Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide Weight? (Lightening)

JHOWARD

Hopefully this hasnt been beat to death, but who has done it? 

I'm thinking this may be a worthwhile thing for my setup, but I'm not trying to ruin my reliability.  Is it an obvious change for the better? Seems like it would be, but I dont have anything to base that off of but the science in my own head, which is yes, less reciprocating mass leads to less "flip" and less forward momentum when the slide is locking forward. And for those who have done it. Is there a formula that you found worked best? Less weight on front, rear, or just a balance of both?

I have been adding frame weight. I'm considering an SJC weight or their heavy optics mount next to compliment my brass magwell.  Thanks. 

i  did  some   experimentation    with couple  limited  guns myself.  found  that  a  lightened  slide  cycles  faster, so the  front lift  is  kind  of  a  little more  hmmm   snappy ,   but  it  also   get back  down  on sight faster  too. depends  on  what you're  confortable  with.

i've  also  found  that  the  areas  of  the slide    where  you  shaves  some material  has  something  to  do with mitigating the  front lift  which  is  an inherent  result  of  lightening  the slide  ;  from my  experience   shaving on the  front and  the  rear  of  the slide (nothing between  near   the breech level)  kind  of  gets  me  a  better  feel  as  felt recoil goes.  some of  my  glocks  got  more  weight removed  up  front, so the   front snap  is  maybe  more  felt in my hands.  i  guess it's  a matter  of what you're   more  confortable  with .

i  guess  vogel  wouldn't  see  a  difference loll.

Edited by sigsauerfan

On 1/12/2017 at 10:41 PM, sigsauerfan said:

i  did  some   experimentation    with couple  limited  guns myself.  found  that  a  lightened  slide  cycles  faster, so the  front lift  is  kind  of  a  little more  hmmm   snappy ,   but  it  also   get back  down  on sight faster  too. depends  on  what you're  confortable  with.

i've  also  found  that  the  areas  of  the slide    where  you  shaves  some material  has  something  to  do with mitigating the  front lift  which  is  an inherent  result  of  lightening  the slide  ;  from my  experience   shaving on the  front and  the  rear  of  the slide (nothing between  near   the breech level)  kind  of  gets  me  a  better  feel  as  felt recoil goes.  some of  my  glocks  got  more  weight removed  up  front, so the   front snap  is  maybe  more  felt in my hands.  i  guess it's  a matter  of what you're   more  confortable  with .

i  guess  vogel  wouldn't  see  a  difference loll.

This. You really need to shoot a gun with a lightened slide to make sure it is what you want. A 35 with a lightened slide just feels violent in my opinion but your opinion may be different. After shooting one it was obvious to me that the slide lightening on a .40 Glock was a no go for me. Now the 9mm guns are a totally different story...

31 minutes ago, Norone said:

Taxil343, Same for me. I am experimenting with adding weight to the front of 35 slide.

imo problem with adding even more  weight to  a  35  front   is  it  result  in  some  noze  dive  after  shot recovery.  the  trick with glock pistol  is  adding weight on the lowest part of  the pistol (brass magwell , front rail, tungsten GR,  ) and  removing weight on the  slide  which is  a  moving part. it  is  by adding weight  then balancing that  weight  that  you may  fing  some  speed  and  a   more  stable    gun who  returns  on the  sights  faster  generally  speaking.

Edited by sigsauerfan

This is for 9mm and yes, I want to add frame weight and reduce slide weight. I have a brass magwell, thinking I can tune my spring and load to avoid making the slide more violent. It's for 3 gun, so as long as it knocks over steel and is accurate, it doesn't have to meet any type of minimum power factor.

i'd  leave  the 13lbs  RS (assuming it's already in instead  of  the oem 17lbs RS) . if  you use  sub 125PF  ammo, maybe  keeping a  11lbs RS  around  for  some  experimentation  wouldn't be  a  bad  idea, while  i  suspect the  slide  might  hit the  slide  stop harder.

I have a G35 with a lightened slide.  Less mass sounds like a good idea but don't forget when you reduce the mass it will also be traveling faster with all other things being equal.  At first I like it because it cycled fast and came back on target faster.  It didn't take long to get sick of the violent feeling recoil.

At the end of the day I have an expensive glock that I never shoot because I switched to an STI Edge.  Turns out the investment I made in it was a waste of money.

IMO just shoot your glock the way it is until you switch to a different gun.

45 minutes ago, darkvibe said:

I have a G35 with a lightened slide.  Less mass sounds like a good idea but don't forget when you reduce the mass it will also be traveling faster with all other things being equal.  At first I like it because it cycled fast and came back on target faster.  It didn't take long to get sick of the violent feeling recoil.

At the end of the day I have an expensive glock that I never shoot because I switched to an STI Edge.  Turns out the investment I made in it was a waste of money.

IMO just shoot your glock the way it is until you switch to a different gun.

OR....add  the  SJC  frame  weight to  compound  for  the now  more  snappy muzzle  flip.