  This would be one on each side on the round top of the slide.  Obviously this is going to cut some weight.  I have no idea if it's a significant amount, or how much weight defines a significant amount.

Rules state:

Authorized modifications -

Milling of the slide to insert sights, add or remove serrations, such as cocking or flat topping, tri-topping the slide, lowering ejection ports, cuts that are minor and cosmetic in nature are permitted. Duplicating features that are on a factory, mass produced slide available to the general public is permitted. Cuts that are designed to specifically or significantly lighten the slide, such as holes, or slots, are ruled as competitive advantage and prohibited.

Prohibited modifications and features -

Slide lightening, cuts, ports, or any milling deemed to provide a competitive advantage.
So, CRO/SO, would these cuts be deemed acceptable or to provide a competitive advantage?  Anyone else running a 1911 with old styled French Cuts?  I have included a pic of the style of cut I want that's currently on my Dawson gun and my SS 9mm I want to cut.

Dawson Gun.jpg

13009743_10153673493212017_925988495_o.jpg

Edited by rugerp89ipsc

Since they are decorative, it would probably pass.  You did mention that they would save weight, so that's not good.

I'd suggest to send it to Troy for a ruling.  If he is able to provide the ruling, i'd print it out and keep it with you as you shoot.

Was thinking french cut as the thin line cut that runs the full length of the slide. That to me doesn't really help in cutting weight.  The front ball cuts though, I too had them on my limited gun, definitely are there to cut weight.  Sending to Troy is your best bet. 

yeah, any material removed, even the serrations, is obviously going to cut weight.  I have no idea how much weight this would be.  Cant be any more than tri topping. 

I'll email Troy.  Am I describing it correctly?  Are those considered French cuts or something else?  I have no idea what they are made with, but it looks to be some sort of ball milling.

Appreciate the info guys. 

That was my thought.  The cuts are less than tri topping, aren't all the way through, but it will remove weight.  Whether or not that provides a competitive advantage, I don't really think so.

Besides, shooting minor at Nationals is mostly not competitive and Nationals is the only match I've been to where the pistol go much scrutiny other than box and weight at the chrono.